How will combat engagement and basic attack work?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Alayth, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

We've been given some idea of how combat skills will work. However, I feel like I still don't get how the more basic aspects of combat are supposed to work. Based on some of what Chris said VERY early on, I'm assuming we have a basic, auto-attack - our character will swing their weapon as often as they can while they are in combat and in range. But this leaves a huge number of questions about combat gameplay:

Is it going to be UO style, where the equivalent of double-clicking while in combat mode means you'll now attempt to attack that enemy whenever you're in range, while you maintain full control of your character? Or will double clicking cause you to run up to the enemy until you're in range, and attempting to run breaks off combat? Will you be able to close for enough space to swing your weapon, then back off (to avoid strikes from your enemy) until you're ready to swing again?

Will all basic attacks be auto-attacks, without any twitch or aiming elements?

Finally, what will count as "being in combat"? Can I double click an enemy far away to start my skills rolling, and then run away until the one I want comes up? Or, turn and run when I don't have a decent skill up, and only stop when I have one good one? Or do I have to be within my weapon's range to be considered in combat?

Apparently there is some plan for the devs to answer a small number of questions every week (https://shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/forum-titles-gone.5936/page-4#post-104203)- I submit that some questions about basic combat gameplay would be great.

2. vjek

vjek Avatar

From what has been shown, you can be forced into combat without offensive actions on your part, and without line of sight to the target.

Everything else, from what has been shown and described as design goals, I wouldn't care to speculate, as they haven't provided enough details to answer with any certainty.

3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

The combat system, quite simply, has a long way to go. If you looked at the threads after the first preview, people had tons of questions and concerns over basic WASD movement and camera controls.

Once you add a little combat, everyone will want dodge (like they wanted jump). All of the buttons and controls will have much, much more meaning when you're multitasking. Even with just auto-attack, you'll be dodging, kiting, LoSing, circle strafing, etc. The mouse will also get overloaded very fast in terms of camera, targeting, UI interaction, etc.

4. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Id assume the wasd movement and mouse controls would work like every other mmo

5. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I'm telling you, Gerbils. They are so much cooler than mice.

6. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

Gerbils also have the bushy tail ends. Not to mention their design is much more streamline and fluid. I've had gerbils totally dominated the mice in the exercise wheel department.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.