How do multiple Ring of Fires interact?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Drya, Mar 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drya

Drya Avatar

When I started playing, some time back, I was told by more experienced players that it was important not of overlap the fire rings of others. I was told when this occured, that the power of the two fire rings dropped to that of the lowest fire ring. As I am now GM specialized in fire magic and have leveled my Ring of Fire to 120, I used to ask other players in pick-up groups not to overwrite my fire ring and explained why, as it was told to me. My request is generally ignored. But I did have one player ask me where I got this information from. What proof did I have that overwriting fire rings brings their effectiveness down to the level of the lower ring?

So I went looking and there is nothing on the Skill Tree that warns that overwriting lowers the efficacy of the higher level ring. I looked up the skill on the SOTA wiki and there is nothing there either. I've been told by more than one experienced player that overwriting another's ring is counter productive. Was this the case at one time, but the mechanic has changed? I've given up asking others not to overwrite my rings in UT, just a waste of key strokes. Still, I would like to know what the dynamics are of multiple fire rings and where is this effect, if any, documented in the game.

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i've never heard that before, but it seems like it'd be an easy thing to test with a practice dummy and a log parser.

3. Vero

Vero Avatar

This is still the case. (not just for RoF, for more spells)

Let's say one Ring of Fire gives very high dmg and another one less. If a mob 'walks' over the strong RoF first, and then walks over the less strong one; the less strong DoT (damage over time) will get applied. This being 'counter productive'.
    This will make a biggggg difference in certain fights/areas where the firedmg is 'key'.

Now upper tears-wise. It does not matter 'a whole lot' because in general mobs die faster then the RoF has time to tick/do dmg ;)
    This changes if there is a small group doing UT where the RoF DOES mean more dmg then with a big group and banish undeads flying around from every corner ;)

People not responding in UT in my experience (thats why i dont like pugs) is half are afk leeching xp ;p and thus not read it. (not hating on pug's, just my pug UT excperience)

Safe travels!

4. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

[​IMG]

Jaesun likes this.
  5. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Its not it takes the lower one, if you lay then right on top of each other, the last one cast its the one that works, at least this was the case. I dont know if this has been changed recently, I have not tested for a while. and as vero said, the last one they walk through is the one that is ticking on them, so lay your weak ones out ahead and the good one in the spot where they walk last and most.

Drya, Jaesun and Synergy Blaize like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.