If you enjoy exploring and crafting ? please read -- (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Margard, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Margard

Margard Avatar

I would love to venture out into the wild to find a master sword/amour smith to learn new techniques/secretes of the trade AND bring back my newly gained knowledge to differentiate myself from other crafters.

(These quests could be tailored to any crafting profession ? with their own unique spin on it)

(My rational is a simple one; I enjoy exploring as much as I enjoy crafting and finding a way to work for the improvement of one ? while performing the other sounds amazing)

(Please feel free to add or refine, just go easy on me ? it?s my only post)

Going on these journeys ? would help you learn unique/rare recipes and modify existing ones ? as well as grant the ability to execute them.

- Modifications to existing/ready available recipes result in cosmetic alterations to known weapon designs - (adding to your wares visual appeal).

-Unique/rare recipes could provide knowledge to ?refine the crafting process? to produce weapons of higher quality (less money to repair or improved damage ability etc ) - or give you the ability to craft unique weapons (unique could be whatever the crafting community define it to be)

-Your Avatar could readily disseminate this information ? by ?teaching? other crafters in your geographical area ? however - unless they take their own journey, their crafted material will be of lesser quality than yours ? but better than standard recipes (that are given to new players).

-There could be multiple ?masters? for each crafting profession ? each teaching something new ? and by coincidence ? spread out in the world (forcing willing crafters to take on the mission to venture around the world) - the improvements would not be drastic as not to make people feel that to be a good crafter you have to do this ? however it will be an improvement

-Perhaps - these master crafters ? know ? ?where? or ?how? to find resources in ?safe? areas ? (this is just something I?m throwing out there ? primarily ? because I know that there are a lot of crafters concerned with PvP) [a new resource area appears on your map ? you of course can share this with allies (they could come into the instant with you) ? however they would not be able to see where they are going unless they are with you]

This is just something I?ve been thinking about ? if any of these ideas meshes with your playing style please chime in - hopefully there is something in here that people like and would like to see in game

2. Bzus

Bzus Design Lord SOTA Developer

Nice ideas. We want to encourage exploration for crafters and give them reasons to venture far from home.

3. Margard

Margard Avatar

Thanks - I'm glad someone responded - all the better that it was a Dev :) ... have a good day man

4. Illesac

Illesac Avatar

This post makes me think that I'd like to see a slow trickle of better weapons come into the game. I'm not sure about the mechanism of how to "drop" a new recipe into the world but I think each should spawn randomly in different locations and times, maybe even a day or week later. Let the fellow enjoy his monopoly on the item before another comes out.

5. rschultzy80

rschultzy80 Avatar

@Illesac "This post makes me think that I?d like to see a slow trickle of better weapons come into the game. I?m not sure about the mechanism of how to ?drop? a new recipe into the world but I think each should spawn randomly in different locations and times, maybe even a day or week later. Let the fellow enjoy his monopoly on the item before another comes out."

I don't know if it would be accepted by the community but I believe I actually have a way to implement this if the community and dev team wanted it.

Obviously when we all start and the world is launched no one is going to go out the first day and kill "high-level" boss/elite/champion mobs. As the game progresses, that champion mob that no one has ever killed, or that mountain pass that RG mentioned finally gets cleared and at the other end the is some ogre lord. You kill him and drops a new "item or recipe". From a realism perspective I'd imagine it's a weapon and through reverse engineering or some such "skill" the player can learn how to now craft this item.

Just a basic idea of how it could work.

6. Illesac

Illesac Avatar

@rschultzy80 - Those were along the lines that I was thinking and thanks for putting it into words. I'm glad you point something out though and that is the whole "accepted by the community" statement. The community be damned in some cases, this adds a huge element to the game and people will be upset they can't get everything they want all at once but it gives people something to strive to achieve. At first it will annoy people but those are the people on the losing end of the equation. Give them a chance to have a monopoly on an item and they'll change faster than a werewolf at midnight.

Everyone, let's not forget that Ultima Online was originally awarded "Coaster of the Year" and rated very low by many people that played the game who didn't appreciate/understand the sandbox world. Trying to appease everyone is only going to make nobody happy.

