Holidays in New Britannia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by enderandrew, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The IPs are separate but that does not force us to abandon everything we know and start over from scratch. Avatar for example.. is not something owned by EA. The natives have lost more of their knowledge as part of the story as to why direct references are not made. If this was indeed an entirely new world.. there would be no need for a backstory and wipes out all prior knowledge.

All necessary changes have been made but evidence of that connection between Ultima and SotA still exists. Such as the prior existence of 2 moons in both lore and Daedelus.

Make no mistake.. this is a continuation. We just can't call it Ultima for legal reasons. Otherwise there would be no reason to call the world NEW Britannia.. no reason to use the term Avatar.. travel between worlds via 'lunar rift'? Come on! This is the closet thing to Ultima X we can get. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Holiday Constraints within reason, then fill in the blanks... o_O
    No matter what holidays are defined to, people will still celebrate when their customs meet a calender. Those may or may not regard lore, where the stars are or even what we wish to place on a calender. Here in Thailand's King just had his 87th birthday, which is a really big deal here where fireworks as large as 10 city blocks fill the skies and come close to burning your eyeballs approaching nuclear proportions o_O and Thailand being a nation full of Buddhists, there are many "Santa Shops" selling XMass things in great numbers.
    My point is that, "just like the world did with XMass" we may need to choose dates for these based on the most popular world recognized holiday date that falls within that month, if holidays are to become monthly.
    So, barrow the date and fill in the blanks with something that sounds Ultima to celebrate it with.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

That was precisely what I tried to do.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

One suggestion I would put forth.. is try not to overlap NB and Earth holidays.. rather try for a small offset. The reason being that most people who will want to celebrate holidays in-game will be busy also celebrating in real life. Taking the Christmas example.. if the December holiday.. whatever it may be.. is celebrated on the 24th or 25th.. most people who care will be too busy with real life family. If on the other hand it's say.. on the 15th or 20th.. people will have more time for events.

Time Lord and enderandrew like this.
  5. enderandrew

I avoided specific dates and just listed a month to give people a little latitude for using their holiday items a little longer, or perhaps not logging into the game on the actual holiday itself.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

In most cases I did pretty much the same.. with the exception of King's Day which was inspired by Richard's actual birthday on July 4th. :) But eventually I think the community would develop traditional dates for events should any particular idea catch on. (I'm still fond of 'larder day'.. wish it were my idea :) )

Side note: I'm really bewildered as to why the previous thread was locked?? That was a good discussion. I had thought I had compiled everything back into the OP but see now I never got around to it. All the ideas beyond Feb. are stretched out over 6 pages.. but we did manage to get all 12 months in.

Nitpicking: Don't mind me but I was thinking.. how do the Christmas trees work? It's not like New Britannia has the tech to make tiny little light bulbs and not everyone is a mage?? Just saying.. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Since I apparently failed to compile previous ideas from last year in a single post.. would anyone mind if I posted what I sent to Richard just so it's all in one place? I've got it all in a doc I can just cut & paste.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Forget the trees, just remember the gifts :cool:

Time Lord and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:oops: Fireflies, that's how they do it here in Thailand :D

[​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

10. enderandrew

I'd love to see it. All I pulled from previous suggestions was the name Kingsday and what was written for Norac Day.

As for the Christmas lights, in the past some people put candles on Christmas trees. Some still do. But that strikes me as a massive fire hazard.

Bowen Bloodgood and Time Lord like this.
  11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ok cool.. it's a long read.. I will point out that what I tried to do here was get any many ideas I could to work together. So while a lot of it comes from me, a lot also comes from several others.

Last year Richard asked us to brain storm real world rituals (aka holidays etc) and so you shall receive. The following is a compilation of ideas from the community from the following threads.

https://shroudoftheavatar.com/forum...w-britannia-cultural-festivals-holidays.3948/
    https://shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/real-world-rituals-to-port-in-game.1263/

Along with some extras that probably just popped in my brain while typing.

Cultural traditions often mark memorable historical events. While historical records may be lost and no one truly remembers where traditions come from traditions never the less survive so long as people remember the traditions themselves.

In General
    Many events and holidays may have traditional foods, behaviors or even quests (official or otherwise) that may play a role in calculating virtues. Giving food to guards during a ‘Justice’ themed holiday for example.

