Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Instant Travel With Player Owned House Boats

Discussion in 'Release 15 Feedback' started by TheMadHermit, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Would it not simply be a lot easier to set up temporary boat travel the way they have it right now? Code is already in place. All they have to do is set up the transitions.

Using the actual house boats is simply not a good option for reasons already stated, but existing boats.. no one would have a problem with and you get the same end result.

2. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I think this should be a game function where the devs can set/unset the stationary boats depending on the story line. Making this a function where the players can charge a fee for transportation won't be popular with the masses.

Some would call it "pay to win" as a player is getting the benefits of making money off of their house giving them ad advantage over others. We have had 1,000 postings already where someone got something and the community called foul and/or "pay to win" many, many times because they did not.

Unfortunately, that is what happens. :(

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

One problem I see with instant boat travel once they release ships is the fact you can't take your boat back... it is a one way trip because you don't have a house boat on the other side. So if they ever make these house boats and galleons able to travel the open sea they need to have them actually go to sea. same with other boats that are in the game.

As an added pleasure it would be nice to actually go out to deep waters far off from land similar to how @majoria70 described enjoying the open waters. Why have a boat if we cannot go for a pleasure cruise for no other reason than to just cruise and maybe even fish a bit. I spent countless hours sailing around fishing while moving.

Not sure how they could do it. Maybe they could have a world seafarers map that shows fast travel between land masses. Although the ocean is one of those places nobody would have a fit if every hex looks similar. (unless there is an island it should be all water so we should be able to go out to sea and allowed to enter any hex to fish or sail around).

CONTIGUOUS INSTANCES:
    Maybe seafaring in SotA could also be one of those things where the hexes are all contiguous. Since all the hexes are virtually the exact same scene there might not be as much load time going from hex to hex. If they maxed out the squarefootage of the instance then we should be able to sail for quite a while before hitting the next instance. There could still be random encounters, but maybe they could be based on some other kind of system where the pirates could be roaming around the ocean, maybe pirates can even encounter one another and fight each other and you can finish off the rest of them, or if you're unlucky you can encounter several roaming piarates and they all compete over killing and looting you. So roaming pirates that hang out in certain areas are cool, but also ones that can travel across the ocean instances would be cool. Then people flagged for PvP should also be able to encounter one another.

To be honest I personally think the contiguous ocean hexes would be the most fun for sailing around. Having fun sailing on an ocean you can see sounds great. Although a combination of overland and contiguous hexes might be just as good seeing the overland map is as good as a true scene... or is a true scene.

CONTIGUOUS OVERLAND OCEAN MAP:
    Although a combination of the ocean hexes and the miniature boat might be a great option too. What if once we exit to the ocean map we see a miniature boat, but we still see endless ocean and can change the view so we can see the sunset on the water etc etc. Even be able to fish etc off the boat in the ocean map. That way we can sail off, fish, and just about everything from our overland boat. Maybe even firing cannons from miniboat to enemy priates on the overland ocean map, but once enemy boats collide we enter an ocean instance where we can maneuver our ships and try to board the other ship or ram them etc. One more thought about the overland ocean map experience is that we could still run into other players occasionally and we should be able to hail them without entering a hex like we do on the current overland. Seems like we could have a whole lot more ocean with the overland ocean map, and it goes along with the game. Either way sounds good to me.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

um.. except none of the existing boats are set up as one way.. so I really don't see where you're coming up with that as a problem. Unless you're referring to the house boat idea in which case I don't really see why you're responding by quoting me..

5. Floors

Floors Avatar

I think it's a good idea.

Another good idea is to quit talkin about future episodes completely after almost 1.5 years of PRE ALPHA.

My 2 cents.

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Do you think they should have called it pre pre pre pre alpha, pre pre pre alpha, pre pre alpha, and now pre-alpha, or are we still in pre pre alpha?
    :rolleyes:

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

There is a problem with this idea. In theory it sounds great, moveable houses ease of travel etc.

Now, lets look at the economy they want to set up...regional and all.

A person with a house boat decides to make a bunch of items in one city where iron is cheap, clicks on his boat and instant travels to an area where his items are worth a lot more. Instant loop hole in crafting and generating income.

How you balance the ability for them to move to any port town they want and do this I'm not sure.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  8. Floors

Floors Avatar

Its been 2 years since kickstarter and its still not even in alpha yet.

:rolleyes:

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.