House Teleportation Tile Suggestion

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by sockeyesalmon, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sockeyesalmon

sockeyesalmon Avatar

One of my favorite late features of UO was the introduction of the House Teleportation Tile.

The tile was designed so the user could place a tile in his home and place a 2nd tile in another home, a friends home, guildhall, etc., and be able to step on the tile and have free travel between the two buildings. The tile could only be placed within a house and wouldn't work if placed on the ground outside a player owned lot.

The best use for me was to have all guildmates put a tile in their house and have a room of tiles in the guildhall, so you could easily travel between guildmate's houses.

In UO, this was a reward for having a 10+ year old account, but it could be a great add-on store item or something that could be acquired through gameplay. :)

2. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I can see some people liking this feature. I for one am not for it. For me, it just does not fit into my scheme of how I would vision the world. People (even with permissions) randomly popping up at guildhalls and houses to me is something I cannot justify or figure how it could be explained through the lore. Its not a bad Idea per say, but its not for me.

Time Lord and fantalio like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I love the idea and expect something like this in SOTA.

However, I'd like to see some form of upkeep costs and perhaps even a small chance of failure. :)

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

What if these tiles were precursors to an existing teleportation spell?

For example, say they create a spell that requires 2 casters to summon a party, or to create a rift between two points. However instead of having a second caster, your guild or some of your friends might grant you access to their house for the purpose of meeting up quickly. So they give you a glyph that you could use in casting the teleport spell opening a rift between your location and the location of the enchanted tile/glyph on the floor of that guild hall or freind's manor. That way you won't have to wait until a second caster shows up to complete the spell.

Also so that this isn't an over used teleport device, only the owner of the glyph-tile should be able to buy the portable glyph and tune it to the tile in their own house or city. This will make this costly, and people won't just be handing out glyphs to their house to everybody in town.

This could be used as a system to teleport to your own house(s) too (if you're a high enough level caster to use the spell). Also let these smaller glyphs lootable in PvP too. Maybe they could have a chain to hold a very limited number of glyphs together for keeping things neat in your pack.

I know they want to steer clear of rune books and runes in general, but this isn't like casting mark in a specific location. These glyphs-tiles would have to be purchased by a house owner or an owner of a town, and something like this could be quite expensive. It's like having a piece of a precursor to a moongate in your house, or maybe even in the center of a player owned town. So it's basically a fixed location, and the spell could still require a higher level caster or an expensive charged device, so this doesn't have to be a common fast travel technique that people abuse. You would need a high level caster in your party or buy a well crafted charged device, and since that is the case then every tom, ****, and harry won't be buying this for their houses. But big guilds would definitely have something like this since they are bound to need some fast travel to the guild house.

Could there be other magic that could use a glyph-tile to be placed in a house???

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Or maybe you could buy two of these glyph-tiles and it could bridge two locations like the OP said, but it requires a spell caster, or a well crafted charged device with that spell to activate it.

This would eliminate free instant travel from those tiles. The teleportation would work, but it would cost you something to open the rift, or the ability to teleport one person.

EDIT: I kind of like this option better than having portable glyphs.

6. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

This is a fun idea that would be great to see implemented.

If ancients developed moon gates for long distance transportation, it does not seem far fetched that other forms of teleportation could exist.

Lord Baldrith and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  7. Angor

Angor Avatar

This could be a fun Idea. I remember those tiles.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  8. sockeyesalmon

sockeyesalmon Avatar

I like the idea of their being a cost for use.

In UO, there are two types: One that's a veteran reward without upkeep, and one that you can purchase from the store for $10 that requires adding Gate Travel scrolls for use. Maybe in SOTA, there could be a similar type of upkeep where a player has to cast a spell on the tile that requires specific reagents to add charges.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Great idea. I wish I thought of that. The tile itself could have the charges.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

10. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

No, thank you.

Yes, please.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  11. stile

stile Avatar

Im not a fan of the teleporters, did not like them in UO.

However - Ill grit my teeth, accept them, and agree they are needed in the game. If youve been in the large houses and basements - its clear these are needed.

Been in the Arena Basement in owls head? If your a LotM and paid for that thing, you shouldn't be punished to have to get around in it :)

Not just that, but really anything that is City sized larg and up. A LOT of time could be spent running around the place. There is going to need to be a way to move around both the house and basement more quickly.

It doesn't have to be teleportals - but Im not sure what else you would use. Shouldn't cost you to do it given your just trying to move around in your own home.

Again - im not a fan, but sometimes need is more important then the distaste of something and I think this will be one of those situations.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.