As it is these suggestions are very generalized and I’ve tried to incorporate ideas from many individuals as best as they seemed to fit. Most months have been given a theme (mostly the virtues) some of which correspond to Earth holidays partly for convenience. Players can celebrate those holidays in-game but in the New Britannia traditions.

Many of the virtues should probably be obscured somewhat as a basis for any particular event. While I wanted to give the virtues a place in the culture the people obviously don’t remember them well. To most the meaning of any holiday is lost. There’s no reason it should be any different in New Britannia.

Note: A couple folks had different ideas as to which theme should go with each month. All names are just place holders. I don’t think anyone was especially set on any name for any event.

New Years - January
    The New Years theme is centered mainly around The Fall. that of endings and new beginnings (especially after hardship). This is really a two part scenario.

Nearby dungeons that may have been used as settlements have a certain significance here. Also the common themes of endings and beginnings in general are significant but primary focus is remembering the Fall and revival afterwards.

Part I – Endings. Remembering the Fall.
    This is a day or mourning. “Day of the Shattered Moon” where no lights are lit. People eat cold or preserved foods.

Part II – “Emergence” New Beginnings & Overcoming Tragedy.
    There is a banquet held (outdoors if possible) in view of Daedelus. Just imagine a typical new years party with lot of booze and general revelry. Where as the Day of the Shattered Moon is a relatively somber day, Emergence festivals tends to be very lively.

Towns with a dungeon nearby may have citizens taking a pilgrimage to the dungeon entrance where they’ll set up camp and have their banquet there as a reminder of where their ancestors emerged from.

It has been further suggested that this be about transformations, the old becoming the new and strongly associated with phoenixes.

February – Love & Arts
    Rather than a specific holiday/event, the ideas for February are centered more around traditions.

This could be a popular month to enjoy performance arts and artwork in general. Theater may be popular, especially romance plays. No person of substance would dare hold a feast, party, or other get together without hosting at least one bard to perform.

Confession Day – Basically valentines but following a more Japanese style tradition where the women gift to the one they ‘like’ but may also give “obligation” gifts to friends.

Response Day – Men give a return gift if they received one from the person they like. (Similar to Japan’s “White Day”).

(I particularly like how the Japanese have divided Valentine’s traditions into two days rather than one).

Weddings may be popular on these particular days. Especially for those who mutually gave and received with their romantic interests.

March – Justice
    The march holiday includes a celebration of local law enforcement (ie Town Guards, judges etc). Possibly including a public banquet or private dinner parties with a tradition menu (an idea for Rustic to play with?)

Some traditions may include a mock trial or the burning of a tyrant in effigy. A mock trial might include a local jester as the judge with a town official being charged with something ridiculous like snoring too loudly or putting too many lumps of sugar in his coffee. Citizens in the trial and encouraged to prosecute, defend and testify.

There could be more serious local traditions (such as in Resolute) like the public execution of a known criminal. The release of a prisoner at the people’s request or allowing a request for a retrial.

Another idea was for wandering magistrates who would travel between towns to reside over various disputes, officiate marriages and perform other duties of the courts where needed. These might be druids or mages mainly operating outside the usual system or possibly appointed by local lords with a measure of legal authority.

April – Sacrifice
    Traditional Foods: Breads & Red Wines

Festival of Sacrifice is characterized by giving things up, by doing without. It is a common practice to choose several items that you will voluntarily sacrifice for the duration of the month; and furthermore, any time you would normally indulge in those things, you instead give either that item (in the case of physical things like food) or perform some equivalent service to those in need. It is not uncommon for those who are successful but devout/superstitious go on a sort of pilgrimage to poor areas/communities, and live as simply as they are able, to understand and remember what it is like to do without.

Other possibilities

Tradition of donating to charity and/or volunteering one’s time for charitable events or causes.

A celebration to honor those who died having dedicated their lives to helping others. I'm thinking of mostly those of a humanitarian nature but may also include acts of valor.

The residents of a given city prepare their dinners and then bring them to their local guards/soldiers/knights. They sacrifice one night of dinner to remember those who sacrifice every day in service.

May – Valor (Around Memorial Day)
    Celebrating the courage to take risks as well as celebrating military veterans. Especially those who died or were wounded in good service.

