Hunting

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by monxter, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monxter

monxter Avatar

I couldn't find a "crafting" thread regarding hunting specifically. I'm a more or less casual hunter myself, and was wondering how hunting will have it's place in this game. What I'm thinking about is that in real life hunting with an axe, sword or any other melee weapon would be quite challenging if not impossible. I know animals can be hunted in groups, and driven into a net-trap or ambush for example.

Raw material gathering:
    Hunting is an important aspect in gathering materials, you can get a lot of useful materials from a single deer for example. Should anyone be able to hunt game that can easily outrun you, for example trying to bash a deer with a warhammer? Sure there are some animals that will fight back: boars for instance, that you can engage with melee weapons in real life too.

Hunting as a profession - providing materials for crafters!
    Would it be a crazy idea, that to do efficient hunting it'd require either ranged or thrown weapons, or trapping? Tracking could play a role here as well... I think it might create a role for players who want to make a living by gather materials by hunting to craft from or to sell raw materials. What do you think of this idea, instead of anyone being able to catch any animal by running and stabbing it to death, including birds?

2. Vedrix

Vedrix Avatar

Mace + Flying Bird = Food.

All joking aside I think they incorporated this pretty well in Skyrim however I feel the animals should have a stamina limited and not run indefinitely, and if I wait 30 in-game minutes they shouldn't quickly return to their original position (work around, wait 30-60 min, deer respawn beside you, mace + deer = food). Good idea though I do like it. Makes a tracing system fully viable and useful, also could make people who specialize in hunting useful to crafting!

3. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

Other then leather, feathers and maybe animal oils what other resources can you guys think of that would make this type of hunting valuable and meaningful? I know they can make up stuff like needing a baby seal flippers for special boots, but that would get away from the realism you are trying to achieve.

4. monxter

monxter Avatar

@Gracekain, leather, feathers and animal oils seem like a logic addition imo.
    I suppose there could be some special types of materials like you suggested, however many might feel it's too burdensome to collect loads of different materials. I probably would like there to be more than fewer ones.
    I think the bones of animals can be used as well, also tusks and antlers, claws, intestines (for cooks to make sausages for examples), blubber -> oil... those are some I can think of now. I believe hunters could provide something more to the economy / crafting than only fur, leather and meat.

licemeat likes this.
  5. monxter

monxter Avatar

Oh, add tendons / sinews to crafting materials, definitely useful.

6. Vedrix

Vedrix Avatar

Don't forget the bones! They can be used with jewelry/tinkering style crafting to make epic charms and gear that just looks cool!

7. Braddles the Wise

Braddles the Wise Avatar

@Vedrix, while Skyrim may be my most played game ever (upwards of 1000 hours) I disagree that hunting was implemented well, there's a whole host of reasons why that simply isn't case. From unrealistic animal behaviour, the speed of animals, how hostile animals like wolves are. Also there is the fact that when you kill an animal you get one cutting of meat, and one pelt, which doesn't even provide enough material for a pair of boots.

Bare in mind that when hunting in real life you only need to kill one animal like a deer to have enough meat for a few weeks, in Skyrim you have to kill one deer per day to have enough meat for a meal that includes the meat. If it is going to be realistic, hunting should be all about patience, preparation and stealth.

It should take a very long time for you to be at a close enough range to make the kill, and that is if you are hiding in bushes or whatever. Animals should be incredibly fast as they are in real life, if you cannot make the shot with your bow or crossbow the first time, the animal is gone.

Preparation can come from things like buying bait, ensuring you have a knife to skin the animal, having enough arrows or crossbow bolts to not run out of them, setting up traps, actually being prepared to make the shot when an animal finally does appear, etcetera.

And for the patience and preparation you put in, the reward should be worth it, you should be able to butcher the animal into many different sized cuttings, with different parts of the animal being worth different amounts, and the pelt should be fairly valuable (not the 30 gold crap like in Skyrim) and for crafting you should be able to use the pelt for more than "1 leather", I don't know exactly how much leather you could get from a deer pelt, but I am sure you could get enough to make more than one single boot.

monxteri likes this.
  8. monxter

monxter Avatar

@Braddles: well said, I agree.
    Hunting is all about patience and making your shots count, as well as preparation and stealth too. That's a good remard you say about the amount of materials you get from a deer from example, which is definitely more than a boot or a single meal :)

what if it actually took a lot of skill and patience to kill a deer / moose, which would provide a good amount of raw materials... like in reality! I like the sound of that, what do others think?

9. Lukashka the Necromancer

Lukashka the Necromancer Avatar

Just jumping in to say I really like the idea of tracking and trapping as skills- setting snares and cages in the woods and checking them to see if you caught anything could be a lot of fun, also useful for battle as well.
    Tracking could allow you to see animal tracks, placing your trap where there are a lot of them increases your chance to catch something. Also, I'd like to point out- once you have something in your trap it's perfectly reasonable to kill it with a mace at that point. Hell, that's exactly what trappers used to do anyhow.

I always thought it was weird how "hunters" in a lot of games had animals as companions. That's weird. They kill them, they don't hang out with them. That's for druids and tamers and stuff.

Speaking of cages- lobster/crab/etc cages as part of fishing? That would be neat too, and could provide a chance to catch something really special...

10. monxter

monxter Avatar

@Lukasha: I also like the idea of setting traps, as well as tracking down game - if hunting is to be a viable profession, it's very likely to be my profession :) Tracking combined with traps - why not! that's how you try to do it in real life as well! And I very much agree with your point of having to put the animal down once it's trapped, a good detail! That's when the sledgehammer is put to use!

I see hunters using the help of dogs, or birds of prey, but other than that - I agree that it's kind of weird that hunters often have animal companions of other kinds as well.

- perhaps fishermen could make use of the "trapping" skill and build cages, nets etc for fishing use, to collect larger amounts of catch. Or maybe it'll be part of the fishing skill itself, however I'd like to see that.

11. Lukashka the Necromancer

Lukashka the Necromancer Avatar

@monxteri - good point! I forgot about hunting dogs and falconers and such. Dunno why. But that makes it a lot more legit xD

monxteri likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.