If I were to live stream the game, would there be music copyright notices?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by C64Television, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C64Television

C64Television Avatar

I was hoping to stream this for all my viewers once the game is full developed and released. However, since most streaming sites mute the VOD(recorded show) if any copyrighted music is played, I was wondering if there will be problems with that?

For example. I don't play personal music or any copyrighted music when I stream. Therefore, none of my streams have ever been muted. But some streamers will have a copyrighted music playlist on during there stream and thus their playback VODs are all muted.

In a nutshell, will the game music show up as copyrighted by streaming sites and YouTube?

I know it's a while until full release of the game, but I figure it's best to ask now before I forget. I am hoping to do a huge show for this and I want to make sure there are no hiccups.

Thanks for reading.
    :)

Gaelis and EnigmaWinz like this.
  2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Since its a true fan sourced and fan funded title, the obvious answer should be that no there won't be any copyright, as long as you have pledged dev+ and over there should be no dispute and you're only doing us a service by promoting the game.

3. Gix

Gix Avatar

It also depends on whenever or not you make a profit from your streaming practices; you get less headaches if you don't.

4. EnigmaWinz

EnigmaWinz Avatar

I haven't had any issues with my streams on twitch thus far. I don't play any music though, only the game and my mic. I do occasionally get a video flagged for copyrighted material when I upload a twitch highlight to YouTube though. There is a particular piano piece within the game that YouTube seems to think is some other copyrighted song from time to time. . when that happens I merely dispute it with a link to this https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=47871 and the flag is always removed from the video the following day.

5. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

As EnigmaWinz has mentioned here - There is a dispute page for Youtube and Twitch. Streaming the game is allowed, streaming the music as it is crowd sourced should be allowed. The only exception is One.... Avatars Radio.

Avatars Radio is licensed and royalties paid, however, we are only licensed and protected for ourselves. If you are a streamer and have the radio on, you may be flagged for VOD. The only way we have been able to get over this has been via covering our own streamers through our license. However, this only works for those on our Avatars Radio team. If, you are not on the team and you do so, you are running the risk of the VOD. As Avatars Radio - played through the Aether Ampifier - does play copywritten music. That we are covered for but does not extend to others not under our license.

So you could stream, and they welcome people to do so. Just keep in mind what you are streaming. And, the chance they may VOD you, if you have the Aether Amplifier on.

Maethar and SeleneNoctua like this.
  6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Amber, milady, can you please rephrase that in english please :)

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  7. Gix

Gix Avatar

Music being broadcast via Avatars Radio is not protected unless you're affiliated with them.

You're okay to stream SotA content; everything else is in the gray area. That's assuming Portalarium gives us the green light (it'd be nice to have an official word on this)... which is the whole point of this thread.

8. Gypsy Lou

Gypsy Lou Avatar

All of the advice given thus far sounds logical and reasonable but, technically and legally speaking, is not reliable. Copyright protections are very specific and are not relinquished without explicit action by the copyright holder and/or as a result of certain limited exceptions. Whether your use is commercial may be a factor, but not necessarily dispositive. Also, note that if you are doing any advertising on your site then your use is "commercial". It's always very tempting to give legal advice based on common understandings and, as a practical matter, Portalarium probably isn't going to have a lot of heartburn over a fan site that is promoting its game, but legal opinions are rarely made in the abstract and are highly dependent on individual fact scenarios so the best source of legal expertise on a subject as narrow as Intellectual Property law is going to be an IP lawyer.

9. Drake Aedus

Drake Aedus Avatar

Yes, as linked above in the thread here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=47871

Commercial Terms of Service

smack and Gix like this.
  10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Don't put the radio on if your streaming :p

11. NBNN News

NBNN News Avatar

The music In Game should not get you flagged as we do it on a daily basis here on NBNN.
    There has only been 1 instance that we are aware of and that's being looked in to.

As previously noted IF you happen to wander in to an area where Avatars Radio might be playing In Game, you need to keep yourself AWARE of that.
    As it can and will get flagged if it's copyrighted material. We have had it happen several times.

But all in all you should be pretty safe with the In Game Music as it sits.

If you need anymore info don't hesitate to ask we stream Daily.

Laz

12. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Since YouTube uses an algorithm for copyright infringement even people that technically own the copyright or if the music is in public domain will still get takedown notices. Even if SOTA and PORT allows you to broadcast and gives you permission to distrubute the music, you could still get your video taken down and have to go through the laughable dispute process. I would just recommend you avoid the hassle and turn off the music when you record or broadcast the game.

Sir Frank likes this.
  13. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Best advice.

14. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Worth further mentioning I have had a SOTA video taken down because of the community created music by Space Bards. Someone else was claiming copyright over it (even though it was listed as a different song) and I had to have YouTube strip all sound from the video since I had no evidence to prove I was authorized. This was a private video which was only meant to illustrate a bug directly to the developers, so once again just avoid the hassle and just turn off the music.

Heres to hoping for sanity in copyright laws in my lifetime.

15. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

I personally don't care. I will jam out some Foghat all I want during a live broadcast.

16. Jack Frost

Jack Frost Avatar

I have not received any copyright notifications about the music that is included in the game from Twitch. However, YouTube flags one song in particular and that has been brought to the attention of Portalarium - this includes the song that is claimed to be infringing. YouTube's flagging of the video just means that you can't run ads on the video.

If you play music while you are streaming on Twitch, Twitch will mute sections of the video that they deem carry copyrighted music on the archived copies of your stream. Twitch does have a collection of songs that can be played that do not infringe upon copyrights, but I have never looked into it.
    Here are a couple of scenarios in which I stream:

1) As an NBNN reporter, I don't play music on my streams other than the in game music, frequently we will interact over TeamSpeak or even Skype with others and music provides too much of a distraction.

2) While grinding, I will frequently listen to my own music and expect it to get muted and don't plan on rebroadcasting that stream anyways.

3) Demonstration of game mechanics/questing on Twitch uses in game music for re-playability.

Right now, if you were to visit my stream you would see a repeat of me messing around as Jack Lamplighter (lighting the lights or running the ponies), the 4B 3d maze from the weekend, the GustBall game from the weekend, or a discussion that Laz and I were having during the "Open Mic" night from last night.

NBNN is like CNN - lots of repeats :) Watch enough and you'll know what's going on in the world around you.

-jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.