Traditionally this would include a public feasts and tournaments. Especially in cities like Resolute. This could also be a good time to recognize local heroes and strength in arms. Some towns might hold a public award ceremonies.

Also a good time for people to give small gifts (ie food baskets, supplies etc) to local soldiers and thank them for their service.

July – Honor
    King’s Day (for lack of better name). July 4th

Lord British ruled for several centuries ushering in not only the virtues but many innovations as well as sponsoring cultural projects. He was by all accounts (save from those some Serpent Isle) a much loved ruler. It is only natural that some kind of birthday tradition emerge over the many long centuries of his reign. Even though many now may no longer remember why. King’s Day is in celebration of benevolent rule and rulers.

King’s Day traditions may include feasts and tournaments often sponsored by the local lord for the people (or visa versa?). The events of this particular day should reflect the relationship between a particular town or city state and their respective leaders.

As such, traditions may (and probably should) vary. Resolute would certainly have a tournament for example while Britanny may have a more low key tradition of staging a particular play every year.

Some traditions regarding Honor may include recommitment ceremonies, particularly a knight’s oath to their lord.

Married couples may have some kind of recommitment traditions such as a family dinner with a special speech or toast. Visiting the place of their marriage or annual honeymoon etc.

• Note the following idea was intended for King’s Day (or whatever the name ends up as) to be themed on Valor rather than Honor.

A time of frequent tournaments, but these are all about the victory and the pure martial ability. Gambling is also particularly prevalent, although frowned upon by the more devout. Chess and other non-physical games based on strategy and tactics are common. County fairs with competitions of every sort are frequent, and often the victors are sent to the capital to compete in countrywide competitions, or presented as gifts to the King (depending on what sort of victory is in question).

Note: Any feast or other gathering that involves the consumption of drink should include some manner of toast.. (a vague reference to chalices)

August – Honesty
    Respect for truth in all of life.. including an honest day's work for fair wages. It would be considered in especially poor taste to say anything that isn't entirely true to the best of your knowledge

Truth - Anonymous confession day. People drop anonymous confessions in a box, and then once a year they are posted publicly. The town can gather at the message board and read all the confessions.

Anti-Truth – Liar’s/Fool’s Day ie Food seller "all weapons 50% off"

Honesty is the virtue of mages and scholars. The pursuit of knowledge and the celebration of discovery may also be a good theme. There could be a tradition regarding a mythical “tomb of ultimate knowledge” (the actual name being lost to the centuries).

Academics might celebrate this time differently. Perhaps by reading or just buying a new book. Donating books to a library or publishing a thesis.

The main theme here is the sharing of knowledge. Public events would probably center around libraries and museums. Free history lessons or other lectures.

It would be a custom to often grant leniency (not full pardon, necessarily, but perhaps an easier sentence) to criminals who come forward voluntarily

October – Spirituality
    This month is big on spirits for reasons long since forgotten.

Ancestor Day – Lighting candles in honor of ancestors and visiting graves would be common here.

There might also be family gatherings and incorporating a celebration of living family as well. Possibly giving special relevance to family elders.

Some families might keep family shrines where candles are kept. Either in-house or in a public space (ie graveyard). This might be especially important in some cultural areas and also since graves of family members might be too far away to visit.

A public shrine could be used (possibly temporary) if you didn’t have your own.

Festival of Rangers is associated with the giving of wisdom, knowledge, and spiritual growth. A time of stories and fables with strong moral compasses. It is also a festival during which many people seek out time alone, particularly in the wilds, to commune with nature, with spirits, and with the gods. Some particular devout may even take a vow of silence for the entire month around the festival, to try to better hear what the world has to teach them.

The Spirit festival – Towns with or near rivers may have citizens placing floating lanterns in the river to guide spirits to the ‘next life’. A variation of this practice might occur in towns with a high wind using paper balloon type lanterns that float into the sky. (Perhaps with magical aide of a presiding air mage).

Other aspects of this festival would follow a ‘spirit’ theme but otherwise be light hearted fun. Magic shows, cotton candy etc. Typical “festival”.

Other practices may center around self-improvement and meditation. Especially among the more devout citizens.

Please no Halloween/trick or treat stuff. (Though LB might want a haunted house in Britanny).

November – Humility
    A reminder to be thankful and humble for the blessings we have.

