Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Release 20 Feedback' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Aug 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Still at level 6 so I haven't done too much yet but here goes..

First.. towns.. totally awesome to see them come in. It would have been nice though if all of the owner data had been done before the weekend so we all could test lot placement (and I would have a place to 'live').

Combat changes.. need work.. but that's nothing new to anyone. Right now it feels little awkward to me. Range differences seem weird. I killed a bear earlier but seemed I had to get close enough for a bear hug to actually hit it.

I've heard others complain about how tough it is at low levels now and I gotta say.. ouch.. but those grey wolves seem to bite pretty hard. And here I am in my royal founder's plate.. which I might add.. really doesn't seem to offer much protection at all. I realize this is starter gear but it should at least be a little more viable at level 5.

I like the new power-up bar for free attacks though.

Eastreach Gate.. nice for now. It feels a little weird being able to sneak through at level 5 without any difficulty.. it's nice but it leaves me with the feeling that the control point is more or less.. pointless. How does it control anything if a level 5 can get through without taking a single hit?

I know there's supposed to be more reward later on but it makes me sad to think the main incentive of taking a control point is so that other players can avoid being sucked into it.

So the overland boats to and from the Vale are no longer there. We much either 1: Use a rift from Solace Bridge to Owl's Head.. a rift which eventually won't be there.. or 2: Go through Ardoris to the Kingsport docks.

Now that I've set my video settings to "fastest" I can finally get through Ardoris but otherwise it's always been a major pain in the rump and I can't help but wonder what great purpose there is for not having ship access on the map if you don't want to go through either town?

I am normally not bothered by travel and I often scratch my head at those who just want to teleport everywhere without having to walk 10 feet.. but 2 extra transitions and running through 2 towns (yes I know the Ardoris gondolas go to the docks) seems a bit much.

Deliverence, Budner and Elhaym like this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Random Encounters

I do appreciate the attempt at variety but I get the feeling most players just as soon they be left out entirely until they're ready to show on the overland map.. My first random encounter so far.. wolves.. how is that any different from before?

My next encounter was a merchant on the side of the road. Interesting.. kinda cool.. kinda.. not very exciting, Liked the horse although that too needed a little work.. muzzle was a little wide and nostrils too small by comparison.. ah but I'm nitpicking a bit there. anyway. The merchant didn't sell anything I couldn't get someplace else.. and being level 5 at the time I really couldn't afford anything anyway.

Bandits? Well it's a step up for skeletons but not offering much in the way of variety. I did however discover two of them guarding a chest.. with one.. yes one.. and only one spider silk. Why bandits are guarding a lone chest along the road is quite beyond me. Still.. functionality first right? At the moment it hardly seems worth all the effort for 1 spider silk. This encounter did however highlight for me the difference in range. Those bandits using a tiny dagger hitting me from a few paces off while I have to practically body slam them to hit them with my cutlass.

It's a step in the right direction but.. just a baby step. The variety isn't really there yet to be any less annoying that before. They still need more work. There's a certain novelty in finding nothing but cows and a couple of herding dogs but when you're trying to get from point A to point B.. the novelty will wear off pretty quickly and we'll find we're no closer to interesting encounters than we were before. Like encounters appearing on the overland map.. random encounters should have been left off until they were more fully fleshed out.

Keeping working on it guys.. I know you'll get there.

Deliverence, Budner and Elhaym like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.