Halp.... Troubleshooting reproducible restart crashes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trihugger, Nov 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-to-restart-when-getting-shrine-buffs.103259/

That's the Critical Issue thread in which I've listed out what I've tried/thought the problem was/hoped & prayed.

Just to briefly recap:
    This is a brand new computer so even though I've passed a day long stress test that tested RAM, CPU, and GPU (I think it's called Real Bench, got it from the ASUS website) I guess I technically can't rule out hardware, even though this is the only thing that seems to do this and it isn't random. I have found intermittent tweaks that seem to act as a bandaid but then don't seem to always work.

The issue is me trying to pick up shrine blessings. My computer will automatically restart without a BSOD (nor any error in the event viewer) if I try to jump in the water bath (I don't actually make it in, I crash on the edge). If I log back in w/o taking the Novia shortcut all I need to do is pan my camera around said shrines to experience the same restart (or move, whichever).

What I've done (basically everything):
    1) DDU wiped my drivers and reinstalled (many times).

2) Clean installed older Windows builds (First from 1709 (Fall Creators) to 1703 (Creators) and then to 1607 (Pre-Creators) because this creator's update only created problems).

3) Tweaked Nvidia control panel settings involving g-sync, power, etc. No dice.

4) Tweaked Windows settings involving power. No dice.

5) Made sure there was no BSOD by having both BIOS and Windows not automatically restart on failures (Windows is a windows error while BIOS is power related).

6) Adjusted in-game settings (Full Screen/FS-Windowed/Windowed & Video settings) -- What seems to *kind-of* work (Most the time this works but hasn't been 100%) is to change the in game graphics preset settings (Fastest-Fantastic variety), get the shrine buffs, and then turn them back to whatever they were at. This causes other problems and I typically have to close and re-launch the game to get non-awful frame rates again.

7) After each drive wipe and windows re-install I've tried running the game with only what Windows auto-installs first (to no avail), and then a DDU wipe of those display drivers and installing sequentially from 385.something drivers to see if I have any luck. Basically I don't install anything else except the bare bones minimum to see if there's some other software conflict...that somehow only hates something about shrine buffs.

Last thing I've got to try is reverting any BIOS changes I've made (except capping the CPU voltage because for whatever reason Coffee Lake and the new Motherboards simply want to zap themselves to death) and see if that doesn't magically fix this one isolated issue. Stranger things have happened I guess.

The setup is as follows:
    -i7 8700k - All-core-Sync "overclock" (basically it runs all the cores at the max turbo frequency which is 4.7 GHz). Temps during gaming are ~40 C and temps during stress testing were ~ 60 C. Voltage manually capped at 1.25 Vcore and could probably go lower.
    -Two ASUS 2k resolution 144 Hz g-sync monitors connected via Display Port (Nvidia drivers for sound, at the time of writing this haven't tested w/o any Nvidia sound drivers)
    -Dolby Digital 7.1 Headphones for when I'm in discord (Fiber connection)
    -32 gb 3200 14cl RAM (8gb x 4 kit) - RAM Temps are typically ~30-35 C
    -Samsung 960 Pro 1 TB main drive Samsung 960 Evo 1 TB data (Both in PCI-E x4 mode & latest Firmware)
    -1000W Platinum Rated PSU - Corsair HWI something something in case I ever felt the itch to SLI
    -Asus Maximus ROG Hero X motherboard. Latest BIOS.
    -Corsair Pro fan controller so I'm running Corsair Link as well.
    -1080 Ti Aorus Extreme Edition GPU

Obviously I'm at my wits end so I'm turning it over to see if any of you guys can think of something I've missed. I'm open to pretty much anything except going to Linux. Thanks in advance.

2. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Will test on QA when I get home. Maybe magic will happen.

3. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I assume you're running Win 10 x64 Pro?

Try to run "shroud of the avatar.exe" in compatibility mode... Locate this file and right click, select properties>compatibility tab and change settings...

Hope this helps...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.