Hats off to Atos and streaming!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by macnlos, Mar 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I agree this new form of QA done in chris’ spare time is unacceptable. The influx of info about shipping status of pledges, exact rare drop rates, live bug reports, and telling us the standup notes are being worked out and will be caught up soon is no excuse.

Im tired of them not responding to my “answer me now or else” posts and im afraid i can give this game no more of my time. Goodbye shroud. See you after work.

Tldr: i too am enjoying the new QA sessions \o/

2. Doctorface

Doctorface Avatar

Needs to stop wanting to make new players sticky, other than that 10/10

Gravidy likes this.
  3. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

You had me goin there. I need coffee.

4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

LoL. You and me both. Needed to read it 3 times ^^

Duke Olahorand and macnlos like this.
  6. Gravidy

Gravidy Avatar

In other games I play, the common complaint is: "do the developers even play the game?!" Chris has admitted that it can be hard to find time to actually play and experience the pain points. The stream gives him a great opportunity to not only play the game, but to do it live, with immediate player feedback. I'm really impressed with this.

*/me throws more bits in the pizza fund*

7. oplek

oplek Avatar

Don't get me wrong. I plan on watching this latest one later. My bandwidth isn't great, and because Twitch hasn't lent him transcoding, it's about the only thing I'll be doing online.

... but seriously? Info about shipping updates? Did he really cover that? Why the hell is that not in an announcement post? Why is this buried in an unannounced inefficient non-searchable medium? Fail. That's kind of my point, particularly when it seems to be mutually exclusive with normal, regularly anticipated methods of communication. These streams are great as bonus material, but the rest of the communication shouldn't be suffering for it.

There's no question Chris busts his ass on this game, but Starr seems to take the public-relations and community management more seriously (and takes more time to consider what's said)... when he's available. They thought they could wear the hats of both Berek and Serafina... they were wrong, and the hats are falling off.

It's not like these are new concepts. It's not even about Chris, exactly. If Berek was still here, he'd be all over this... announcements, social media, followup posts/etc. It's not like these are difficult things - posting the stream link, and topics covered, in a daily blog post, recruiting some community help, etc. They should know better. Not enough bandwidth? Maybe don't fire a key component of a community-driven operation?

I used to think that they actions they were taking, that I didn't understand, were just because I didn't see the wisdom. I don't think that anymore.

Xandra7 and Elnoth like this.
  8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Bring back Bilbo! If you want to make new players sticky, play with them.

//waiting impatiently to watch him do some questing.

And yes, this is good.

9. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

@Chris casual blogs are awesome. The man is so open, honest and candid that he provides a breath of fresh air in a sterile, litigiousness, greedy industry that promises the earth and delivers barren, risk-averse and empty updates.

The 'Atos Show' has an absorption factor and timing that may evolve into a classic comedy/entertainment series, what with 'the ever sleeping dog' and charming daughter shouting 'you're a Pirate?!' and Chris' 'du-du-da-doo' tune every few minutes :) it's all just good, simple heartwarming stuff. with loads of detail and the excellent 'why we do it this way' insights.

Anyone who wants to make an ass of themselves grumbling about the format, the time spent, the related impact (unlikely) on the lack of formal comms via other means needs to take a long walk in the hills, have a stiff drink and maybe get out more.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Wow, there are those who will find anything to complain about.

11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I too am happy that Chris is finding the time to stream his actual game-play, as long as they're all archived on twitch.
    Are they ?

Remescao and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  12. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

not that i can find, no.

FrostII likes this.
  13. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Good point, better be uploading to Youtube!

YouTube is important as well, anyway. And it looks like you can tag better there so can lazer focus on certain groups.

Remescao likes this.
  14. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

Which makes him streaming harder to hold his feet to the fire if there is no written record of it, nor is there any video archive. I would prefer written if he is going to discuss things that are development related. PLAYING I have zero problems and they all need to play with a "CREATED Character not GOD or custom generated where he can make his stats what ever he wants.

FrostII likes this.
  15. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

Jaesun and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  16. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Wha?

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  17. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

More of this indeed! His Facebook post needed fixing though! I did it for him:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ed-your-twitch-post-on-facebook-chris.152903/

Also @macnlos while I understand criticism of the game, what I don't understand is your criticism, all of a sudden, of people dancing in-game. This is especially confusing since you were my 2nd top bits contributor on my stream during my Friday night shows about 6 months ago. I'm sad that you've changed your mind about that. Peace.

Also, viewers can make clips of their own of streamers livestreams that are saved in their clips section. If you want something archived you can help do that as well. The tool even has an automatic download feature of clips that can easily be re-uploaded to youtube.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  18. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Stop using (google) youtube, let them upload their videos to Dtube. They can even earn some $$$ crypto's at the same time for their videos and views.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  19. bugmaster77

bugmaster77 Avatar

Some of you might remember I posted here in the forums a while back pleading with the Devs to actually PLAY their game, my reasoning being that otherwise they would never have first-hand knowledge of why their game is suffering from low-player counts. Quite a few people agreed with me.

Apparently, so did Chris.

So, to all you people whining about him not doing his job, he is in fact doing exactly that. And, he is taking advice from players, showing that he is doing so in a way you can see directly, yourself. I suggested he do this, and, lo and behold, he is. Not only that, but he took my advice and went one step further--he is streaming it to show that he is actually doing it. Kudos, Chris.

Keep in mind that Chris did not create this ENTIRE game--many people also worked alongside him, creating aspects of the game he had no involvement in. This is his opportunity to experience things as we players do, to see for himself what needs work, what needs more polish, what needs to be abandoned, what needs to happen to make the game FUN and entertaining to play. If Chris thinks something is boring, perhaps he'll fix it rather than assume the whiners are just whining again.

We just need to get him to group up with Starr and Richard on regular basis. Both of them need to understand what we as players FEEL when we play. Descriptions in a forum never accurately portray emotions--these need to be experienced first-hand.

Sincerely,
    Cozy Firesong

20. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

LOL... My #1 favorite event was the Birthday / Dance thing in the Rise. Hey, I'm all for having fun in this game in any way possible. But when the game becomes a series of dancing and now fishing events... well that gets a bit much. People call it Sims of the Avatar for a reason. I can't say I don't disagree and I could have saved a lot of time and money and just played Sims 4 with my daughter

I like Beats of Novia and I appreciate what you do on it. No buts, let that stand on its own.

Regardless... I really like what Chris is doing and I'm hoping it has positive effects on him and the community for the game.

Remescao and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.