It took me 30 seconds to sign up, it only took me 10 to leave.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChequeDrops, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChequeDrops

ChequeDrops Avatar

I was about ready to drop serious cash in funding this game as I was a diehard UO fan.
    Deck combat? seriously? Absolutely disgusting, a slap to potential right in his face.

Good luck with Yu Gi Oh guys!

2. Amaranthus

Amaranthus Avatar

Many share your concern, so don't give up yet. Myself, I'll see how it works in alpha and make an opinion then. The developers will definitely listen to feedback here, and if it turns out it makes the game less than it should be for a majority of players, they will drop it.

It's hard to be innovative with MMORPGs since most has been tried before and many players prefer the traditional. They need some way of sticking out, and this is a try, I guess.

Maka likes this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You would probably do well to actually read about it before making assumptions based on the use of the word "deck". It isn't a card battle game. Do you seriously think the spiritual successor to Ultima would have raised 2 million with Kickstarter if combat was just a card battle?

NRaas, Mishri, Lord Baldrith and 5 others like this.
  4. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I've been PvPing on UO for 15 years and I also share a concern......however because I struggle to visualise how it works doesn't mean I won't give it a chance, it will be different but I am happy to wait until the release in March to give it a go.

If my concerns are founded around certain elements, I expect many others will have the same experience. If it isn't fun, it had already been stated that they will change it.

Maka and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Right I was just going to point that out.. they did state that not only would it be changed but they've always scheduled in that option. So that change would happen before launch.

Keeping in mind that (as I understand it).. the "deck" isn't replacing what you'd normally think of as combat. It is replacing our hotkeys basically. Rather than having a static set of hotkeys for special moves/spells.. we get random options cycled through from a "deck" we build.

Liking the concept to card battle games isn't really fair but the terminology used "cards" and "decks" is perhaps unfortunate.

6. ChequeDrops

ChequeDrops Avatar

Thanks for the replies maybe I was a bit haste with thy tongue.

The combat just needs to have hand eye combat period. Please.

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Heh.. well I can just imagine the state of shock.. card battle what??? huh? um.. NOOOOO.. :)

It will hopefully prove interesting as well as entertaining. If not then I'm sure we'll get something more standard. I've been thinking of it in terms of simulating what comes to mind during the heat of the moment. You fight normally and suddenly a move you've been practicing comes to mind. I think that was general idea behind it.

Lord Baldrith and Maka like this.
  8. Owain

Owain Avatar

I was originally skeptical myself, but I have gotten tired of the typical MMO 3 rows (or more) of hot keys that are mashed in sequence endlessly. I'm willing to see what the new system looks like before I pass final judgement. There is a lot of potential good in SotA (particularly if you are looking for Open PvP) that I am willing to take a chance on the combat interface.

(Open PvP isn't quite a done deal yet, since that is a controversial subject with some, but with the SotA Selective Multiplayer design they've discussed, it should be possible. That's another area were I'm reserving judgement. We'll see how it turns out).

9. ChequeDrops

ChequeDrops Avatar

Combat should be Darkfall 2.0, Mortal Online, and Warband divided by 3.
    I can't believe there is even discussion of it being a themepark. It must be Full PvP No Safe Zone.

I mean....if they just made 2 types of servers, one hardcore server and others be casual. kind of like trammel and fel. Why cant they have there cake and eat it to?

Mod Edited

eon likes this.
  10. Owain

Owain Avatar

Not even sure what that means...
    Portalarium is trying to appeal to a wide audience. If I flag for open PvP, why should I care if someone else doesn't? If it was as you'd say, those people wouldn't buy the game anyway, so I still wouldn't see them, and the game would be less successful without them.
    Selective Multiplayer makes separate servers obsolete.

Mod Edited

Lord Baldrith and OSullivan like this.
  11. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Selective Multiplayer, try thinking of it as 4 servers from Hard core PvP to single player online (in which there are further options to select what type of player you want to play with) & everything in between. So instead of 10 PvP servers from Europe to Japan to Germany To U.S. with 5000 players on each server there is 1 pvp server with 50,000 pvpers on it.

tekkamansoul, Lord Baldrith and Maka like this.
  12. ChequeDrops

ChequeDrops Avatar

How does operating hardcore servers and regular servers separately make anything obsolete exactly? you lost me there.

