I'm feeling a bit in a mid-range rut

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nelzie, Aug 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I am not complaining that it could take me a very long time to advance. If anyone has acquired that idea via this thread... I apologize.

I just want the grind to be "hidden" by having fun, variety with some repeatable things and stuff that just "hides" the grind by being fun to do.

mass and Nog like this.
  2. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

I saw you said one of your goals was to be a crafter AND that you wanted to extend your group activity.

Unfortunately these goals will have to be followed separately, if you want to level crafting efficiently.

This is because, short of wasting huge amounts of resources, you build your producer XP pool from gathering. Unlike adventure XP, producer XP from gathering does not scale with grouping. Meaning the amount of producer XP you can acquire in an hour solo is MUCH greater than you can in a group.

Spung

3. eli

eli Avatar

The thing is, if you find stuff that "hides the grind", it will be for 25-50% of the reward of UT.. so you'll spend 2-4x as much time "hidden" grinding, and your brain will soon make the connection that you're just wasting time grinding inefficiently.

The fundamental solution is rewards balanced by difficulty, and it's inhibited by trying to make every aspect of the game balanced for level 10 and level 130.

There's always been a "shortcut" and there will always be, even if today's version gets nerfed.

it will always be a grind game until you can't repeat the same content for the same reward, IMO. It just becomes painfully, unavoidably obvious when something like CP or UT shows it to an extreme degree.

4. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

This is why I often split my time between just hunting mobs, hoping for yellow supply bags and pooling up XP, while collecting every node of everything that I see the whole time, from animal hides to regents and everything in between...

Then, I sometimes JUST go foraging for Gold and Silver. I still have nowhere near enough materials... but I am around 94? in Blacksmithing these days and I can consistently craft a +12 Bladed weapon, which is nice...

5. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I really don't mind, now approaching level 80 and having the first episode main quest completed, taking things really slow. It's the monotony that's more killer than the journey.

I'd prefer more "Scenery" and "stops" on this journey than an endless tunnel that repeats itself so much that I can autopilot my way through the tunnel.

6. eli

eli Avatar

at 80 i had fun trying to solo the ghost corpion and grunwald dragon, but it was for negative reward, and once i had succeeded there was no point to trying again, since largely it came down to RNG.

I think the dozens empty zones across novia have scenery, but it is their lack of realistic reward that keeps you from appreciating them.

sieges are a good challenge at 80 as well.

Nelzie and Paulie Walnuts like this.
  7. mass

mass Avatar

Totally agree. Need to be able to advance effectively with a variety of options. Having a few 'most efficient' (or more accurately 'only feasible') avenues will always get us stuck in a rut.

Nelzie likes this.
  8. eli

eli Avatar

From a level 80's perspective, I agree that seems obvious... but take a step back and see that a level 80's "variety" of "feasible"options is a level 120's OP farm buffet.

It is an unavoidable dilemma for as long as reward ignores adventure level and repetition.

Consider that UT was likely intended to be exactly what you guys are asking for, but the fundamental math turned it into the opposite.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  9. Floors

Floors Avatar

You can't just only do UT all the time tho, you get so sick of it. It is the only place that gives any kind of worthwhile XP at higher levels, but you know it's going to burn a bunch of people out on their GM train to nowheresville.

"Finally got my 921st GM!!!! When is restart !" -- overheard

gtesser likes this.
  10. Micmatty

Micmatty Avatar

I don't know if this belongs here but instead of making a new thread figured I post this here.

Me and my brother have gone to every tier scene in the game and from our conclusion there is WAY to many t1-4 zones, some t5 zones, and a severe lack of t6-10 zones etc..

As being a new player of 4 months what I have noticed when leveling is that I only needed to touch a couple of these t1-4 zones before they were no longer useful to me god like 80% of them I didn't even know existed until
    last night when me and my brother went exploring.

So what I think they need to do is update a lot of these t1-4 zones to be higher and another thing that bothered us is not so much the grind but looking at the same map lay outs over and over again but with slightly different mob types.

and I agree with Lord Trady who wants to keep doing UT over and over again, I want dungeons ranging from many different adventure levels ( so low end people can have fun cause I know I wanted to dungeon when I was low ) and not just more higher end, Awesome puzzles that are not only like t1-4 areas, Champion spawns like UO where you kill waves of mobs and then a huge boss shows up etc...

would like to add too that I am currently in my 80's

MFWalter likes this.
  11. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I don't even care to deeply about "Getting all the GMs"... I only have one right now. Blades. (I've been playing since persistence and I know this probably just shocked the hell out of at least some of you... I average... maybe 6 to 10 hours a week of play.)

My second one? It will probably be the base Blacksmith skill. Probably.

Again, I'm on the sloooooow road and I'm completely okay with that. I just want things to do that do not feel monotonous.

12. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Avatar

Nothing wrong with a slow pace. Better than burning out IMO.

Ataniiq and Jaesun like this.
  13. Floors

Floors Avatar

It's better to burn out... than it is to rust !

MFWalter likes this.
  14. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

I am sick of Upper Tears. Too bad there aren't more groups to go kill dragons phoenixes or daemons anymore, just UT groups. I can't wait for the fishing update.

Nelzie likes this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

But rust is excellent!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.