Is SoTA playable on a Surface 3?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bayard2, Jan 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bayard2

Bayard2 Avatar

I have a game machine at home but was contemplating picking up a Surface 3 as a tablet, but was wondering if on low settings if SoTA is playable on it? I saw a video of someone playing wow on it, like I said at low settings. I figure if I was out somewhere and bored I could always play...I know the full sized Surface Pro 3 and 4 will play it but the Surface 3 is a nice size to throw in my backpack and head out for the day.

thanks

2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Surface is not a gaming setup. Even if you manage to pull it off, the gaming experience will most likely be horrible with lackluster graphics and lagged movement. I have not tested this on the device, so I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Ice Queen likes this.
  3. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I have Shroud loaded on a Surface Pro 3 and not great frame rates but definitely playable. If you are a student, professor, or can obtain a .EDU you can get a great deal on a 128 GB Surface Pro 3. The price isn't much more than the Surface 3 but the Pro is far superior. Just a thought and the size, weight difference is negligible. I even load Shroud on an 256 GB internal Micro SD to save space on the 128 GB SSD.

4EverLost likes this.
  4. Bayard2

Bayard2 Avatar

Oh, I realize it won't be playing at awesome levels, but am curious. I have an old surface pro 2 and it plays fine for what it is, but the sp2 has an i5 chip vs atom. Yeah I was considering a sp4 but the smaller size of the s3 makes it really portable.

5. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Wow atom? That is a chip that Intel targeted for phones. It flopped in that market though because the ARM chips were just as powerful with 1/8th the power consumption. Surprised they are still selling those.

Ice Queen likes this.
  6. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I'm betting it could be played on the new Surface Book with an NVIDIA GPU. But I'd give that another generation or two before jumping on that band wagon and let the new NVIDIA Pascal chips launch first. Scene loading times likely would be slow today.

7. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Performance is all about the video card, and you still need 8GB of RAM.

I have it working quite well on an LGA1150 Celeron with a GTX 750Ti, so you don't need an i7, but I'm not sure if an Atom is a great idea. But I mostly play on a 3-year-old Latitude laptop with an anemic video card, so I know about the low end of "playable".

If someone says SP3 is playable, then I guess it is. But the current game implementation has an event loop that is limited by frame rate, so doing stuff (like crafting) that needs a lot of dragging or double-clicking could be painful.

8. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I bought a Service Pro 3 and returned it as Microsoft LIES about it can replace your PC. It cannot play games on it. The hardware is crap and overheating if you try to push it.

I know, I know it is really a tablet in sheep clothing.

I was happy to return it and get a REAL PC instead!

Buyer beware of the crap Microsoft makes now.

agra and Tahru like this.
  9. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

It's playable on surface pro 2 at lowest graphic at 1600x 900

Duke Olahorand likes this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The peak computational power of the GPU in the Surface 3 clocks in at 153.6 ~ 179.2 gigaflops. For comparison, the GPU in my phone hits 388.8~408 gigaflops.

[edit] The phone is a OnePlus 2 BTW.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    Tahru likes this.
  11. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I've had very good luck with the Surface 3 Pro. Most definitely replaced my iPad. For gaming, many laptops won't even be sufficient. This really isn't a fair comparison. For most tasks the Surface Pro can most certainly replace your PC. The graphic resolution could have been an issue with gaming, try lowering to what most laptops run at 1080p.

I would never say the Surface will replace a true gaming PC but, no and I mean NO laptop can replace a real PC for gaming.

deryk likes this.
  12. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I am going to have to call you on this one. I had a very expensive monster gaming tower, but a personal situation added an Alienware to my line up. Once I no longer needed the laptop, I sold the tower and put the laptop where the tower was. I do use a separate monitor and keyboard.

13. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I think it depends upon your definition of a gaming PC. I run three (30) inch Dell monitors. Show me a gaming laptop that can push those graphics. Resolution per monitor is 2560x1600.

Some real insane gamers are pushing (3) 4k monitors.

14. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

My laptop can easily at ultimate settings. I run a 32" 4k setup.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  15. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Nothing gained disputing this, but I can guarantee no laptop on the market today will push the FPS I require for my primary gaming rig. I also can upgrade pieces with ease, especially GPUs, memory, SSD.

16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Indeed, I did not say it was the greatest machine ever and I did not say that it was a good value. But it is a gaming laptop. I was just calling the comment about a laptop cannot be used for serious gaming. My tower had a titan black in it.

17. John_Doe

John_Doe Avatar

Put that on your lap and you will roast your chestnuts.

Tahru likes this.
  18. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

True that! I often refer to it as the fire breathing dragon. However, I have to give the alienware folks some credit, the laptop itself remains very cool. It is nothing even close to what a macbook does because they focus the heat out the back. Dollar for dollar it is a horrible deal. But it does pay some back in saved electricity. My tower was liquid cooled with five fans. The tower felt like a classic car, incredibly inefficient, noisy but powerful. The laptop can hardly be called a laptop at 10lbs.

19. John_Doe

John_Doe Avatar

Sorry for the minor hijack but how long could you game on batteries alone?

20. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Not long. Depends on the game, I have done SOTA for over an hour. At this point, i just have it sitting where my tower was plugged in.

John_Doe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.