Is XP gained from a mob a set number?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Lanfire, Jan 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lanfire

Lanfire Avatar

If I go into a 5 skull zone, all skills set to not gain, and kill a thug with 505 HP - Is the XP I gain a fixed number?
    If not, what governs amount of xp gained?
    Adventurer level, pool, etc?

Say I get 100 xp from killin one with all skills locked, would another player with different adv level/poolsize also get 100 xp from killing the same mob?

Lyndoman likes this.
  2. Jamist

Jamist Avatar

Yes, its a fixed number for anyone, experience totals have no effect. That number differs however if your in a Party, Multi Player, flagged PVP.

Mac2 and Lyndoman like this.
  3. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Good question.

I for one would love to know how it's divided up in a party (my understanding is that it was an equal division, but then a bonus was added to the party members, making it a bit more than, for example, than just equally splitting the 100xp you mention - I could be wrong).

Additionally, I'd love to know if it is true (it feels like an Urban Legend) that the higher your XP pool, the more you would get into one innate skill if you were leveling it. I have heard this is because it's based on a percentage of your total XP pool. Confirmation?

Finally, what I would really like to get a handle on is how points are divided if you have more than one skill leveling up. Say it's two RED skills (damage) - to me I would think it's evenly split. But then you take a defensive skill (blue), resistance skill (grey) and an innate, like Train Intelligence. How would the XP be split between those?

All interesting questions.

Lyndoman likes this.
  4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Yes EVRR mob has a fixed number for exp eared, it is only affected by ; Party (number inparty), PvP Flagged, In Multi Player. Shard falls are currently broken as they do no increase Exp because they force you into to PvP and Multi but still give less Exp.

5. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Avatar

This was also told to me, that if you have a million XP you learn faster.
    I have not been able to find any official information regarding this.

To get to GM takes 1.2 million xp and it may be that if you save this amount you can do it without having to waste time arsing around, constantly building it back up. Do it in one go is you have enough Dr Pepper.

6. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

There is a spreadsheet on skill numbers. Yes, some skills take 1.2 million to GM, but be aware that innate skills (Train Int, Str, Dex) take 12 million XP. Some other skills require 4 million XP.

Lyndoman likes this.
  7. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Avatar

8. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Thanks, @Weins201, without the topic police where would we be? Oh, I cannot waste my time searching for all the times you've likely de-railed topics - but I'd bet all my possessions in game there are a few.

Bear in mind this is tangential, and yes I piggybacked. Sorry, I only started around R30, so maybe I never caught any of those threads before or after. My mistake. Please don't flog me (hint: if you do you'd regret it).

9. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Which can be all solved through direct observation. I recommend this path.

MrBlight likes this.
  10. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

11. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Useful, but very out of date. Thanks for pointing this out though. :)

discipleofweb likes this.
  12. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I'll be more helpful.

Lock all skills.
    Look at your total exp.
    Kill a mob in single player. Check exp.
    Kill the same mob in multiplayer. Check exp.
    Kill the same mob adding one party member at a time till max party. Check exp
    Repeat in PvP if you wish. Check exp.

XP transfer is on a sliding scale. Look at your xp. Unlock a skill. Use it once. Check exp and see how much it used. Relock that skill and leave it locked. Go get another 250000 exp. Unlock that skill and use it once. Compare.

Unlock one skill. Use it once. Check exp. Unlock a linked innate. Use it once. Check exp. Unlock both at the same time and use. Check exp. Compare with the first two numbers.

Many of us have done this numerous times which is where exp urban legends are born from.

13. Lanfire

Lanfire Avatar

Thanks for the comprehensive feedback everyone :)

14. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

SOTA has a "use base" skill system that is not like most games you have played before. For those who are new here and don't quite understand how XP is accumulated and "spent" to train up skills, I'll try to explain it a bit:

