Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

How many hours of play should be required to purchase property?

Discussion in 'Release 20 Feedback' started by Serillian, Aug 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Serillian

Serillian Avatar

So, I have over 40 hours dumped into R20 and have reached levels Adv: 43 Prod: 31 with about 15k in gold and no unused combat skill points. This puts me about 45k gold away from the newly priced 60k gold row lot deed.

I know things are still changing, but what are the devs thinking in terms of the right amount of play time required to get property through the game?

Quenton likes this.
  2. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Probably a couple weeks to a couple months worth of play time would be my guess. (depending on individual playtime). I want to say I remember hearing what they had in mind at one point, but I'm not sure where. It looks like you might have enough gold in another week though, because as you gain experience, you gain more and more opportunities to get gold, so your earn-rate should continue to go up.

3. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I don't think it should have any thing to do with game time. or how long you played or what lvl you are. It should have everything to do with having the correct amount of gold to buy it..... So when you acquire the correct amount of gold. you can them purchase the deed .... That you earn by crafting, or questing or from drops hopefully .... :rolleyes::)

Daygoth Pomerantz BMC likes this.
  4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

At the very least double that and then some.

5. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I believe the OP was just saying the Devs likely expect players to be able to make a certain amount of gold per hour while playing the game, by playing the game, and based on that average can estimate how many hours of gameplay it would take players on average to acquire enough gold to afford a house/lot.

Quenton, KuBaTRiZeS and 4EverLost like this.
  6. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Considering that getting a lot deed is a lifetime achievement for your avatar potentially over 5 episodes, what would you like to see?

If I can theoretically grind a castle lot deed in less than a week and have it for 260 weeks over the life span of the game, I think that might be too easily attainable.

Also, if you disregard all the time you spent getting to level 40 (hopefully you had fun), how much time would it take a leveled up character to get a lot over a character leveling?

Edit: how much time would it take a seasoned crafter to acquire the gold over a crafter just learning the ropes.

7. Serillian

Serillian Avatar

I'm not sure if a row or village lot deed should be a lifetime achievement in the same way a castle would be. Furthermore, having access to a home unlocks a whole slew of content for the player to enjoy and likely stimulates the player driven economy - which seems like something you'd want to encourage. No, you shouldn't be able to grind your way to a castle in a week or even a month - but after a good 40 hours of play (or maybe 80 w/out exp bonus), it might be nice to be close to a row house.

8. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Yes, but when the game goes live or as we get closer, we should see mechanisms like rentals come into play so while you may not be able to decorate a whole house, you should still be able to access the practical purpose of a house (increase inventory space). So in that case, should you be able to afford a house so quickly when there are still 4 more episodes to come?

9. Unforgiven2

Unforgiven2 Avatar

It's also about how you choose to spend your time/money. Skills cost gold too, and if you are aggressively advancing your character's skills, then its money being taken away from the house. You need to choose what you want and prioritize your spending, or lack there of, accordingly.

kbruder and Katrina Bekers like this.
  10. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I do want people to fall in love with the game to the point that they want a home here. I'm not at all being eliteist.

I don't think our line of questioning is the real problem. + a week - a week + a few thousand gold - a few thousand gold, whatever.

I'd like to know if someone is a supporter of the game through the entry level price point will they have a chance at a lot a few weeks after the release?

Regardless of the exact amont of time/experience required to get a lot deed it's all moot if a player can't find a lot where they can place the house.

I look forward to understanding how limited housing will encourage an inclusive environment in this game. I personally don't understand how this can work.

From what I understand, people want to belong, have some level of responsibility and they want to matter (in multiplayer).

Remove accessible housing for all and I believe we will tangibly feel the consequences.

Miracle Dragon and 4EverLost like this.
  11. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Hard to say but IMO a row lot should require quite a bit of time invested. OP invested 40 hours and earned 15k gold. Gold will come quicker now that he's leveled up a bit. So 100+ hours to earn 60k gold which is enough to buy a row lot deed? Mind you he'll still need to buy a housing deed. Seems more or less reasonable. I'd err on the side of making it more expensive though. Who knows what the pricing will be come launch time.