7. LordSlack

LordSlack Avatar

I really like the ideas here where you could have recipe quests that encourage exploring, as well as reverse engineering items to learn how to make them. Perhaps you have to destroy a rare item to learn how to make one that is just a fraction less valuable than the original drop. Destroying a rare and expensive item could give you the ability to recreate it, and further drive the price and value of these items up due to the sacrifices to make it. It couldn't be Quite as good or else you'll just make tons of copies of rare items and rarity would be lost. This also lets certain crafters only able to make certain things and could give people the niche markets they crave.

Great ideas!

8. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

I'd rather not see recipes tradable. Everyone should learn them on their own.

I'm pushing for the design to encourage players to differentiate their characters. If there is some work involved, the recipes I choose to work on will be different from yours. As we develop, we will begin to look similar. This is where I would consider adding more recipes, and removing some. The last bit is hard to defend, but it would encourage people to continually advance their skills. The alternative would be gear inflation (obsoleting older recipes) which I think is more harmful.

9. rschultzy80

rschultzy80 Avatar

@JOn "I?d rather not see recipes tradable. Everyone should learn them on their own."

I disagree especially if the recipes will be difficult to obtain, it wouldn't make sense for some alchemists to be out there fighting epic mobs all day, crafters should be able to "share" or teach each other at least the "recipe" with each other.

10. Ickthmus

Ickthmus Avatar

I like OP's ideas of crafting and exploration. I'd like to think of it as a traveling tinker, going from town to town peddling their wares and trading for information and exotic items.

11. Margard

Margard Avatar

What I'm really going here is for an adventure - the recipe aspect to me is an incentive - and something that I think the RP community may like (but I'm not really sure)

I'm not a big fan of raiding for rare recipe drops - I like raids - just not for recipes / or waiting for that elite mob to spawn - the game becomes wait for the spawn, and it's just another grind : I don't mind rare recipes to exist - or that they eviscerate the recipe I would gain from this(or these) journey(s) in terms of stats - once a product is made

I'm not looking for a walk in the park - if you want me to pass through a PvP or throw an elite mob in my way by all means, send me to a dungeon ON THE WAY to the sage (master crafter etc) - send me on a riddle quest - again I'm looking for an adventure and my reward will be knowledge.

- I doubt that these recipes would unbalance the economy (but I'm not a game designer). These recipes are modifications to existing recipes - and with minimal but noticeable improvements or just cosmetic changes (possibly both)

- If the NPC stopped passing on this knowledge after some time - the only means for people to get the recipe would be to find someone who went on the journey (I think this adds to the richness of the world and makes it feel more alive)

- AND the recipe that is past from player to player - would be better than an entry level crafter but inferior to the journeyed craftsmen/craftswoman

- I would enjoy this primarily because - it would get me to engage the world in a manner that is different than - cat mouse PvP - group PvP - or resource gatherer (but I do plan on inserting myself in all these forms of gameplay)

12. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

I don't have anything creative to add to the ideas here but I have to say that I'm liking what Margard is proposing!

13. Margard

Margard Avatar

EDIT - I also want to add that I do play LOTRO - I really liked the first years; when you had to work for things, group to progress the story, solve certain riddles, traverse the world to get to the door of an instant - crowd source for answers etc - which is part of the reason why I'm so interested in this game (in addition to loving Ultima as a kid) - I'm well aware that this sounds like their initial crafters quests, which they did away with in recent times - that's not what I'm looking for (in my mind that was just an attempt to slow down crafters from leveling quickly/ and a gate from using expert tier crafting tables - a time sink)

14. Minoc

Minoc Avatar

Very good ideas.

Exploring is my favourite part to games, and I like to explore to find things. E.g. reagents, and crafting components, etc...

If that could also include recipes or parts of recipes I would explore even more :)

Sharing the found recipes does promote character interaction and would also be another avenue to make some gold or trade for other items.

Keep up the good ideas and this game will be more awesome than I can imagine. :)

15. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

16. KernelPanic

KernelPanic Avatar

I agree with Jonathon.Doran: they should not be tradable. If you want to complete your book you should work for it. A lot of work. I really like what Margard suggest: explore the world to bump into NPC's which learn you new secrets.

I also would like to see very rare drops from normal monsters which will keep you busy for hours and hours until you finally get that one recipe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.