Interactive Instruments & Tunes ? IDEA!! -- (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by RelExpo, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

So we've seen that a new stretch goal has been added... Interactive Musical Instruments. How awesome is this?!

Sure, we saw the piano get played in the demo, but nothing else. Imagine you take up the barding profession and are able to reproduce the tune "Stones" on your lute and you visit the cities, playing that awesome tune.

What if it was possible to record and "memorize" a tune by writing the chords down on sheet music? Then, after practicing and practicing on your lute, you finally get it down, you "memorize" it and now when you select your lute, there is an option to play your memorized tune!!

What if we took it a little further and said you could even SELL your sheet music? w0ot!

Of course, the option to be able to turn music being played by friends/non friends would be an excellent addition to prevent spamming of music.

What if you were in a lost tomb, or deep in cavern and happened to come across ancient sheet music that was very rare, kind of like in Skyrim finding books throughout the world...

2. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Nice! LOTRO did a great job with this, and the sheet music idea is also great, RelExpo! I'd love to see the music all over the place.

DavenRock likes this.
  3. Owain

Owain Avatar

But NO BAGPIPES. A fundamental medieval instrument. Who approved that?

4. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

DavenRock likes this.
  5. nonobadkitty

nonobadkitty Avatar

I love the idea of sheet music where one player can sell their songs to another, in game, rather than relying on out of game "scripts" to exchange music like in LOTRO.

6. gingerale

gingerale Avatar

All I want is to see a tour of three or four players going to various theatres in different cities playing Music with Rocks In.

7. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

I like this idea RealExpo. Yes, Lotro implemented this very well and i have seen players which assembled around great musician. This gives the world live.

8. frimsah

frimsah Avatar

I would love to see in-game instruments playable with USB MIDI controllers.

9. JordanRagus

JordanRagus Avatar

I'm a musician irl, so I can totally dig this idea! I was also hoping maybe buffs could be attached to instruments and music. Something as simple as "Song of Strength, Life, Death, etc." would be really cool for characters with high experience with instruments. ORRRR, perhaps crafting instruments (and songs as you suggest) you can add your own buffs to the instruments/songs. It would be like crafting spells in Oblivion! (I'm sad that they removed that in Skyrim).

10. rschultzy80

rschultzy80 Avatar

Would great as a bard/provoker too as you would be able to change up your little tunes. Interesting idea.

11. Bzus

Bzus Design Lord SOTA Developer

We are always looking for ways to fictionalize game features to enrich the world. Sheet music as a method to exchange songs is a great example of this. Some details to iron out but great stuff.

In regards to MIDI controllers to play instruments, we have discussed this as a possible programming task we could look to the community for help with. Write a Unity MIDI plugin that we could use for the game. It is hard for us to spend development time on this feature right now but it would work well as a compartmentalized external task.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  12. Chirp

Chirp Avatar

I'd add to wish of frimsah, with the MIDI integration. That makes the instruments really playable, as opposed to clumsily clicking around with the mouse :) So I hope you get some input there.

The sheet music idea is excellent, also. It may even be a kind of alternative, if MIDI is not feasible.

DavenRock likes this.
  13. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

The use of .abc files is very cool. Since it has already been done in Lotro, i wonder if it is feasible in sota? I would be extremely excited to have musical instrumentation of this kind coming to SotA.

Fireangel and Chaox like this.
  14. Chaox

Chaox Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I am always pushing for the .ABC file implementation myself - I am a huge fan of the implementation in LOTRO, and also the huge amount of ready-made content that would be available if we did this.

15. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

A few people have mentioned LotR and I wasn't sure what you were talking about, as I didn't make it that far into the game. But here's a link to it and this would be great to see in SotA for sure! As I mentioned before, there could be puzzles that need a tune played to progress that might be learned from a bard, or heard being whistled or even a book or sheet music.

DavenRock and Chaox like this.
  16. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

please do not just have them the say way as UO please for the love of all the UO gods of old please let them accually serve a purpose and I don't just mean for peacekeeping\provocation but for the skill training side of things, like each instrument takes various amounts of skill to train in and your ability to play the instrument gets visually better as you practice and skill up and also please let there be a selection of music we learn and not just the same old tune played by the instruments

Thanks,
    Matheryn

Arkhan likes this.
  17. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

So now can we get something like Eurovision?
    Players represent different areas of the game and compete against each other while letting the other players vote for who is the best? :)

18. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

This is Stones from Ultima played in Lord of the Rings Online, but played from an .abc file. Lotro has a setup where the player types "/music" to queue the instrument, and the player can use ctrl or shift to change octaves while pressing numbers 1-9 for notes. Conversely, the .abc file is played after typing "/music" by "/play stones.abc" There is also an option to sync instruments if players want to play together which is shown in this video. I am certain that the SotA team could easily put their own flavor and genius into this. Also, .abc files are universal and are used in midi players and in many other conversion type players. I have seen some people on the internet that create their own scores though extensive knowledge of how to create the .abc files to play their music. I would love to have Every SotA song, even old Ultima songs, like New Magincia town music, or Moonglow music, as an .abc so that I can play a song while in the tavern.

FireLotus could have her own NPC while she's not online, that plays her favorite playlist of .abc songs, for instance, if she's not too busy of course :)

Miracle Dragon and RelExpo like this.
  19. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

Exactly.

I don't want to hear failed lute and tambourine use in town all day while someone AFK macros their skills.

I want to sit by a fountain in town and bust out a lute and play a song and tell someone about my adventures.

My MIDI guitar better work with this stuff.

20. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

I'm so glad you posted this. Hadn't seen it in action but the ability to "link" instruments is phenomenal and would be epic on a grand scale (bands, orchestras, etc). I kind of hope there will be more than that one animation of playing the instrument but other than that, this type of system would be such a great addition to SotA.

DavenRock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.