Lastly, its not about appealing to an audience, it's about creating an awesome game. It really doesn't go past that for me at least. Full Loot, Full PvP, No Safe Zones

#ultimaonlonesuccess

Mod Edited

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You haven't been here for the last 10 months of PvP discussions. :)

What thing you're missing.. Selective Multiplayer.. You obviously will flag yourself for open PvP.. so the server will match you up with other PvPers. If I'm not flagged for PvP there's a good chance you'll never even see me. For all intensive purposes we may as well be on separate servers.. except that you'll still be able to buy from my vendor if I happen to have one. There is no need to run separate servers.

Mod Edited

NRaas and Maka like this.
  14. eon

eon Avatar

If i wanted to play a deck game I would be playing Magic the Gathering, Spectromancer or any of those good card games, maybe adding a card game, chess, dice etc ingame is cool, but keep it something to do at the tavern, I like the traditional hack and slash in my combat THANKS....

15. eon

eon Avatar

Yes? Tricking people to back with fake promises of a "UO/Utilma" succesor and then claiming "HEY GUYS THIS IS NOT GONNA BE A UO CLONE!"

They should have done a vote to the backers if we wanted a "traditional" combat system or a "innovative" one, I assure you most would have voted "traditional". Maybe that happened but I just missed it?

sheetrock1 likes this.
  16. eon

eon Avatar

I expected that too...

Obsolete? Why then does every damn MMO out there have several servers (pvp,pve,rp)? Because it works and its what people want, don't try to reverse the cake ingridients, the old-school cake is what actually people want and I'm sure most people came here to. UO STILL HAS the best mechanics and gameplay of all the MMO's, period...

sheetrock1 likes this.
  17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

At what point does "spiritual successor" mean it must be "just like". There is no fake promise here any more than trying a new combat system mean abandoning the ideals that made Ultima great. Also you should keep mind.. Ultima does not mean exclusively UO but it does include Ultimas I-IX and the Underworld spin-offs. Which I made add.. were about more than combat.

Kaisa, NRaas, Lord Baldrith and 4 others like this.
  18. monxter

monxter Avatar

Yeah the PVP talk has been quite heated during the last 10 months or so and it went too far at times :)

What they're trying to implement is an element of chaos into combat, by making us plan our skill builds a bit differently: how fast is each skill's rotation, how many different skills are active etc... whether we want to"lock" them down and play it safer or go for more unpredictable availability cycle - or try to find some kind of balance.

There are a lot of doubters which I understand and I have my concerns too: will we have to focus on UI too much? We'll see how it works out.
    What if my skills don't proc like I'd like them to? We'll see, at least you won't "freeze" in battle and have something available anyway.
    I think that if you plan your build well, most of the time your skill rotations will go as you'd like them to since it's about probability.
    Besides autoattack has a bigger role in SoTA than in other MMO's, I think :)

Selective multiplayer will enable us to play with players with similar preferences. While there may not be full loot, there's been talk of ransom recently. I kind of like that idea.

I have an idea. Upon entering combat, fighters would gather in a circle and play a game of combat cards, with random decks! Then they'd roll dice and player with the best cards would win.

Maka likes this.
  19. eon

eon Avatar

OK also theres nothing innovative in this project so far:

-Chat system: used by EQ on its first release.

-PVP flag: Used by countless MMO's.

-Instances: Used by countless MMO's.

-Addon store: Used by countless MMO's (SADLY).

-Housing: Used by countless 3D MMO's. Its still funny that I heard people here saying that just UO has housing and that sota will be the first 3D mmo with housing. WHAT? EQ2,EQ,DAOC,AO,etc HAVE... (have you been under a rock all these past years? Or I'm just a nerd? Maybe both..)

-The offline/online multiplayer: Maybe not the best example but Dark Souls "has that", if you are always hollow you will not get invaded and won't be able to coop and therefor play always "offline", but if you have humanity you can coop with others, pvp, get invaded, trade etc... Just add that to a more big mutiplayer scale and less "restrictive" coop and BOOM INNOVATION!

Most people here haven't played more than 2-3 mmo's and multiplayer rpg's it seem.

The only innovative? Maybe the combat system that I'm sure some game must have.

So maybe the innovation is just mixing up a lot of non-innovative things?

Its hard to make something new/innovative because 99% of the things have already been tested and created. If what we see after lets say 20 years its what most people play its because its what it has survived and therefor what most people like.

Caliya and sheetrock1 like this.
  20. eon

eon Avatar

Yeah what made UO/ultima good was also the lore I must agree on that, seems like they used the "spiritual successor" because it can have endless meanings...

For me spiritual succesor mean "we cannot make UO2 cause EA has the rights and we want to make another good MMO that will last 10+ years JUST LIKE UO."

The OP has a valid point to me and I would encourage him not to back and maybe just wait to the final release if he still has hopes on this. Its the only way to skip disappointment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.