How do I reduce skills

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nolove 0369, Sep 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

I leveled my character to 43 or so in previous release. This release, I have used up my experience pool on skills, I now realize, that were wasteful. Is there a way to retract those points some how? I don't mind raising them.. but I don't think I fully understand my options. Am I missing something simple or am I headed to a grindfest?
    Thank you.

2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

At the moment, no. The devs mentioned that possibility may be available in future releases, but you are out-of-luck right now.

The "grind" is no worse than what you would get if you simply restarted your character from scratch, which you will eventually need to do for R23.

And I presume that not *all* of your skills are useless in your new direction (points that went into Str/Dex/Int are probably still useful), so that should help you level faster.​

Welcome to the forums. :)

mbomber, Forest_Dweller and Hornns like this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

The need to NEVER implement a way to turn skillz to lower. If they do players will just go out and level with easier skillz (Pole Arms, Swords, etc) and then just turn them down to raise magery by training on None viable targets like a gust ball.

If the implement lowering of skillz this game will just be another grind easy skillz and retrain harder ones.

4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

That sounds rather paranoid.
    People don't go for the easy skills.
    They do for the best skills.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

not what I said I said they would train up the "easy" ones by adventuring then just go turn them down and beat up a bag ball to r\train harder ones

it would be like go out and teain ever tier one and two skill - turn them all down to lower an then train the tier 3 and higher skills in the area they want on a non viable target.

NOT PARANOID - just stating the common sense approach to what players WILL do.

6. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I thought you lost skills if you didn't use them, That's how to lower them. Will take time but no big deal with no cap.

4EverLost and Mata like this.
  7. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

Ok...so maybe I am thinking about this all wrong. Perhaps I am have skewed view because of the experience pool being available and how that grew in the release before. So... let me ask this: Are the levels that we have been used to seeing over the last releases still going on in the background? Do I get X amount of experience points for my pool each character level I raise? If that is the case, and even though I can't see the level of my character, will it be harder for me to gain usable experience at 43 than if I just started over? Sorry if this isn't as clear as I intended.

8. Zesty

Zesty Avatar

Because skills scale with difficulty to raise and adventurer levels, which fund your skill pool, skill with difficulty over time as well. This will eventually put you at a stand still.

The decay process is extremely slow and I would have never taken the choices pre-decided for me at the start of the game.

9. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Ya but when your starting a new skill, you kill a few dozen sheep that give you say 10 exp & for a lv 1 skill to raise, you only need a little exp pool. Where's the problem?

10. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

They are, but they are functionally irrelevant under the use-based system.

You kill things, and experience is added to a large pool of points in the background.

Then when you use a skill, a small amount of those points are drawn out of the pool, and applied to increase the level of the skill itself.

Nope.

Increasing lower level skills will be just as easy as a battle-hardened veteran as it would be as a newbie.

It simply takes a greater intake of experience to maintain your skills at a higher level. :)

Hornns likes this.
  11. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

I was very confused. I'm still a bit, but a lot less. Thank you!

Duke Raas likes this.
  12. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Just set the little arrow thingy to off for everything you don't want to raise and your preferred skills should raise like they did before (well, minus the xp already spent on those other 'useless' ones, you can't get that back). Hope that helped. Surely there will be refinements to this process in the future.

Hornns likes this.
  13. Whiskiz

Whiskiz Avatar

Because for example you spend a ton of exp on skills you didn't want nor need nor can use anymore in your ever evolving build, so it would be great to get some sort of refund on that spent exp, sure you can go out and grind/earn more, but you have just wasted a ton you have already earnt that you say goodbye too and whats to say the next 3 days straight of grinding or the next week once skills start going higher that, that exp isnt going to end up the same at some time?

Its made the game 20x more grindy, and 20x less possible to try everything out, which is not a good idea in a pre-alpha where everything is still so imbalanced and ever-changing.

