Is Farming A Skill?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Sir Tim, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

I would like the Team to answer this if possible.

When I heard you were placing farming into the game I was extremely excited. There would finally be a game that had a passive skill I could enjoy doing and participate in the game economy.

Recently, shortly after this post, ,asking for some branches in the Farming umbrella, I saw someone indicate anyone could do it and that it would not be a skill. Would not be a skill?!?!

Is this true? I really want to ‘dig’ into the whole farming as a profession and be a provider of rice, and grains. I want to participate in the economy and be known as one of the highest quality rice and grains providers.

I was dreaming of field of grain and pumpkins to tend to. Cooks coming to me for my quality goods because when they use them as ingredients it increase whatever stat adjustments eating that food brings.

If farming is not a skill, I was sorely mistaken and would probably spend my time better providing feedback on why it should be a skill. If everyone can farm and it takes no skill… it’s just a hobby at that point. That like black smithing not requiring any skill. Would take the fun out of being a smithy.

I realize table top RP is different, and I also realize more table top RP’ers didn’t RP the same way as my group did(apparently we did it vastly different and more indepth), BUT you had a profession before the adventure started. You would be a farmer, a scholar, a blacksmith, or something before the adventure started.

Then part of your story was how you were pulled, pushed, and walked into the adventure. Then after the adventure you would retire a town hero going back to the work you came from.

I beg you, please make it a skill. Make this the start of an amazing thing for this game. The first passive profession of future professions to come in the game. I don’t just want to RP in combat… I want to RP after the adventure is over. I want to RP inbetween quests.

On my knees begging please.

2. KrojinKin

KrojinKin Avatar

Well if your right then the interview Lord Blackthorn presented was a complete lie, and I Don't believe he's a liar. He said something along the line of "If you want to be a baker then you can be a Baker." And you would enjoy yourself and not be forced in to a combat situation. The games not supposed to be Combat oriented instaid a crafter can go untouched if he or she decided so. Or so he has said. So Unless he has backed down from that then I'm disapointed.

3. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Farming will probably not be a skill. But that will most likely be by design, just as Combat is not a skill. Combat stuff is usually broken up into more accurate and useful subgroups, for example in Ultima Online you had Swordsmanship and Mace skills.

Just like Combat, there should be many diverse aspects to Farming and I really hope they work that as best as they can. I'd love to see some really interesting things in Farming, as well as any other part of the game which we can interact with of course! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.