Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Info Needed]OS X client - scene entry crash, beachball of death is BACK.

Discussion in 'Release 37 Dev+ Bug Forum' started by Widsith [MGT], Dec 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

OS X QA patch level 431
    Dying at 92% loaded entering Midmaer Passage
    Repeated twice, had to force quit both times, with app unresponsive / spinning beachball.
    I can hear in-scene sounds (torch crackle) but there is no graphic and no UI.

@Attenwood
    Will ETA additional results:

Novia - died at 92%, unresponsive, force quit

2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I just now tested on my OSX machine for both scenes, and loaded in fine, without issue.

3. Attenwood

If you continue to observe these loading problems, our first suggestion is to wait. Wait a long time. 10 minutes if necessary.

If that does not clear up your client, perhaps a full reinstall is in order.

But if you truly continue to see this issue occur, we'll need to take a look at your output logs.

On mac, this should be found in /users/portalarium/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

This log file refreshes itself whenever the client is restarted. Seeingthe log right after an issue occurs is the best way for us to identify issues, if any.

Thanks.

4. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

@Attenwood I just repeated the crash on Novia load at 92%. It's basically stalled with beach ball spinning, using about 6% CPU, unresponsive to process monitor or to force quit. Looks just like before the server reset, but worse - can't even get into Novia. It's been sitting there for 5+ minutes.

I was just in game on the production server half an hour ago, so it's not a network issue here or to your servers.

I also noted VERY long pauses at 82% trying to load into Midmaer the first time and at 74% the first time into Novia, FWIW.

5. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

@Attenwood Finally loaded in after 10 or minutes, right on top of your avatar on overworld outside Spectral Foothills, not where I was before (Midmaer Passage via Kiln). Did you fiddle something from your end?

Entered Solace Bridge with no problems...

I am heading to where the problem occurred the first time.

Back to Novia no problem...
    Eastreach Gap no problems....
    Back to Novia no problem...
    Into Kiln no problem...
    Into Kiln Cistern OK...
    And back into Midmaer Passage.
    Now going to shut down SotA and try to restart here...
    AND... made it back OK. What ever it was did not repeat...

I'm assuming some sort of state corruption on either the client or your dB, since it appears to have been fixed by your 'port' of my avatar...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  6. Attenwood

I think the easy answer here is that I'm a wizard, and by virtue of being observed by QA, the problem resolved itself. ;)

But seriously, please keep us updated on the problem, and send us logs if you continue to see it occur.

Alley Oop likes this.
  7. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

@Attenwood Being a superannuated coder myself, I understand Heisenberg principle as applied to bugs.

And that said, it's back. :( I'm sitting here looking at a spinning beachball at 92% loaded into Crypt of the Avatar. Will watch for at least 10 minutes. Same symptoms as before - client unresponsive, burning 6% or so of CPU, spinning beachball, can hear SFX for the scene, but see only loading splash screen, hints and progress indicator. No UI.

ETA: SCENE LOADED AFTER 6 MINUTES! (Though this is ridiculous for 'optimized'!) If this is still there at release, you're going to get a lot of bug reports...

I looked for the path you gave above, and there is no such on my machine either absolute or user relative. Perhaps @BurningToad can help, since he walked me through it last time there was an OS X specific crash situation.

8. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

@Attenwood Just chatted with a guildmate who is experiencing similar problems on Win 10, he will post his own report.

ETA: His resolved to being local net problems.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  9. Attenwood

My apologies. What you are looking for ought to be sota_log.txt or some form within your game directory.

10. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

@Attenwood This is back with Patch 522 and 523, even worse. It's hanging the client at 98% trying to get into Owl's Head. I let it spin the beachball for 30 minutes. Shown as unresponsive by Activity Monitor and Force Quit. I looked for the file you mention above and cannot find it, only the chat log, which simply shows and message about entering Owl's Head and then nothing. Could someone who does the OS X build tell me what to look for as far as a Unity log? @Chris

This is also happened on R522 yesterday, also while entering OH, I killed it after 15 minutes. FWIW, a guildmate saw me come in game on his chat log, so it got that far before going into the weeds.

It also takes about 10 minutes to get into the first scene after startup. This is pretty ridiculous for a 'performance improvement'. Can we have R36 back?

11. Attenwood

This is not an issue we are observing internally. Our performance optimizations appear to be visible across all of our clients when reviewed internally. Our metrics logging for performance shows this as the case as well. We're going to need more information to look into your individual case. If possible, we would like your full system specs, and as indicated above, the sota_log.txt file that should be created for you and refreshed on each client load.

If you're using the patcher you should find sota_log.txt in ~/Library/Logs/Unity
    If you're using Steam, it should be a Player.log under ~/Library/Logs/Unity

You can send these directly to rromero@portalarium.com.

We hope to review your case to understand the cause for your difficulties as quickly as possible. Thank you.

Rhys

12. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

@Attenwood @Chris Reproduced this, same symptoms entering OH. Sent Unity log to Attenwood via e-mail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.