How much "work" is necessary to be able to enjoy every aspect of a game???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stundorn, Jun 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Time spent = effort
    Work = effort
    Risk = Reward...

how much time and work and taking risk is neccessary to be able to enjoy every aspect of a game?

Answer: Nothing!
    Why? Because its all about fun and not work

But people allways talk about the most time you spent and the harder you work you get more out of it, thats how it works. Like in reallife!!!

But this is a game and not real life, we are here to relax and to step out of meritocracy - performance ratio spirale thing you know.

But some find it relaxing to grind.

Yes, no one want to stop them, but if its relaxing to them, then they should do it for relaxation, not for endless rewards.
    The fun doing it and the relaxation is the reward, isnt it?
    Same for PvP - why need incentives to do it - the thing itself is rewarding.
    Same for PvE and everything else, isn't it???

No it's not - It's all about getting as much reward as possible!

Ok then, then how much is necessary to have a satisfiying reward???

that depends on everyones individal choice - some spent more to get more some are modest and spent less time, work less and are satisfied!

But shouldn't it be that playing a game is a time where all people come together, play together, maybe compete for fun among each other?

But thats only possible if the distribution of power is balanced - thats why people compare to each other, checking if they are equal powerfull, have equal possibilities and privileges and such...

Ok then - then again: who much work is necessary to be able to enjoy every apsect of the game and partake in every aspects of the game?

some aspects need real money, some aspect need a huge amount of time, some aspects need a special aproach to the game and some aspects are for free, need no time, no money, but admitted a special aproach.

whats the measure then?

How much time do poeple need to spent a day or a week?
    What yould be the measure to grant the majority of players to be able to enjoy and partake all aspects of the game?

1hr/ day or 10hrs/ week?

or more like 5hrs/ day to 50/hrs a week?

How much time the most players spent on games?

Maybe i have to recognize i am never be able to compete with "professional" gamers or at least gamers who spent 10 times more time than me into games?

But why is this all about spent time and less about playerskill?
    And why play games with competetive content then?

Some great games had limiting factors and make it possible to everybody to be competetive one day.
    UO was such a game iirc....

dont we play a spiritual successor???

I say playing 2hrs the one or two day and lets say something between 10-20hrs a week, what is a lot of time to the most people who are working, have family, kids, dogs, maybe do sports :rolleyes:

should be enough to be one day competetive in the game and make you able to partake in all aspects of the game.

And by one day i dont talk about 2-3 years, but a couple of month up to a year.

What do you think?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  2. Casey McCormick

Casey McCormick Avatar

I think that you worry too much about what others think.
    Do what you like, and have fun with what you enjoy.
    Don't worry about what others think or say and you will be a happy person.
    TLDR; if you enjoy this game, you will enjoy this game. If you don't enjoy this game, nothing which other people do or say will change your mind.

3. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

The problem is not everyone wants the same thing, and what makes it great for one, spoils it for others.

Cordelayne likes this.
  4. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I guess theres a fine line between when it goes from fun into work.

Are you having fun now? Yes? Awesome.
    When you goal becomes getting to run new stuff, that gap between Fun and leveling just to get to something new so its fun agian, is where it gets interesting.

Personally i put in 200-300 hours initially into sota of straight enjoyment. Leveling up. Exploring. Doing new things.
    Then it started to be a day of grinding here, day of grinding there , to get to the next * stage * of where i wanted to be so i could do new stuff.

Where that line between fun/work starts to mix is different in this game, to each individual. Same as literally anything else in life.

The goal of the developers is to keep that fun aspect in for as long and as much as they can.

Stundorn and FrostII like this.
  5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Why is anyone expected to enjoy every aspect of the game? I don't intend to.

Elwyn and liz_the_wiz like this.
  6. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

i actually quite enjoy a good grind :) and a bit of death is healthy

7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

What's your definition of "healthy", @liz_the_wiz ?
    And yes, I am being serious here..... ;)

8. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

Disagreed. But it's alright.

Right? :rolleyes:

Cordelayne likes this.
  9. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

In anything in life you learn it, and have to go practice, it is argued that practice is grind. before you ask examples would be getting grade 8 flute (5 voilin, theory, piano.... etc) getting my 1st dan black belt, these take hours and hours of practice, of very much arguable repetitiveness. getting it rgiht.

a little death in game is healthy, you shouldnt just go out kill all the bad things, get all the loots. there should be challenge, meaning you need to think and plan attacks, strategies.. so.. death? at least once or twice a session death is not going to kill enjoyment unless you only play an hour a day. but, if you can play more, a couple of deaths should leave yon the up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.