How about a barber profession?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Amaranthus, Feb 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Oh, so you plan on changing your hair every day?

This thread was begun as a discussion into having "a Player" that wondered if a Player Profession could be visualized within the game which runs contrary to what is being discussed here as the role of an NPC.
    It would do well that if you have such to wonder into, that possibly there is another thread that has previously discussed "Hair Styles By NPCs"
    The first poster of this thread set the boundaries of it's scope, which points to any discussion in the enhancement NPCs to provide this function as being that an Oxymoron.
    I respect that your opinion is that Barbers should be NPCs and what they can provide, but it just doesn't fit here.

I respect the original posters thoughts and the heading of his thread... please in kind do the same:rolleyes:
    ~Time Lord~

2. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I agree to a point, but if there are no NPC Blacksmiths or Fletchers or Provisioners then how are you going to even have an economy. Basic items have to be supplied and available to all players at all times and the only way to do that reliably is via a system of NPC vendors. If you need torches or a lantern in order to do a dungeon, you have to track down a player vendor? If you just got killed and looted and you need a sword to get back to your corpse and get your stuff back, you have to search for a player vendor? What if our armor is about to fall apart and you need it repaired; you have to track down a player blacksmith to do it? Too much work and detrimental to play time.

To quote Henry Rollins and Bill Shatner: 'I can't get behind that!' Basic services and stuff needs to be readily available to all, regardless of Online/Offline/Single Player or whatever.

Special, magical, high end services and stuff should definitely be done by players.

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  3. Curt

Curt Avatar

If you need a torch or a lantern should be two options. npc vendor (lower quality) or to search and find a pc vendor(better quality)

The problem i see with a barber is what you produce would not make as much sense to place on a vendor.
    should you simply be able to buy a consumable item that gave you a hairstyle from a vendor, or would you need to be next to the player when he did your hairstyling?

Time Lord and Ned888 like this.
  4. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

You are right about provisions. I don't know if we will be able to create those things...

Well, I guess it depends on how vibrant the player base will be. Perhaps we will have a world where player blacksmiths are all over the place. There could also be repair stones etc that players make and basic ones you could buy off of that NPC provisioner as well.

I think a good goal to strive for in this game would to keep what the NPCs sell simple, keep player made stuff more important. It's not possible to have players make everything...

Good thoughts in this thread!

Time Lord and Ned888 like this.
  5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I would say that you'd need to see the person, yet a deed may work, but arguably less interactively. If the cut, tattoo, or whatever the Barber would create could all be deeded and thus have it more accessible to everyone.

Oh, and Ned888, I always seem to like one of the sentences you post on the subject, but to take the original poster's idea in the thread and toss it to the side seems a bit of hijacking. "I do like your posts, but only half of text they contain;)
    Always a Good Rhetorical Buddy,
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"The need for deeper crafting skills to play with" :(
    If we focus all attention away from the crafting player by focusing needed skills onto the NPC, then we loose a part of our ambient world, where the common crafting player can no longer have his skill (or the way he plays his game) needed.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

7. Johnny Black

Johnny Black Avatar

It would be fun to have as many "career" options in the game as possible, lest we end up with everyone being a blacksmith. I know I'm being quite hyperbolic in saying we'll all be one profession, but it would be nice to be a barber, trash person, guard, or things on those lines.

To the original topic, one way to facilitate the need for a hair cut would be a game mechanic in which our hair grows in game.

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Time Lord - I will build that cart for you with my Carpentry skills. That is when we have carts in the game that can be pulled by horses.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    Duke Gréagóir Said;

Time Lord - I will build that cart for you with my Carpentry skills. That is when we have carts in the game that can be pulled by horses.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~TL~:rolleyes:
    It always feels so good to know that you always have friends you can count on :)!

It's so good to have a future :D
    ~Time lord~:rolleyes:
    X

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.