"Ground Pound" should be magic, not mundane bludgeon skill

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Albus, Aug 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albus

Albus Avatar

Do others, as I do, find "ground pound" (bludgeon) annoying as a mundane martial arts attack, while imagining it acceptable if it were some form of magic?

As a martial arts (bludgeon) attack, "Ground Pound" is inherently absurd, I can find no argument for it. No real fighter "pounds the ground" with an axe or hammer to harm other people standing around him. If we want a bludgeon attack that hits people all around us, why not convert this to something with a much more plausible spinning animation (as with the equivalent pole-arm "spinning attack" or blades "whirlwind blades" glyphs), and name it "Wild Swing" or some such?

Meanwhile, a new, magical "ground pound" combo could be added in place of the old "ground pound," combining some bludgeon attack with some earth glyph to "pound the ground" for some magical effect? Thus lovers of ground pounding can still enjoy the magic of ground pounding, while some semblance of realism is preserved in the pure bludgeon (mundane martial arts) tree. The new ground pound can be seen as more realistic in a magical world where earth magic and bludgeon combine such that pounding with the bludgeon triggers an earth magic response, causing the earth to harm those standing around the ground pounder.

Seeing a change like this would make my sense of martial realism happy, without robbing the SoTA world of a form of "ground pound" :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.