So i completely agree with needing a way to recover spent experience. and to see the exp pool, how much we have, to know what we can spend where and when it will suddenly run out and so how much exp skills take to train (which is harder to show as it isnt the same each level but still needs to be done somehow imo)

Can you imagine for example in R20, or your first release, if every skillpoint on your character evern spent was non refundable from scratch? Sure you can just go grind even more from levelling, but imagine there was no "resepc" option on the ones you had already earnt and used from the start of you playing the game, through all the changes to skills, through all your new player trial and error, through all your theorycrafting, different setups, testing etc.

14. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I agree with your sentiment, though the analogy itself is slightly flawed.

In the previous skill system, you were actually hindered by retaining those previous skills, as it locked up the earlier easy-to-get skill points. With each new level providing fewer and fewer points for more and more effort.

In the new system, there is no such hindrance: The progression curve to achieve Level 80 in "Polearms" is the same whether you already have Level 80 in "Bludgeon" or not. Having the earlier skill does not make it more difficult to improve in the new one.

That being said : The devs suggestion on being able to return that experience back to the main pool at some fraction of the cost is a great idea. Just not sure whether I personally would ever use it. :)

15. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Interesting, I did not make that assertion either.

However, since obviously neither us fully understand each other points here, I'm going to exit this conversation.

Cheers. :)

16. Whiskiz

Whiskiz Avatar

While yes in the previous system for combat, earlier skillpoints were locked up by retaining those previous skills to get ones further down the skill tree and the new system fixes that (as its alot cheaper to train the prerequisite skill to 10, which can be earnt as quickly as the first set that you used to train to 10 and you can theoretically do this unlimited number of times, rather than use much valued skillpoints ) the new system still has the new problem i mentioned above.

Sure it takes just as long to get lvl 80 polearms as it does in say swords, but would you spend the weeks/months of heavy grinding if you ever wanted to change skills and maybe major parts of entire builds? Now you have to completely ***redo*** that entire ***weeks/months of grind*** if you ever want to change, experiment, test, theorycraft and have general fun with character development. You are penalized for doing any of that (heavily) and all of that is what makes a game great imo.

People aren't going to be happy about that, at all. Having all that time and effort mean nothing and have to do it all over again if you ever want to change skills from imbalances, theorycrafting, testing, once you learn the game better, if you find something else more fun or better etc etc etc.

And then have that extremely unforgiving skill system in a pre-alpha? Where there is major number imbalances between skills? When all the skills aren't even implemented yet? When there is still going to be wipes and you have to start over 3 4 5 more times on top of already redoing it multiple times in-between each wipe each time you want to do something different from said imbalances theorycrafting improving etc? Insanity.

The game is going to compete with the asian market for how grindy it is going to become, seriously, if it continues in this initial direction of the new combat system.

That option to respec up until this new combat system was there for a very good reason, and that good reason has not changed, whether it can be as easily implemented or whatever other reason they removed that kind of option, or not.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  17. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Well, in past releases it was "level" based, everytime you gained a level you would get a bunch of points you could then distribute them as you wish to get additional glyph's to add to you deck (the more glyph's, the more often it would get delt)...

Now we have a "skill use" system, so when you pay 100 gold, it opens that glyth to use, and each time you succeed it gives you a few 1/10ths of a point for swinging your sword and hitting something doing damage... When you hear the sound go off, you just crossed over a full point, after 10 points you can unlock the next tier with another 100 gold...

As far as I know, each skill can goto 100 (and beyond, whatever that means), and I don't think there is any "cap" you need to worry about, so there is no need to "turn down" any skill, but if you want to stop "learning" it, click the up arrow and it will "stop" or just stop pressing the icon or using that weapon / armor / spell and you won't learn anymore anyways... as for as I know any skill that's "off" will atrophy after a couple of months of none use...

It's a very "new" system, so I don't know how the "inate" skills tie into anything... All I know for sure is that my HPs were 50, and my focus was 40, and now I have over 100 in each, so I'm happerer by the play session as my skills climb... I alway hear the "bong" when my skill rocks... I just don't know what I did to do it or what went up when I did it...

Hornns likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.