Introducing Concepts to New Players at a Slower Pace

Discussion in 'New Player Experience Feedback' started by Crazy Phil, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

I had some thoughts about the New Player Experience that I wanted to share. :)

Currently:
    The Oracle asks you questions. It tells you where you should go next and what class you should be... then gives you the option to fight destiny and switch (perhaps a pre-release only thing?)... you enter a tutorial scene with a bar full of random glyphs... Woah woah woah! Slow down there. ;)

There's a lot being thrown at the Player at this point, and choosing a class doesn't really have to be a part of this just yet...

Suggestion:
    The Oracle asks you questions. It tells you where you are going next. That's it. Don't describe the "class" yet. Don't give the option to choose a different location (after release). Your destiny is your destiny.

When you enter the tutorial location that was chosen, we know there is a weapon rack nearby. This is a much better location to begin introducing and choosing your "class" for combat, but do we really need all of the glyphs just yet? How about we just practice Free Attack (default) here? If each scene was originally created to play better with the designated weapon type, the NPC you meet could recommend that weapon.

When you leave the area and you make your way to the Adventurer Trainer for the first time... they say something like, "It's a treacherous world out there. You'll need to be able to defend yourself. I'll teach you a bit for free, but it'll cost you for each lesson after that."

Here is where you would select Swordsman, Archer, or Mage. Doing so populates your hotbar like before. With time, more selections can be added to this list without creating brand new tutorial scenes.

This opens up an interesting situation for the "I only want to craft" folks. They can go straight to the Crafting Trainer, and the trainer would say something like, "So, you want to be a productive member of our society, Avatar? Well then, let me teach you a thing or two to get you started, but after that it'll cost ya!" Same as before, select your "class" from the list to get a head start down that tree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.