A day of humility and celebration of simple things. NPCs might avoid wearing jewelry or makeup. Simple or common home cooked foods and a traditional dish of some kind.. using lamb perhaps? This might also be good as a harvest theme and a being humble before nature kind of theme.

Everyone wears simple, tattered clothing and the most humble of foods is served. Cabbage soup for all!

Further thought: A week of humility ending with a thanksgiving type feast. (People will be pretty hungry after eating cabbage soup for a week! ;) )

This holiday/celebration would probably be more popular in smaller towns. Perhaps less so in larger, well to-do cities who would just skip the week of humility and move straight on to the feast.

December – Compassion
    Fund raisers for charities may be common. Especially to give to the poor and sick. Certain NPCs might dress up to collect funds.

Certain merchants may have a sale on basic goods.. ie food and clothes.

It could be common to host a dinner for the poor or bring food and medicine to the sick
    This could also be a good time for forgiving offense or even debt.

Generic & Other Festivals/Holidays

Discharge Day - For large towns and cities protected by the "tesla-like" apparatus. Yearly maintenance on the appratus to replace parts. City defenses are down for the duration. All able bodied citizens muster to protect city. Once apparatus is operational again Celebrate!

Buttress Day: when everyone works to repair and fortify a town's defenses.

Seasonal: Winter, Spring, Summer & Fall (Harvest Festival?)
    Solstice & Equinox

Brewer’s Day – Oktoberfest (some folks really want an Oktoberfest which would be awesome. I’m not sure where or ‘when’ I’d put it). Perhaps part of King’s Day or along side Honor or a harvest festival.

Larder Day - Those that have large stores could possibly invite the local populace into their keep, castle, manor...whatever; and throw a huge feast. The population could take account of their stores and redistribute extras to those who don't have. This would primarily be a pre-winter activity.

“Ring Rain” or meteor shower. This would occur on a predictable schedule as a result of the moon’s colliding and subsequent asteroid ring around the planet. Another side effect could be “Another body in close orbit could approach, at its perihelion it could charge ice particles from the destroyed moon and send them into the atmosphere of New Britannia. Give it a really nice light show like northern lights by about ten times, allow it to light up the Underworld naturally, that sort of thing.”

During these times people could gather in a good viewing location. Something akin to view cherry blossoms in Japan. Bring a blanket, some food and good booze. Sit back and enjoy the view.

Additional Themes - Some specific themes we didn’t explore but may be appropriate.
    Trade, commerce and crafting.

Further thoughts
    Theaters – Plays in theaters may tend to follow themes of whatever holiday is being presented. Also certain towns may favor certain plays.. ie plays about honor and valor would be popular in Resolute.

As local traditions vary it may probably be best to simply build a framework and give players tools to flesh out the details of each holiday or festival themselves. Say this is the holiday and general theme., here are your tools. Then promote role-play events that celebrate those themes during the month.

I might further suggest that groups like the Poet’s Circle and College of Arms might be ideal instigators. Poet’s Circle for their bards and the CoA for tournaments other events that might require a herald.

There was a point about holidays occurring around the time of Earth holidays to take advantage of players having more time off but taking care to not overlap exactly as people will likely be busy with family.

Also there are some in the community would prefer to simply not have Earth holidays celebrated in New Britannia. It just doesn’t make sense as these cultural rituals develop independently. Running around in a Halloween get-up trick or treating for example is basically the same as declaring “Hi! I’m an Avatar!”.

It may be customary to tale stories related to a given virtue at many festivals. (Might suggest a short story contest for each virtue).

Traditions regarding Avatars
    Antagonistic communities might burn Avatar effigies as part of some of their festivities.

Traditions regarding Spirits
    Hanging of lanterns or dolls to ward off spirits.
    Lanterns or candles to guide spirits along a path (such as floating lanterns on a river to lead them to the ‘next world’).

Requested Tools
    The ability to “rent” and decorate a public space for X number of days. Or possibly gaining a permit from local authorities. Either specific lots in-town or one of a few “festival” hexes just outside of town.

Owners of player towns could designate specific lots as a public space.

The of course we need to be able to craft decorations and a few special items like vendor stalls (food stalls, blacksmiths etc).

Yes basically anything you’d need for a good renaissance fair (complete with List Fields ;)) .. and also special items like the afore mentioned floating paper lanterns.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.