Have the big publishers awoken?

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by hanskrsg, Aug 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hanskrsg

hanskrsg Avatar

There has been many games on kickstarter and other croudfunding pages, who wants to go back to the "old-school" way of doing things, and many have had great success, like SotA has (at the funding part, we have yet to see if any of these games makes great success after the profuction is done). Do you think that this has made some big publishers begin thinking about funding projects that they would otherwise never dare to throw money into?

I don't know if we will see this at Bethesda and EA, but seems that Ubisoft wants a part of the business of old-school games, as they are making a turn-based 4-party singleplayer rpg where you can only move in 90 degrees at a time. Do you think they will be successfull, or is the market for this too small for the big publishers? Will they even manage to "get" what the people who uses millions on kickstarter projects actually want out of a game?

2. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I think Indie devs in general are getting enough attention that the money grubbers publishers are looking for a way to squeeze into it. Most big publishers are really more concerned about limiting choices than pleasing consumers. Traditionally that's what publishing (of any media) does, restrict access to content to their distribution channels. That's how they make money and control prices.

If ANYONE could make games for consoles do you really think their games would be $60-70? I think big published games will still be around for mass-market games (We have both types of games: Call of Duty and Halo!), but I think the future of creative products are focusing on smaller, specialized audiences which big pub will never be good at because they simply don't know how to profit off them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.