Hollow Log (Village home), expectations and reality

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by ConjurerDragon, Feb 19, 2023.

1. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

02/19/2023 15:19
    Title:
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker? no
    Details: I managed to get the plans for the witches hut from her, built it and after carrying it around for a few weeks I finally placed it on a lot. Nice - but I´m a bit underwhelmed and a bit confused...

That is the original from which the plans came:
    [​IMG]

Area: Novia_R7_Swamp01_01
    Area Display Name: South Longfall Wetland
    Loc: (163.0, 27.1, -168.7)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjdfU3dhbXAwMV8wMXx8KDE2Mi45OTcsIDI3LjA1NCwgLTE2OC43MzYpfCgwLCAtMC41NSwgMCwgMC44MzUpfDY1My40OTE1fDU5LjYxMjM3fDYuNTE3MDY5

Now if I compare that to my built then:
    1) I have no chimney in my house. o.k. after taking a closer look the original has no chimney either as that round exhaust sits on top of the tree bark and has no way to actually let fumes out of the house - but it still looks nice and makes sense. The fireplace I use has no chimney and I worry for my avatars lungs if that continues... It looks like the fireplace of the witch without the upper 2/3rds with the goat mask and the pipe leading up.
    Is there a deco to use as a chimney that actually would punch through the bark to allow a fireplace below to exhaust fumes?

2) The witches log is partly sunk into the earth in the back. That makes it smaller in height and prevents what I would call the sight of a loghome on stelts. My build looks like a Galleon in Drydock on those wooden frame.
    There is almost enough space under the log home to go there and use it as a cellar, but as the avatar can´t bend a bit it can´t be even used as a crawlspace and on flat terrain it´s a huge open room under the log which I optically dislike.
    I could see two solutions, where both are viable: Either allow the log to be placed partly in the earth similar to the witches house, so that the large inaccessible room under the house is not visible from the back or
    remove a wooden board and rise the crawlspace just a bit so that the avatar can go below with head between shoulders and use it as a storage room/crawlspace.

Just not a large, visible, empty room that can not be used, please.

3) The stairs. The witch has one set of stairs - the built one has two sets of stairs because people in village log homes deep in the forest need that much stairway to allow for the sheer number of guests and visitors who come knocking on the door simultaneously...

3) The stairs. Yes, again. In the rebuild version the stairs go from the porch to the outside in opposing directions and make the house appear like a lobster with claws or at least strangely wide in front for just a log home. The witch has it practical and uses one set of stairs in front of the porch. Less wide and a bit longer and looks better, more centered.
    Ideal would be if log house and stairs were two seperate buildings and the player could place the set of stairs right, left or center depending on personal preferences.

4) The chest shed: The witch has in the back of her log a small shed. Seperated by a wooden wall from her main room and to the outside the right and left third are wooden walls that somewhat prevent the light from within to shine into the distance. And it´s a nice, more or less dry storage space.
    Ideal would be to have that storage space and a small door that leads to it, that could double as the back door.

5) Deco problems:
    In the built log house I can place e.g. the Hand of Naturamans inside on the floor - but only as far as the door. I can´t put it on the porch despite looking similar to the floor inside.

I´d like to use the green ivy ( e.g. large climbing ivy) to have the house disappear in the green of the forest. However the round walls of the log are no possible placements as they are not straigt as a board. And even the "wall-hung" ivy refuses to stick to the house on either side.
    The only place where just one of the ivy pieces sticks is next to the front door on the flat wooden wall.

I tried to use an invisible walkway to prolong the porch to the border of the lot (like a jumping board in the swimming hall, extending from the porch) but it can´t be placed on the porch or on the floor or on the roof. The invisible walkway won´t let itself lay on top of invisible walls at the border of the lot, either.

As soon as I put two barrels a few metres apart - THERE it can be put on.

Any ideas to get the ivy usable or the plank?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
    CrandalltheFoole likes this.
  2. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

The original version owned by the witch was hand-crafted and decorated by a worldbuilder. Although it didn't necessarily follow the guidelines which we use for player housing, it's design inspired a lot of people to request it as a player house and so we made a new player version. The artist who made the player version used different guidelines and aesthetics than the worldbuilder. I have no suggestions for placing the ivy or plank, but maybe some other players have suggestions for you. Although it's unlikely the player house will receive any significant revisions, I'll add it to our to-do list and we'll look into things like the deco placement issues. Issue #71140

Anpu and ConjurerDragon like this.
  3. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Another deco problem: In the original the witch had skull chimes hanging from the partial ceilingover the porch. In game I find no place on the ceiling over the porch to get the skulls "green" to hang them up.