In few words...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jordan Joestar, Apr 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jordan Joestar

Jordan Joestar Avatar

Hello! :D
    I didn't play SotA very much, because I'm waiting for the final release. However, the game seems interesting and I've already made some friends.
    Now, I'm a moderator of a Steam group with 3647 followers and I want to write a short review of SotA, but at the moment I'm not an expert, so, could you help me and write, in few words, a review of SotA?
    I really hope that may help to find other players. :D

Thanks!

2. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I would say something along the line of being part of the one of a kind game development. Experience the changes in game as month goes by and such.

For salty or sweet experience, they are doing something that give people unique experience, I would say.

Time Lord and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Review the single player part of the game and compare it to other single player RPGs ;)

Time Lord and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  4. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

If the goal is to attract people to try the game, wait until this August before doing the assessment lol.

5. Gix

Gix Avatar

If you have a lot of followers, then maybe that's because they want your word; not ours.

With that said:
    It's currently a glorified chatbox featuring emotes, instruments, doll houses and community events (which is what keeps this game remotely entertaining at the moment). Aside from a few experimental quests, there's hardly any content.

I'm not here for what's currently in the game, but what's in the horizon. I'd say it's too early for a review.

Chatele, KuBaTRiZeS, argyle and 3 others like this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Our SOTA~:D
    Currently it's not a complete game yet, it only look like one from what our developers have allowed us to see of it... ;)
    Our creators are very clear about this... o_O
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Moiseyev Trueden and Leelu like this.
  7. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Might want to wait for the wipe that is happening this week which is bringing on R29.

I'd agree with Gix that they probably want to hear from you. The rest of his post is a landmine of personal opinion.

Play around with Combat, Crafting, Housing, the Overworld Map, Player Events, and Exploration. Takes some notes as you go through the month. Questing and NPC interaction are the slowest things to develop to date.

Watch a few of the Portalarium YouTube Release Post-Mortems. Aim for the sober ones!

8. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

There are sober ones? I'm truly shocked by that. 8^p

Leelu, Chatele, Ice Queen and 2 others like this.
  9. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

If a bit of an outline helps, in as few words as possible:
    Shroud of the Avatar is a fantasy roleplaying game from the team that created the Ultima series and Ultima Online. It is not a rebranding of either, but combines the powerful story-driven questing of Ultima and the sandbox open world experience of Ultima Online.
    Five episodes are planned, at approximately yearly intervals, with progressive expansion of the game world.
    The developers work closely with and respond to feedback from the community. Many features and items are in the game because of suggestions and/or contribution from the community. It is an outstanding example of co-development.
    There is a strong social element; the community uses tools created by the developers to create many amazing things and events. Sometimes the developers are playing "catchup" - creating items specifically to meet community aspirations.
    As the game is crowd funded, contributions are invited in the form of pledges. A basic "pledge" of $45 gets you into the game. Higher value pledges are "rewarded" by various pieces of digital fluff - nice in themselves but not essential to enjoy the game.
    It can be played as a standalone offline game, or online in three separate modes - solo player, friends only or multiplayer.
    The game is still in Early Access mode (following from pre-alpha). To accommodate continued development and structural changes required, ALL data is wiped every three months. This means character development and everything else has to start again from scratch.
    From 28 July, the game will become persistent. The basic architecture will be complete and wipes will no longer be necessary. Character development, housing etc will be permanent.
    The game will not however be considered finished at this stage. Monthly additions of content and refinement will continue indefinitely. An official launch of Episode 1 is postulated to occur around the end of the year.
    Players are always welcome. The experience of playing a game under development varies with your viewpoint. It can be intensely enjoyable (you see and can influence the development, and get an idea of the game before launch) or intensely frustrating (main story line not yet present, much content bugged or still incomplete).

10. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Cool. I actually thought of using @Asclepius to summon you but apparently our psychic connection works.

Leelu, Acred, Time Lord and 1 other person like this.
  11. Gix

Gix Avatar

Isn't that true for everyone? ;)

12. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Totally. You were having an extra crusty moment tho imho ;)

Leelu, Gix, Jarl Atogrim and 2 others like this.
  13. Gix

Gix Avatar

Could be. Using straight-forward dialogue to describe what you see (in a particular game) can sound very mean-spirited and harsh... but in the long run I feel it's beneficial and it clearly paints a picture of what (in my mind, obviously) is missing.

A more friendly way or wording it would be : I'm enjoying what I'm seeing hoping that it'll get better, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone in this state.

14. Gregoire Visaard

Gregoire Visaard Avatar

Would recommend Gix's comment about doing your own research as well.... That is if your looking to write something that has a ring of truth and sincerity to it with your own personnel style. Otherwise you may come across like Herb in WKRP Cincinnati working the late night news report just prior to taking a vacation (who wants to watch a old rerun). Personally I don't care about Steam as it seems to not be very objective and this OP at least partially explains why I feel that way. ... But to each his own!

SOTA is a work of art! Right now we are all standing behind the painting while the artist is painting away...someday soon we will get the enjoyment of walking around to the front and enjoying the finished work right along side the artist as they behold their greatest work for the first time. Don't think I will ever get another chance like this in my lifetime! Don't want to miss it...wait for it......wait for it......wait fo..

peaCe

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.