Housing is going fast

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Poor game design, Jul 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Only 7 Taxable Town Lot Deeds Remain in the add-on store.
    Only 22 Taxable Row Lot Deeds Remain in the add-on store.

2. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

wow, I could have sworn this morning or late last night rows were at 68 ish and 17 town.

3. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

The best part will be on Monday when all the melt-buy-melt-buy-think-buy-melt-think-melt-buy-buy-think-melt-buy-curse-melt-buy starts :p

4. Drocis the Devious

That's just what Portalarium manually lists.

If you click on the little arrows you can see how many are actually remaining.
    [​IMG]

5. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

There seems to be an unlimited supply of row/village deeds with the viking bundles now, unless there is some limit which they haven't posted. Just more pricey. The way things have gone, there may be other options in the future too... there is still no formal definition of "limited" housing.

6. Drocis the Devious

I understand what you're saying and what your concern is. But I believe there's a very good definition of what limited housing means actually.

The row and village deeds in the bundles are for POTs. There are limited POTs, therefore there are limited deeds. There are limited pledge and add-on store deeds that can be used in either POTs or non-POTs, therefore deeds are limited.

The developers have said that they will monitor housing and provide about 30% more deeds (relative to the amount sold) for players to buy with in-game gold (through the lottery system) and that they would stagger that amount in increments based on demand. The reason it's not a set number is because we have no idea what the demand will be (at launch). To use an extreme example, if 200 million people show up at launch and we've set a flat number of limited houses that we can't adjust, that doesn't make any sense. We would be 1. killing the profits this game can produce, and 2. setting ourselves up for a missed opportunity to retain many of those people that would enjoy having a house but could never get one.

I'm a huge fan of the limited housing concept, it's one of the main reasons I backed this game. And as long as only 15 to 25% of the total population is limited to housing, I think we're going to be in good shape. Right now it doesn't seem like that because our population is so low that we probably have more like 85% of the players with access to housing. But that should change "some" after the land rush, and quite a bit after the launch. A lot of what "limited" housing means is going to be based on what our total population is.

The definition of "limited housing" as it relates to SOTA is that there's a finite number of available lots in the game. Which there are.

7. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

I understand your points, but what I meant was that the decisions they have made over time, which have been many and constant, have continual expanded the finite number. Row lots. Secondary lots. PoTs. Add-on Store deeds. POT add-on store deeds. Bundle deeds. More bundle deeds. (EDITED)

The trajectory is pretty clear. If a finite number keeps moving, then there really is no finite number.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  8. Valdor

Valdor Avatar

You've started the land rush early. Now down to 18 row lots.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I have a question not sure if this is the right thread...

Some pledges once included multiple land deeds. If we upgrade our pledge now does the server still recognize the fact we have the second rent free lot that was expired from our earlier pledge?

Anybody have a link to a thread that talks about expired rewards and upgrading? I would hate to upgrade and lose my tax free row lot.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Thanks, didn't know that little trick!

Rows now down to 15 :rolleyes:

11. Drocis the Devious

I can never explain these questions well.

@Lord Andernut if you would be so kind?

12. Drocis the Devious

Yes, if the number keeps moving. However the devs never gave us a number, they never said the number is 9.5k and then we will never have an additional deed created even if we have 500 million people playing the game.

They are expiring new POTs on July 27th. So if the number of deeds is not finite based on the number of lots, we'll end up with more deeds than can be claimed in-game. The devs have said that they will not let that happen. Therefore, there are a finite number of deeds. That's just a fact. It may not be as comforting as "this is the exact number", but it's still extremely limited and yes finite.

We're always so focused on how many deeds they're selling, but what we should really be curious about is how many lots are available in game. I don't think that's a super high number, and I think it's difficult to guess how many lots each POT holder will actually make available to players.

I'll have 524 available lots, someone else might have zero. But the number of POT only deeds can't go higher than what's being made available, so the number that will be sold should be relatively conservative.

Pledge deeds will also stop being sold at the end of August and the add-on store taxable deeds are nearly sold out (see OP). That leaves only the in-game lottery system which the devs control based on demand, but that too is finite (30%).

It's a complex problem with a nuance solution. But doesn't seem wrong to me, it just seems like there are a lot of moving parts.

13. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I always thought the land promised was a by the numbers lot for every deed sold through a pledge and the add-on store +30%; a number that doesn't include any available land in POTs.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Drocis the Devious

Yes, did I say something different?

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

No, you didn't... I was associating POT deeds with your references to deeds in general. My mistake - rereading your post I see where I got mixed up.

To that, I like to think the devs put some wriggle room in their towns... all the NPC/PRT towns with a couple dozen village lots should be expandable on demand. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if all the PRT towns could be opened to Metropolis size on a whim. Some of the more complex scenes may be locked in... but could always expand with reasons from lore.

16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

The Live Action Feed Going on at Our Add-On Store...
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

17. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I got this question by PM earlier (and answered it - so funny to see it again by the same poster :p), but yes a two deed pledge remains a two deed pledge.

Your Lord, if it currently has town + row, when upgraded to Lord Marshal becomes a town + village. And if upgraded to Duke, becomes a Keep + Village, etc.

18. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

what "Castle Bundles" are you talking about?

19. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

The blood requiems have POT only castle deeds.

20. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

My bad Dev + edited my post.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.