Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Info Needed]Launcher sometimes kills Cinnamon

Discussion in 'Release 39 Dev+ Bug Forum' started by Wintermute of CoF, Feb 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Sometimes when I start the launcher it causes my desktop environment (Cinnamon) to crash. I've never noticed a pattern before, everything just disappeared, but after I recently upgraded I found all the windows survived in fallback mode, the interesting thing was that the launcher window appeared to be at least four times larger than my actual monitor (which is 1080p). This leads me into thinking that, under some circumstances, the launcher is setting an impossible window size and that is what kills my DE.

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4) System RAM: 32100
    GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2 GPU RAM: 6144
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Linux.64.453.Date.02.10.17

2. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Thanks. Forwarded for review 14/2/2017

3. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Is this a 100% reproduction with the cinnamon desktop environment? Any kind of reproduction you can provide us would help immensely.

Thank you.

4. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

No, it's an occasional thing. This particular time it happened when I tried to immediately restart after crashing with issue 41301. In the past what I've had to do is kill Cinnamon from a different TTY and restart everything, this is the first time I've actually had a usable desktop in fallback mode (i.e. Cinnamon restarts without OpenGL acceleration) after the launcher crash.

I did have a similar issue a while back where exiting the game killed Cinnamon, but that also happened with several other Unity games. Turning off window effects solved that problem.

It does seem to be a lot more common after crashes after updates to the launcher so it's possible it's something obscure like a memory corruption or bad driver state. If 41301 is still happening in your testing builds then a route to reproduction would be to repeatedly trigger the crash then restart the launcher.

5. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

It happened again today. Booted up my PC, fired up the launcher and it crashed Cinnamon. The launcher window was the correct height but it was massively wide. Although I clicked on the 'Restart Cinnamon' option a few times, Cinnamon did not successfully restart until I manually ended the launcher process.

6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

that may be related to the game app constantly unmaximizing itself for me, although that has a much less final result. i wonder if a devilspie rule would bypass the problem, if the fix itself isn't quick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.