Intro and Question on Pre-Release Play

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Furious Fist, Jan 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Furious Fist

Furious Fist Avatar

Greetings, everyone. I wanted to quickly say hello, as I just created my account and am looking forward to playing SotA.

My question is related to pre-release play. I have never participated in Alpha/Beta tests before and plan to do so with this game. Will anything I "achieve" in the game before release stay with me upon the actual release date? I assume any characters we create in Alpha/Beta testing will be deleted when the game goes live.

On that note, will anything I acquire stay with my character upon release (equipment, housing decorations, etc)?

I plan to make a pledge to get a housing plot, so I want to know what to expect as the game transitions from alpha to beta to live play.

Thanks in advance.

Lord Baldrith, Leos and Spoon like this.
  2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Everything will be wiped clean. However you can keep the Grand Tour rewards.

Welcome!

3. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

To avoid confusion...any pledge rewards are tied to your account. So if you pledge those rewards will stay with your account for the game release. Also the Grand Tour items (currently hats) are also tied to your account so those will also stay.
    Items you get during pre-alpha, alpha and beta will be wiped...things like tables and chairs that you craft, weps and armor that you loot/find/craft etc. will be wiped.

smack, Lord Baldrith and Furious Fist like this.
  4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Welcome to the community.

There will be multiple smaller wipes along the way.
    Then there will be a final big wipe of everything before the release.

For instance between release 12 and 13 (current) they changed things in skill trees and guild functionality. So we got to keep our possessions and our XP but skill point allocation was gone so everyone needed to respec their skills.

The next big wipe will be when we get banks and pledge awards to test.

But like @Tahru said, if you do the Grand Tour quest in the game you get a reward which is written to your account which will give you a rare item which will come back in the release.

You can find this info in the Release Instructions for each new release.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/release-13-instructions.18607/

If you are in my time zone then feel free to use the F key, and add Spoon as a friend to see if I'm online when you are.
    If so I could show you the ropes on how things work so far in the game and give you some tips.

Happy hunting

Spoon, mayor of Lux Sanctuary

5. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Welcome to the community!

in addition to what has been said so far, pledge rewards aren't tied to what you see in game yet. That might happen with next month's release of maybe R15. The first few levels are rough right now, so it is hard to get started. The game doesn't have a great tutorial yet and it isn't level gated. The mainland area isn't accessible and most of the content/quest/etc isn't visible yet.

I have a FAQ here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/unofficial-faq.9626/
    A guild list here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/updated-guild-list.7254/
    Mad Hermit has great videos here: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMadHermitGaming

6. Furious Fist

Furious Fist Avatar

Thanks for the detailed replies. Makes a lot more sense, and now I know not to spend too much time on any one thing since it will all start from scratch anyway.

Lord Baldrith and Tahru like this.
  7. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

That's why a lot of people aren't playing much in the pre-alphas right now, but you can still have fun. There are a lot of community events in game.

Lord Baldrith, Furious Fist and Tahru like this.
  8. Furious Fist

Furious Fist Avatar

No doubt. I'm looking forward to my first pre-release play as an opportunity to provide feedback to the developers. I've never done that before and am excited to be a part of the process.

smack, Lord Baldrith and Duke Raas like this.
  9. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Be honest with your criticism for the betterment of the game. At this stage there is plenty to get frustrated with as it is far from complete. Please try to consider the glass as half full.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.