Cordelayne, Womby and Miracle Dragon like this.
  12. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Welll you can stop thinking about Keep / Castle deeds as they are NOT going to be obtainable in game unless you buy from a player who wants to sell so best you can look for is City (Land) lot.

and the 400K to buy one is RIGHT on. There are ways out there to get that easily enough at this time, but upon Launch, it should take 6 months at a min? That is normal play if all you do is grind for your goal well then ? 1 - 2 months?????

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  13. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I "hid" the word theoretical in my post for a reason.

Miracle Dragon and 4EverLost like this.
  14. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

So for comparison, when FFXIV opened up housing, a small guild house lot and house to place on it for a heavily populated server started around 3.5 million Gil, it took a small group of 6 to 8 active players roughly three weeks to get the funds for the lot, and then about four days for the house. For group makeup: 2 were very active in the storyline as a means of obtaining Gil, 2 were fairly active top line crafters, and the rest were casual two hours or so a night.

IMHO, anything less will feel very unrealistic, and anything three times as long will feel very much the Grind for a row house comparison for one to three people.

15. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

So, when boats come along, I see a place for rental slips that could be placed and the rent is two to four times the amount per time interval collected, as a means of not having the boat parked in the spot forever, or you have enough residual income to maintain the slip.

16. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Not owning a property doesn't equal not having a place to live.

There will be plenty of different types of obtainable housing in SotA for all players.

Maybe adventurers prefer living in hotels or apartments and don't want to be held down by owning a house. Dont't like the threat of being in a boomtowns or bust. Simply cheaper to rent a floor in a cool place than to upkeep an entire home(taxes).

Housing should be tough to get. It is valuable and is a primary basis of SotA development. I would say it was about 6 months to get a house when UO first started. Should be about a year for SotA.

Maybe 9 months if you want to go for a row.

It would be a good time to raise pledges to get all the house deeds though. Edelmann is the best value in my opinion. You get a lot of cool stuff in that package.

17. causepain

causepain Avatar

It mean You grind/kill wrong monsters or spent much more crafting than exping. I got similiar level within 25h and many hours spent wandering Owl's Head, bought full combat points and many thing bought from players (full artisan tools, etc) but i also sell few things in Auction House (2-3k each day, previous releases without players vendors it was even up to 6k).

Last release earning 60k for deed was about 2-3 hours depend from luck (with huge luck it was 1h) and skill, in this release i didn't check most scenes i assume it will be around 3-5h. In fact i check only few scenes but You need know what do You want exp or gold from monsters. I recommend for You grind Large/Hardened/Elite (in that way you will have exp and loot) Footman (archers and mage need to be chased and you will waste plenty of time, archers give nice bows but mages give crappy wands worth less than rusty sword in this release 85 (in last release it was 10) )undeads since form last release they have around 50-75 hp (in r18 they had 250-375 hp, but i won't ask again for fixing that) and kill them with Banish Undead - so they won't ressurect. And remember to sell weapons/shields/armor only to blacksmith in major cities

ps. sorry for errors i write without spell checking

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  18. Albus

Albus Avatar

I'm hoping it will not take forever for a new player to obtain entry level housing, but that once obtained that there will be plenty of ways to spend time towards upgrading/decorating the home going onward. Seeking out trophies, exotic decorations, various potential upgrades (basements, new house types, perhaps ways to pain interiors/exteriors, potential is virtually limitless if the devs want to play around with more ways to upgrade). Obtaining the home should not be the end/goal, but upgrading and enhancing it could go on forever but in a fun way ;)

Miracle Dragon and Rebelweasel like this.
  19. Aimend

Aimend Avatar

If it took me 9 months to get a house in a game, I wouldn't be playing the game. It's really easy for someone to throw out timeframes like this when you already have houses and lots in the bank.

Every time these conversations come up about making things harder, the only people these ideas truly seem to negatively impact are the players that didn't buy in early.....

Challenge is great. It creates goals which keep people in the game. We want goals and challenges. We don't want to sit around after a month waiting for the next episode to come out because there is nothing left to achieve. But at the same rate, we want to attract players to the game post launch.

At most, it should probably only take a couple months of effort to get a starter home. People like houses. It gives them a foothold in a community and something to make their own.

20. Curt

Curt Avatar

Given that it will be a story (at least for solo offline) maybe when you completed 50% of your story would be a decent timing of affording first house?

kbruder likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.