Implementation of no node respawn in SPO

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mass, Nov 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

Given the amount of silver required by blacksmithing (for example), this simply won't work as described. As part of an experiment, I've been keeping track of the masterworkings I've done over the past week and I have used 4460 silver ore over that period. That doesn't even take into account the iron to make the items I've been masterworking. Without some fairly drastic changes to resource costs, making it significantly more difficult for me(and others) to mine ore will make leveling crafting basically impossible.

2. RadioMan

RadioMan Avatar

Crafting, MW, Enchant consume an immense amount of resources and gathering said resources is already very time consuming, and by current implementation works best as a solo activity. Intended or not, the more players in a zone the slower the resource nodes re-spawn. This phenomenon has been observed and documented by many, many people. Even pets/elementals effect it.

My fear is they will leave the code controlling re-spawn functionality as is, and just turn off re-spawn for SP and FP. This will be terrible. As the zones currently barely support a single person gathering.

I know myself, I will just invest in an added account or two and swap between in FP letting the zone reset. That added work, for reliable node availability will be 1000% better than the frustration of fighting others for a harvest node.

Can MP only resources work? Sure. But it has to be dynamic based on the number of folks in the zone. Dynamic in the positive way, not the way it works today. If you have 10 people actively harvesting, there needs to be ample materials to keep them whacking away. Add more critters guarding, and increase their re spawn too to help balance the risk vs reward.

My wife and I already tag-team in some zones. She kills stuff and I harvest. For us, it is a win-win.

3. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Resources need to be made personal/shared so it isn't always a competition against each other for who can harvest the fastest.

4. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

The only reason for playing SPO should be you just don't want to see/interact with other players. It shouldn't feel like there is a clear and undeniable advantage in a PvE setting.

I refuse to use SPO personally just because I don't like switching (and I forget to switch back the couple times I did. And also because I am not that worried about getting an edge on my gathering or mob grinding, I like seeing people in the world and meeting them.

But they're kinda trying to fix it by giving the potential advantage to MPO. Though I suppose it would just leave them both feeling less desirable. It would make more sense to make MPO feel just as good as SPO than try to essentially nerf SPO to be less desirable. That is obviously just leaving a bad taste in people's mouth. People tend to hate losing anything.

5. Womby

Womby Avatar

I can understand resource nodes not respawning when not in multiplayer. Plants and trees don't grow that fast, and mined ore doesn't suddenly reappear. However, I see nothing wrong in respawning mobs. It is understandable that reinforcements/curious predators would turn up, attracted by the commotion. Please don't take those away.

6. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

I find the planned "experimental" changes to SPO etc quite bad and it was surprising to read about it.
    Like has been said before over the years, I really think gathering-nodes should be handled like they are in Guild Wars 2, instanced, so everyone can gather from the same item, that could bring many into MPO if lag etc is resolved.
    The only difference between the online modes ought to be creature spawn rate.
    And I am not a supporter of bonuses just for being in MPO or PVP.

7. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Plants and trees don't grow that fast and ore nodes don't reappear. It also doesn't take multiple trees to make 1 bow an hundreds of cotton bushes to make 1 pair of gloves. If you are going to the real world for justification of crappy mechanic choices, the recipes need to be adjusted accordingly to reflect that same mentality. Also, having mobs come quicker just helps leather farmers (and XP grinders, but that's irrelevant to the node aspect) while hurting every other industry.

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Womby and mass like this.
  8. Womby

Womby Avatar

I didn't ask for mobs to come quicker, I merely would like their current respawn rate to remain unchanged and identical across multiplayer, friends only and single player online. Your comments regarding recipes are valid, but that's not something that I expressed an opinion on. That's a whole other topic.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  9. brhanson2

brhanson2 Avatar

I have to agree with you. At least i will save pledge money for future episodes.

10. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

sounds like a good change in theory.

want to explore the different scenes to see what they hold and any secrets that might lurk within or do some quest sounds like spo is good.

want to farm millions of xp seems you have to compete in mpo.

want to make a lot of gold to buy that new shiny seems like you need to compete in mpo.

want large stacks of materails so you can sell or make your own equipment sounds like you need to compete in mpo.

economics is competive and making anyone that wants to compete being funneled into mpo like this sounds like a good idea.

rather than just afking in a scene while mobs/ nodes respawn all day as i work lol this would make gathering be an active cycle rather than a passive one.

this has a chance to get the crafting economy in line along with the changes to the max dura repair?(not sure this was implemented yet or will (mia for month)) along with further tuning of yeilds from gathering and item materials.

time will tell but sounds good :)

not a fan of the mpo pvp xp... multiplayer online player vs player experience bonus... creates a large gap between what a single person can do vs a group/guild over the course of time.

i am a solo player and this creates a skill advancement obstacle that i can only overcome by grouping with... shudders* others ...

11. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Can we have something like daily respawning? Multiayer gathering is just plain obnoxious. The rocks are literally iron ores or not its bad enough we're restricted to harvesting specific nodes instead of strip mining the mountainside.

If you want to maintain a level of scarcity find a different way to accomplish this.

If you want me to explore different zones for my mining make the nodes client-side and have them respawn once each irl day. This encourages exploration and promotes scarcity. This way you can actually create a hard limit on daily resource gathering.

12. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

I didn't get to the original thread quick enough. But this change was enough that it sapped any desire I had to log in before even being implemented. If this goes in and sticks I'm done. Flat done.

The scenes simply aren't set up to support groups of players hunting and there aren't enough of them that are viable to rotate between.

Kirran likes this.
  13. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

They mentioned in missed questions from the Telethon that the plan is to add more options for mining to mitigate this problem. That's a vague non-answer, but at least this isn't intended as final design.

14. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

I don't care about mining they also said it had to do with mob spawns.

15. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I was running with a team of eight in Crag Foothills and a group of four was also in the area. They got nothing and had to leave, we ran right over them, choo choo. That's the reality of this change, larger groups will plow over smaller ones driving them into less optimal scenes.

16. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Why would anyone want to discourage being able to play the game the way they want to, especially if Portalarium has to do more Kickstarters for subsequent episodes?

17. mass

mass Avatar

What's funny is I'm actually more concerned about wood than ore. Wood is already a painful grind with respawns. Could be just me though.

18. Womby

Womby Avatar

I have more interest in this change than any that came before it. And not in a good way.

Kirran and moko like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.