House Decoration: Rules?

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Bulveigh, Aug 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

Hey ho,

after the last few alpha phases i am a little bit concerned about the house decoration! I love it that it is so free, but i see a problem because of extremely different meanings about "whats cool" :)
    For example, laberynths or "shrines" made of cabinets.. Hey.. yea.. its cool and funny.. But it completely destroys the look of a village when there is a giant tower of cabinets glowing in 20 different colors in the middle...

IMO its the same problem, uo had with the customizable housing.. Some players build incredibble beautiful medival buildings, and some just bild "piles of crap" which leads to a uncontrolled growth of houses with completely different styles.. Before the customizable houses everything "fits" in the world.

Did they ever mention some sort of monitoring or rules for housing?

The risk of placing my medival clothing store right next to a wizard tower with 12 fountains on every floor freaks me out... :D

[​IMG]

Greets
    Bulveigh

2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Yes, I thought it was very annoying and I can totally see how this can destroy immersion and atmosphere.
    But placing rules would annoy those who buy a house and want to decorate it as they see fit.
    So we have a dilemma: You either annoy those who own houses or those who want to enjoy the story and the atmosphere/immersion of the world...

3. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

i dont want to annoy those who own houses, i want to annoy those who own houses and build completely unfitting constuctions into their garden :D

I think its possible to decorate a house without destroying the atmosphere....

Edit:
    Further than that, i dont think we need "harsh restrictions" like a GM running arround with a book about "historical accurate decoration".. I just think there sould be SOME limitations...

4. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Buy your own town, set your own rules as landlord. I'd be against anyone telling me how I can use my space.

5. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

I think as a sandbox environment, we need the option to do these types of things so that way everyone can have something to mess around with at the end of a hard day's adventure. I think in terms of restrictions, the only thing that I can think of being actually restrictive is the imagination of the decorating individual. I would love to play this game and have the option to build any kind of structure I want, out of the tools and items provided to me through normal gaming means.

6. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

Yea. i understand that.

i hope they include a regulation more like a "anti troll" system :) to prevent extreme crappy looking stuff. Like the custom houses from uo without any kind of walls or whatever. Just a black square full of containers.

i hate that **** ;)

7. dp_dropout

dp_dropout Avatar

Just give me the option to block those people and at the same time their constructions.
    I'd much rather live in a world with empty lots than having to wade through villages with one ridiculous construction after another. Aside from the visual pollution they are bound to generate lag.

8. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

Uh! And option to "hide" the deco of some houses would be nice!
    So when i hate my neighbours Godzilla made of fountains, i just turn his deco of and i can make screenshots of RP events in my garden without mothra coming for my little home!

Orion Astrium likes this.
  9. smack

smack Avatar

10. Margard

Margard Avatar

The only rules that should be implemented are rules to stop players from doing things (in terms of aesthetics) that in some way adversely affect the performance of the game.

Other than that - try and live next to the person that makes their house an attraction and happily place your shop next to their house

DavenRock [MGT] and smack like this.
  11. Silverglade

Silverglade Avatar

This or goto a town that supports your desire.

Apollyon9515 likes this.
  12. Margard

Margard Avatar

I'm also looking around now and the diversity of housing seems to make the towns seem unique - and more - "lived in" ... as for decorations only time will tell

13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Imagine Yew in Ultima, a city in the trees but there is a lighthouse standing in the middle of the forest, there a castle, there a vikings cottage, two row houses, intermixed with a a few towers, some blue and some red roofs...

Yew would not be a city in the trees anymore, the style would have been totally destroyed. Such a mixture of house styles is ok for a few cities, especially player cities but I think that some cities should retain a certain style to represent a certain aspect of the game or the virtues.

Ravenclaw [BEAR] likes this.
  14. Margard

Margard Avatar

I get it / but maybe that has a little more to do with lot placement / for example if they surround lots with trees / high trees / so housing is somewhat hidden

Also - if the dev's what to maintain the ""consistency" of the town / they can make the tough decision and not allow housing in the location or place restrictions on allowable housing - this makes sense within the story but not so much on the "mmo" side of things

Owl's head does not look bad at the moment - and it does have wizards towers ... but point taken and there does need to be a little consideration ... but then again maybe not

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.