Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Horrible Experience Under Linux

Discussion in 'Release 57 Feedback' started by kira78, Sep 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kira78

kira78 Avatar

Hi,

I am a Kickstarter backer of SotA and played a fair bit early on in the development (I think around R17?) but haven't played in a number of years. Recently I updated/installed it on my Linux system which is much beefier than it had been when I last played, and the game experience has regressed significantly since then. The game takes forever to load and taxes my system much more than it used to, and more importantly the in-game map and mini-map no longer function and apparently aren't supported under Linux even though the feature used to work. As the game stands now--almost 6 months after the official "release" and leaving early access--it has a lot of potential but at the same time has regressed enough from the early builds in terms of being a playable game that part of me regrets investing so much money in the game. The sad part is that I started playing again so that my fiancee and I could play together, and the experience isn't much better for her under Windows (e.g. the map is currently broken) to where the game isn't playable for either of us.

I haven't been following the development of SotA the past few years; is it known why the Linux support has regressed so much and what plans there are for addressing the issue?

Thanks!

Barugon likes this.
  2. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I've been playing since just after persistance, and don't recall there ever being a functional mapping system for Linux. You could press the M key and pull up the box for the map, but it was never functional. What release did you see the mapping system in Linux working? I definitely agree with leaving early access before some basic systems were more stable, and perfomance was fixed.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    Barugon likes this.
  3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

there were map scrolls made for scenes that could be pulled up from inventory or placed on the hotbar. they're still there, at booksellers or the atlas pledge reward. they still work. they just don't have any maps other than the vale, the perennial coast, and the pot templates.

4. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Yeah, I have tons of those maps, but I think the OP is talking about the in-game map(see below) that is available for Win, and not implemented in Linux.

5. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

in game map???? wow I have not presses the M key now for months, totally forgot/ignored that nightmare. Since I sometimes play on Windows, I do not even use the buggy map on Windows lol.
    Anyhow, yes SotA on GNU/Linux is a nightmare currently and it just seems to get worse with every release.
    I was hoping that since my upgrade from a mid gpu card to a more high end gpu card with closed source nvidia blob drivers that the gaming experience would have been better, but to be honest my old mid end AMD card with its opensource amdgpu + mesa drivers was performing so much better...

boohoohoo

Sorthious likes this.
  6. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Yeah, I wouldn't use maps anyway, but I know there are some players who want them. It believe I read something about Devs having abandoned trying to get the mapping system to work on Linux. Sorry if this is incorrect.

7. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

My understanding is that they've abandoned trying to get that map system working in Linux. It's a big hack anyhow, because it's a full web browser plug-in displaying the sotamap web maps. And it's a full web browser plug-in that doesn't work in Linux Unity, period. And it wouldn't have worked with the offline game with no internet anyhow. So I presume they're working toward a proper plug-in instead of wasting time putting a band-aid on the old one.

Jaesun and Alley Oop like this.
  8. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Hehe...that's exactly what I said....
    As I said, though, I wouldn't use the mapping system even if it was available. It would be nice, for those who want it, however, to have access to one.

9. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

No linux minimap. Never has been in game. Otherwise I'd know. I'm always checking :)

Ubuntu is my main OS so yeah. Windows on occasion when I'm forced to use it.

Feeyo and Sorthious like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.