Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

I improved my performance a bit thanks to Link

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Ravicus Domdred, Aug 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

@Link_of_Hyrule Thank you for your advice about my computer graphics. I was mostly unplayable until then.
    I had my invidia control panel set for auto instead of dedicated. It was using my integrated graphics card mostly. So I set it to force use of my GeForce GTX 860m and now have much better performance. My load times are still long but not nearly as long as before. I can freely run around in game now in scenes and on the overland map. This is in single player online. I have not tried multiplayer yet and have to go to work. I will try multiplayer later to see if I can do that. Anyways thank you Link for the work-around advice and it is much appreciated.
    GeForce GTX 860M
    Inel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @2.5GHz
    4.00 GB RAM
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Tahru, Link_of_Hyrule, Albus and 3 others like this.
  2. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

It's odd that Unity would pick the integrated GPU over the dedicated one (or could it be NVidia control bugged out?).

But now that your rig is using the correct GPU, I'm glad you get the better performance. Part of the scene load time still depending on the disk I/O, so disable anti virus or set exclusion on the game folder may help a bit. If possible, upgrade to the SSD.

[​IMG]

Snazz, Albus and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

thank you. I will try to disable the antivirus. Not sure how to set exclusion on the game folder. Any hints on how to do that?

4. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

It depends on the anti virus you're using (some may not allow at all). I would just throw a quick google search for "[your AV software name] how to exclude files". For example, this is for Avast: https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB168.

If your machine is 64 bit, I would recommend to upgrade the RAM to at least 8 GB if possible. 4GB will be quite a challenge since Windows OS itself can eat up some RAM by heaps as well.

Albus and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  5. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

ok thanks. :)

6. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

It's not Unity picking the GPU by default most laptops will use the lower powered gpu unless your to use the higher one to conserve battery especially if it's not plugged in.

I agree if you don't have an ssd spend the $100 and get one I put a Samsung 850 Evo in my olds Asus laptop and it's performance went up quite a bit. I'm betting the 500GB SSD will be on sale for $100 in November. I'm going to get one for my desktop. If your computer has a dvd drive you don't use you might be able to get a drive bay and keep both drives.

Ravicus Domdred and 4EverLost like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.