Earning XP Basics -
    1. First off, XP is gained from killing monsters or completing quests or by gathering/crafting items. The "earned" XP will go into a pool with which you draw from to level up your individual skills.
    2. It's important to note that there are 2 different skill pools that operate independently from each other. One is the Adventure XP Pool (for your combat skills) and the other is the Producer Pool (for all of your gathering and crafting skills).
    3. Earning XP to add to your pools is a set base amount per source, but there are factors that can change the actual amount you earn.
    3a. Playing in multiplayer mode gives a 10% bonus over playing in single player or friends-only modes.
    3b. Playing in a group will give you a bonus % to each kill that gets added per player in the group... however, the total XP earned per kill is then divided equally amongst everyone in the group (within 40 meters). Solo gives 100%, grouping with another player gives a 40% bonus, and each additional player adds another 15% bonus. So, alone is 100%, 2 players in group is 140% (divide by 2 equals an actual 70% each), 5 players is 185% (divided by 5 equals an actual 37% each), and a full 8-person group is 230% (divide by 8 equals an actual 29% each). As you can see, the more players in the group, the greater the total per mob, but the lesser each player gets per kill... but more players = easier/faster killing and more XP per hour overall.
    3c. Playing while flagged as PVP gives an additional 10% bonus (but since PVP flag forces you into MP mode, you also get the MP bonus so a total of 20% bonus per kill).
    3d. Crafting an item for the first time gives you a bonus to producer xp (I believe it's a flat 1k XP?) After that 1st time craft, additional crafting of the same item gives a flat amount (refined items and components give around 20 each whereas a finished product gives more based on difficulty of item).
    3e. Crafting an "exceptional item" while using a crafting station will give you a 500% bonus to producer XP.
    3f. I'm not positive, but I believe getting a "Critical Success" on a gathering attempt will also give you a 500% Producer XP bonus.
    3g. Producer XP pool gains are not affected by MP/PVP/Grouping bonuses.

Spending XP Basics -
    1. In order to increase a skill's level, you need to: a) Have/purchase that skill from a trainer, b) Have that skilled set to "Training" (green up arrow indicator on the "K" skills panel), c) have accumulated XP in the relevant pool, and d) either use that skill directly or (in the case of passive skills) use a skill of that same skill tree.
    2. 1st tier skills will need less total XP from your pool to gain levels than the higher (4th and 5th) tier skills. In general, the further you get to the end of a skill branch, the more XP it will take to level them up.
    3. In addition to tier increases, certain innate/passive skills in some trees require the most XP to raise a level and they take about 10x more than a 1st tier basic skill. These would be skills like Train Strength, Train Intelligence, and Train Dexterity.
    4. When a skill is set to "Training", every time you use that skill it will draw from your Adventure Pool or Producer Pool at a percentage based rate... not a fixed amount of points. The larger your pool is, the more points you will put into that skill per use. (Not going to explain this in detail, just search these forums for threads on xp pools and skill points). Bottom line, the system doesn't want you to run out of points completely, and instead it uses up a percentage of the whole amount per use... and the amount taken per use diminishes as your pool gets smaller. To give you an idea... (using made up numbers here to illustrate the concept) if you are spending 10% of your pool of 10,000... you will spend only 1000 XP. But, if you are spending 10% of your pool of 1,000,000... you will spend 100,000 XP. That's a big difference per use! This is why people lock skills while earning XP and then use a gust ball or training dummy to spend their points and skill up. Having a larger pool means you might have to use a skill only 10 times to get a level as opposed to having to click it 100 times.
    5. Take note that the higher you raise a skill, the amount needed to raise it to the next level exponentially increases. There is a hard cap of 200 per skill, although the skill level curve is designed so that there is a "soft cap" where it would be near impossible that you could ever get a skill above around 150 without considerable effort. I'm not saying it can't be done... but the time and effort needed to get the XP pool required for it would be a full time job for a very long time.

*** I'd like to dig a bit deeper into this last one, just to hit home my point.

To give an example, to raise Blade Mastery from level 1-200 will require an accumulated 16,709,249,906 XP (almost 17 BILLION!!!) Now consider how long it takes you to grind up a million XP which seems like a lot to most players except the elite (current control point averages are around 300k-500k per hour with a good group?)

Let's be lenient and say you can get 500k per hour just for perspective. That would still take you 33,418 hours of playing with all skills locked just to save up the XP to put into this one skill and get it to 200. Now consider that there are only 8,760 hours in a whole year... of which you still need to eat/sleep/do some RL human being things... so let's say you can play 12 hours per day, every day because you have nothing else important enough to take you away from SOTA. OK, so now with 12 hours p/day playing at 500k xp per hour (both very unrealistic goals for 99.9% of the player-base... but we're theorizing here)... it will take you 2,785 days (over 7 and a half years!) to earn enough XP to get just 1 skill from 1-200.

So like I said, not totally impossible, but highly unlikely to see anyone with a skill at level 200. Unless future content comes along where you can gain multi-million XP per hour, don't expect to see this happen.

Turock Ockenshire, milspec and Acred like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.