How tall is my character?

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Poor game design, Dec 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I think it would help to add to the character creation screen a measurement in height to the size scroll bar. The reason I think this is important is that I'm looking to be about the height that I am in real life, which is 6'2.

In my mind, the average height of a male person in the world is probably around 6'0. But the height scroll bar seems to make the middle height more around 5'0. It's unclear how tall the highest player character is, 6'5?

When entering the game with a new character I noticed that Arabella was about the same height that my character is, and I can't imagine that RG's wife is above 6'0.

So my point is that it's hard to gauge how tall you're making your character in the creation screen, and a simple measurement ruler on the scroll bar would be greatly appreciated.

Ice Queen likes this.
  2. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I always choose the default (middle height) and I am not really concerned about how tall my character is in meters, but I would like to know if taller characters can jump higher.

Ice Queen likes this.
  3. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I like the idea of having numbers associated with the slider but i will never again make my toon as small as it allows as the toon can't make certain jumps lol.

I shall make my case with the following video.

rest in peace weeman!

4. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Nice feature for a future episode. We risk unnecessarily overcomplicating the UI for this edge case. The avatars are not currently configurable enough to replicate more than a rare human profile. Height and weight will not add much value.

Ice Queen likes this.
  5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

[​IMG]

Tahru and Ice Queen like this.
  6. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

You are tall enough for your legs to reach the ground (in most scenes).

I always build the largest I can and some of the doorways I hit my head... quite a few releases ago I actually couldn't get through one of the gates in the clink when trying to talk to Myra's brother when walking normally (thankfully that was fixed).

Ice Queen and Alley Oop like this.
  7. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

For some reason rats make me think short...! But 6-2, wow!

Seriously though, good comment in the OP. I agree.

[​IMG]

Ice Queen and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  8. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Normally, I pick the smallest character model I can get in an mmo. They're harder to target, easier to hide with, and feel like they're walking or running faster to me for some reason. The largest character models in most games, for some reason, make me feel like I'm walking or running sluggishly slower, and are usually first targets in pvp situations, so I just don't play them. Since I won't be pvp'ing in Sota though, I'm fine with the shortest I can get that's available. Hopefully, in future episodes we'll have more character race choices and even more height variations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.