Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Horrible Black Screen issues since the most recent Unity "upgrade"

Discussion in 'Release 69 Feedback Forum' started by Raven Swiftbow, Sep 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

I have had issues with my two monitors going black for some time now. I've totally checked my system and the problem is not with my rig. What I can definitively say is this:

- It's gotten bad enough that I can almost time it. Everything runs just fine - until I start SotA. (even if SotA is the only thing I run!) Then, within the first 5 minutes of "play" my screens go black. The computer is still running. The only way out of the situation is to hard power down my machine. After I've rebooted, I (usually) do not get black screens again until the next day.

- However on a number of occasions something will show up in the middle of the black screen - can you guess what it is? It's a Unity box showing me that it's sending an error report.

- I have never had black screens at any other time. This only happens when I start playing SotA.

- When this first started occurring (oh, perhaps 6 months ago - it has gotten steadily worse with each Unity "update") I was able to "fix" the issue (kinda - at least make it happen less frequently) by rolling back the driver on my Nvidia GTX960 graphics card. But I'm more hesitant to do that now that there have also been Windows 10 updates, etc. (And I'm not certain it would help anymore.)

I know that you guys are aware of these issues and have been fighting with Unity over it. But it makes me very sad. I'm not posting this as a bug because I know you are aware of it - and I know you try to track these Unity crashes, although I'm not certain the Unity error thing goes out every time it happens (because I've gotten pretty darned quick at hitting my power button and then counting to 5 before I power up again). Due to my rl work schedule, my playtime is already pretty limited!

For whatever it's worth, I just clicked on the bug report button so you could see the info on my computer below.

Thanks. I sure wish there was some way to make Unity listen. Since this is such a known issue, I felt that it might be more appropriate for me to put this in as feedback, because as the game becomes less playable for me, it's definitely a feedback type of thing for me. :(

09/23/2019 19:00
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8) System RAM: 16300
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 GPU RAM: 2007
    SotA.Win.64.1041.Date.09.13.19
    Area: POT_forest_metropolis_01a_template/Falling Waters Fortress
    Area Display Name: Falling Waters Fortress
    Loc: (-27.2, 38.0, 108.3)
    Debug: UE9UX2ZvcmVzdF9tZXRyb3BvbGlzXzAxYV90ZW1wbGF0ZXxGYWxsaW5nIFdhdGVycyBGb3J0cmVzc3woLTI3LjIwMSwgMzcuOTk3LCAxMDguMzQ2KXwoMCwgLTAuODEyLCAwLCAwLjU4NCl8MjUxLjQ0ODN8MTB8NS4wOQ==

2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Question:
    Does this happen ( since you said it generally happens within 5 mins of logging in ) - if you log in somewhere other than FWF ?

3. Raven Swiftbow

Well, Frost is trying to help me with this now - by playing with my video setting inside the game. I never had those settings on the highest settings, always in the middle somewhere. But I started typing this a few minutes ago (as a test I started the game just before starting to type on the forums) - and 2 minutes into my typing, the game crashed and I had the black screens again. Sooo, we'll keep trying to trouble shoot it from this side as that's about all I can do. *sigh*

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Have you tried uninstalling, and deleting old files & directories. And then doing a fresh install?

Some people have limited isp access, so I can understand if that’s not an option for you.

5. Raven Swiftbow

@Jaesun I've always used an uninstaller as far as the Nvidia drivers go (one that Nvidia recommended in fact). But I think you might be talking about the game itself? That I had not thought of doing and it wouldn't hurt do to it. So I will try that and, if nothing else, if it doesn't work I'll be able to scratch that option off the list. fingers crossed.....

Jaesun likes this.
  6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I’m suspect a corrupt game file possibly in your computer. Be sure to delete the old SotA folder to make sure there’s no left over files, when you do the uninstall. Just back that up first if you need anything in there though. Hope that will hopefully help you!

Raven Swiftbow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.