Group Mining

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Black Tortoise, Jul 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Mining seems like a sure and steady way to get some solid crafting exp. Its also very profitable. Players have a lot of incentive to mine frequently and for lengthy sessions.

Mining can also get real boring since there arent a lot of scenes. Some are efficient but small and super repetitive (spectral mines, graff gem mines). Some are really inefficient and require a lot of running around and slaying NPCs that lack meaning and are just annoying (elysium, verdantis). Other scenes have such poor yields that the scenes are virtually worthless for mining (serpent's spine, etceter crag). Sometimes I want the yield of an all day play session of mining, but, I cant tolerate these scenes anymore due to repetition and boredom, so I stop after 1 hour.

I get the feeling that mining would be more fun if I did it with 2-3 other players in our own instance. I dont see any incentive, currently, to mining as a group (other than the obsidian forge - which is a cool idea!). I would like it if, for example, when a node is mined, all players in the group can win somehow, provided they have clicked on a node at some point in the last 3 minutes and are otherwise "actively" playing. Thats just an idea, Im open to anything that incentivizes groups of players to mine together, hunt together, lumberjack together, etc. We have some incentives to fishing together, but hey, lets add more there too!

Ideaz for group mining could be:

+ everyone simply gets like a +50% meticulous bonus
    + nodes respawn 5x faster
    + crafting exp gain bonus
    + high swift gathering bonus when grouped players stand near each other
    + mobs dont respawn, or respawn very slow
    + way more nodes
    + nodes are conveniently clustered together
    + all players get exact same loot for mining a node (again, provided they are "actively mining" as well)
    + mini quests of some kind that require 2+ players

Group mining sounds like it would solve the boredom problem, or at least make it less boring. At least, itd be kind of like fishing contests, having someone else to chat with in the same scene. Any other thoughts or ideas?

Fister Magee, Gravidy and Ataniiq like this.
  2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Yeah, it would be really nice if I could go mining with Viola and we weren't just cutting into each others take home.

I think a mine with more enemies is needed if we're going to have higher rewards. Then split those rewards across the party members. So one person is mining, the other is keeping the mobs off.

I really think they should do something like that with wood too. Let us set up a lumber mill. The big current trees are the target. Little trees become the "whack three times for 1 wood" trees.

So it takes a full day (1/2 hour) of whacking to get the tree down and chopped into "Wood". During that time you are getting waves of incoming bandits that are trying to burn your mill, so someone has to be whacking and then operating the mill until it is done. Others have to keep fighting. At the end of 1/2 an hour you get an appropriately large pile of wood. 100? 200? I don't know.

I could see the same thing in mines.

Sentinel2, Gravidy, Elrond and 3 others like this.
  3. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

So as an idea, what about an earth elemental boss that gives ore as loot? Perhaps even using slime splitting mechanics. Such that damaging the boss causes smaller ore elementals to pop out. The smaller eles can be looted for ore. Copper Elementals are already in game in brf iirc and they give a little bit of copper ore on kill. Expand on that. Perhaps even having a mechanism to where the boss can be stunned and people can harvest on the boss for larger goodies.

4. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I think this is cool, and its kind of like a Reaper dropping some wood when it dies.

Some people do actually like playing a minor though :) so while I advocate for more avenues for accessing ore / resources, Id also like to improve mining for the miners.

5. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

To see you and raise you on this. Hp bar could just cause knockdown for a period of time. Miners would then need to harvest nodes on the boss to cause permanent damage and collect resources to boot. Thus high critical high speed miners would be desired to chip away at the boss. If the material the boss "dropped" was a valuable material, meticulous could be a tradeoff on obtaining more vs. being vulnerable when it recovers. Evaluation of if number of resources obtained is what ultimately kills the boss, thus making meticulous desirable from a "damage" perspective.

6. tzindal

tzindal Avatar

I'm always disappointed when I come across a wood pile in game and cant loot It. I wood think that I should be able to grab some off the pile or better yet some timbers out of an old mine shaft or abandoned building.

Ataniiq, Sentinel2 and Jaesun like this.
  7. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Occasionally I've partied up with people who want to just mine but don't want to fight baddies all the time. Party up with me and I'll clear you a path :D

In game name is "Sentinel".

Happy Adventuring!

Black Tortoise and Jaesun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.