I'm now an Expert on...Dying!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Josh Randall, Sep 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

I easily die dozens of times a day.

An interesting aspect is I notice when I slither (is that the proper term for ghost walking? I don't know) up to an Ankh, sometimes I have a wait penalty and sometimes I don't.

Is there some kind of algo that calculates when this happens? AIRI, if I repeatedly die within a given amount of time I get the penalty but that is not what I am noticing.

Example: I died 4 times in a row recently in a very short time - 1st rez was relatively quick but not instant, 2nd and 3rd had a wait penalty but the 4th was instant.

Perhaps the game felt sorry for me dying so often so quick? LOL

Perhaps we should add #of deaths to the leaderboards? It would most likely be the only thing I would "lead" in this game :confused:

2. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Every time you die, there will be a delay added up to you. It should display under your health bar on the upper left on how long you need to wait. I think the max is 2 min of waiting. This debuff itself has a separate timer on when it expires.

Bom, Josh Randall, Time Lord and 3 others like this.
  3. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

The timer starts when you die so if you have a longer walk to the ankh there will be less of a wait to Rez at the ankh. but the time from death to Rez should increase at each death.

Bom, Josh Randall and Time Lord like this.
  4. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Sometimes if i am in an area and dont want to run to the ankh i just wait it out and come back. Although its half or less health and mana I still come back fire up a few heals and continue. One time i died so many times it was faster this way than waiting for the ankh. Just depends on location and patience i guess. LOL

5. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Waiting for the Rez instead of running to the ankh will also give you a death penalty for a few minutes of lowered stats.

Bom, Tahru and Time Lord like this.
  6. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

Josh, feel free to look me up for a party sometime. I make a terrific pocket healer! And if for some reason I can't keep you up.... I have rez :)

7. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

@Josh Randall We can group together some time, if you want. Just whisper me in-game. :)

Time Lord and Josh Randall like this.
  8. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Don't feel too bad... if there was a GM for dying, it'd be my first real achievement. :D

Time Lord and Josh Randall like this.
  9. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

Thanks @Audacity - I doubt you'd have difficulty keeping my up since I'm only lvl 25 LOL. But I may just take you up on that :)

Thanks @Ao Soliwilos for the offier. Be careful though, I may just take you up on that :)

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

@Josh Randall

If it makes you feel better, I'm writing up a Flash Quest that promotes dying gloriously at odd angles. (Think really high fall from a cliff sorta)

We're onto something with dying, so let's continue on that path! *grins

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  11. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Too bad our ghost don't somehow level up. I'd be a GM of haunting ankhs!

Josh Randall and Time Lord like this.
  12. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

LMAO - so every time I run off the cliff and die from some Large Spider chasing me it may get me XP? LOL, count me in!

Pikegirl and Time Lord like this.
  13. Bom

Bom Avatar

Is there any durability or experience loss difference between using an Ankh, waiting for auto-res, getting a player res, or leaving the scene?

Audacity and Time Lord like this.
  14. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

Great question! I'd love to know the answer too. I've often wondered if it's worth the reagents to rez if the ankh is nearby.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

It's been my experience that there is no xp loss from dying - so don't give them any ideas - I hate xp loss!

Aside from the reagents, afaik, there is no difference - I know when I die and there is an ankh near by, I don't accept a rez since I usually run off before the rez is cast anyway - it's my default movement...

Die, run to ankh, return, die, run to ankh, return, rinse and repeat

I have that down pretty good now :rolleyes:

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

From my understanding
    XP / Durabilty no impact from death or Rez.

Player Rez = not full health when you are Rez'd depending on the skill level of the caster. No death penalty. But helps your healer raise Rez'ing for when your fighting without an ankh nearby. And no wait to Rez just when he can caste it.

Leaving Scene/Waiting for Auto Rez = Full health/Focus instantly on Rez, death Penalty for 2 Minutes which lowers all stats. Restart scene where you came in.

Ankh Rez = Full Health/Focus instantly on Rez, No Death Penalty on Stats. Rez at Ankh not scene entrance. Waiting period before the Ankh will bring you back to life.

17. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

If you are being resurrected by a player, it does not matter if your ghost is far away, you will spawn alive again by the one casting the spell. If the Ankh is far away, it could be a good idea to accept the spell-resurrection. :)

Bom, Josh Randall and Time Lord like this.
  18. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

The resurrection spell is just good for resurrecting a player on the spot rather than waiting for them to catch up again from wherever the ankh is. It could also be good in a group situation against a tough boss. If one of your party members goes down, you can attempt to rez them while your allies keep the boss' attention. It does have a very long cast time, and I'm not sure if it will give you healer aggro like actively healing can.

I'd highly suggest you work on not dying as frequently though since the death penalty on your skills (and therefore XP pool) may become rather harsh in upcoming releases. You won't want your skills decaying all the time once they're at higher levels where they cost tens of thousands of XP per level.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

@Josh Randall those times it doesn't make you wait to rez at the anhk, it just took you longer to get to the anhk. There's always a delay that begins at the time of death.

20. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

LOL! ;) Almost had me, mod!

I think they are fixing decay on death this thursday, so watch out! I have no idea how much that will affect any of us, but expect a hit to your xp if you die, or your skills, depending on what you have them set at! I think I'll be building a large pool of xp up, then set everything to Maintain and go die - see what my xp drain on death is... but that doesn't account for decay accrual.. ooo I'm worried of a VERY buggy decay system incoming.. :O Should be interesting, prepare and brace for it.

Key thing to remember, do not die at all after Thursday's patch until you understand what's gonna happen!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.