Housing. A great strength, pricing causing more problems than benefits?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steevodeevo, Aug 1, 2019.

?

Are Property Deed prices in line with Player expectations

1. Yes, completely

2. A little pricey, but OK

3. I understand the prices but can't afford it (I may review or save in game)

4. They are far to expensive which is sad as I'd love to buy a bigger land deed.

5. Extortionate, unacceptable. They are killing the game with these prices. Player recruitment and rete

6. things have gotten dirt cheap lately

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

anyone can use gold from in game to buy cotos for any of those things, in addition to them dropping...

Additionally, as has been noted in the past, someone bough a PoT with in-game gold. There's nothing P2W...

Jaesun, Dhanas and Synergy Blaize like this.
  2. Geaux

Geaux Avatar

I agree with you, you guys may be missing the point here...

Some people have more time than money, others have more money than time, and I guess some have both.

If the folks want to spend more time playing and gaining experience, would it be fair to say that because this wealthy guy can only play 2 hours a day, nobody else can play more than 2 hours a day so he does not have to feel bad about his lack of time causing him to fall way behind?

And if a wealthy guy wants to pay Port to catch up and keep up in a game he loves to play because of his schedule and lack of time, would it be fair to players that have time to play and want to exchange their time for experience to only be able to get it by paying for it? Of course not... If a player cannot afford (or does not want to for any reason whatsoever) to pay for experience to catch up and keep up, they should be allowed to spend their time in game gaining it on their own...

This game is a better place if more players can "AFFORD" creativity by having Deeds and Dungeons (D&D) to fill up the landscape and creatively challenge players with new and innovative dungeons.

I would prefer that wealthy folks have an easy peasy way to catch up and keep up that Port profits from, like Exp sales, and for dedicated players that need to earn a bit of coin from selling off some exp so they can afford digital merchandise, be allowed and encouraged to do so...sure you can have a vendor and sell stuff, or hawk and haggle in the trade channel, but if you have ever tried to do this, it's a not something that all that many players wish to do or are comfortable with...make it easy...let Port fund from Exp transfer sales, bring on more creative game content from players by lowering the cost of entry...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  3. Geaux

Geaux Avatar

Anyone can buy IGG :) Is that P2W?

4. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

From other players, not from Port, this is the main difference

5. Geaux

Geaux Avatar

You can buy COTOs from Port and sell them for IGG, right?

6. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

Pay to Win is an obvious concept, how is it something that still needs to be discussed?

7. Geaux

Geaux Avatar

My concept of P2W is someone being able to pay money for something that can only be received by paying for it. I am not certain how anyone can call paying for EXP P2W, if other players, all other players in fact, can simply spend time to get exactly the same thing...if they choose to do so.

Mishikal likes this.
  8. Geaux

Geaux Avatar

I want Port to be successful, I want the game to go down in history as epic, creative, innovative, with incredible longevity... My thoughts are only around making the mechanics of current transactional events in game, something that Port has a revenue stream from...and to bring down the out of pocket cost of player added content in game...

9. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

10. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I said nothing about "buying" IGG. *Anyone* can make IGG and use it to buy other things, such as property deeds, houses, COTOs, POTs, whatever.

11. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

Seems thats basically everybodys definition of pay to win but yours.

12. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Fall behind what, exactly? Catch up to what exactly? I've never understood this concept in relation to SOTA. I've been playing steadily since persistence, I probably have more time to play the game than most people since I work from home, and I don't measure my avatar against others people's as there is no need. Does someone like Mac have adventuring skills to 160? sure. So what? Does someone like Elrond have numerous skills in crafting to levels I can't even imagine? Sure. Again, so what? Their skill levels don't disadvantage me, nor do I feel compelled to try and endlessly grind XP to match their levels, as there is simply no need to do anything like that in SOTA. I'll never get this mindset that people are "behind" in this specific game and have some random threshold they need to "catch up" to. It took me something like 1.5 to 2 years to get my first GM. So what?

Elwyn, Cordelayne and Astirian like this.
  13. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

How does someone "pay" for XP in this game? I guess hire someone to run UT for them while they stand nearby? If you think obsidian potions of guidance are something you pay for to earn XP, you're sorely mistaken, they do not earn you XP at all. And again, anyone can trivially obtain them if they want by simply collecting COTOs from the mobs they kill or the ore they mine or spending IGG they earn on COTOs to get them from the store. All they do is accelerate the rate at which you can spend XP into a skill, they do *nothing* as far as earning the XP, which anyone and everyone must do. And there are other ways to accelerate the rate at which you *spend* XP that don't involve COTOs, such as partying with someone who has GM in the specific skill or getting the buff from the lost vale, etc.

14. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

Your aim is off @Mishikal I was quoting he who suggests you should be able to purchase xp from port to 'catch up' and that is not pay to win.

Mishikal likes this.
  15. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Ah, ok. Yes, that would most certainly be P2W, and also makes no sense in the context of this game. Go find a group in UT or Tartarus or whatever and take your XP to the bank... No need to pay Port for it, they provide it in quantity for free already. :p

16. Geaux

Geaux Avatar

It seems that only I am aware that players sell accounts? In what way is this not P2W, and for that matter, in what way is it any different than buying Exp?

The only difference is that Port is not making any revenue from it today, and is offsetting this significant loss of opportunity by selling Deeds, Homes, & Dungeons at such high prices that most new players cannot afford it. Why do you care? It is all Time, People, and Money, someone is P2W with one of those resources regardless... You choose to spend time, someone else money, you paid either way...

17. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Buying exp points (accelerating their gain) indirectly applies to level which 'may' enhance success. But it doesn't necessarily work out that way and it still requires a skilled, committed and focused player to translate accelerated exp point gain into increased gaming success. So I kinda get what Geaux is saying, but you are fighting a losing battle mate :)

If I were to buy experience (which I could then use to accelerate levelling) I would still not '#win!' I'm too cack-handed and I don't really devise strategies to maximise success.

I am a fairly committed but casual adventurer / crafter type and whatever I decide to do when I log in for a session rarely actually happens. I tend to drift off into loads of unplanned stuff and lose focus, but I still have loads of fun.

#win - ? beat other players at pvp, undertake and be more successful at more challenging quests, combats and boss challenges.

Cordelayne likes this.
  18. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Definitions of "P2W" and where the line is drawn aside, that's a pretty big can of worms to open.
    While yes, some people would jump at the chance to buy a pre-levelled character, or experience gain potions, or a set of gear - for how many others does this trivialize the entire point of the game?
    Why spend years to do what you can buy? Or why spend years to get what someone else can just buy?

Barugon and Mishikal like this.
  19. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Ambition.

Cordelayne and Astirian like this.
  20. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Well, yes...but you're limiting your target playerbase to a subset of ambitious folks.
    I'd consider myself ambitious, but working for something "the hard way" and looking to my left seeing someone just swipe their card and have it, cheapens the experience for me a bit. I'm sure others feel similarly. The question is how many people fall into each category, how many will you please vs. alienate?

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.