Jumping, climbing, swiming

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Valice Belgraham, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valice Belgraham

Valice Belgraham Avatar

I know jumping and climbing can get out of hand if not developed/programmed correctly, but have there been any talks about implementing such skills to allow certain resource gathering or combat maneuvers, such as mining rare material on a mountain, or gathering certain herbals/animals from high places in a tree?

Swimming for water travel, or water combat, such as fighting in a shallow creak or stream and not loosing ones footing, or swimming across a river due to a bridge being broken or occupied by an enemy force that you want to sneak around.

I know there have been talks about how detailed combat can be with having readied skills/tactics before a battle starts, and believe that same level of detail could be implemented into a swimming, climbing, and jumping skill in regards to what the player currently has equipped/load.

These skills can be implemented in a basic rule set that would not implement an over the top amount of detail to be used in game to make them work. Such as having knee high, waist high, head high, or cant touch the bottom level of water that requires a certain skill level to transverse properly or transverse while wearing "x gear"

Would really like to see more water ways on land, since in the real world we generally tend to build establishments where there is a fresh source of water, and interacting with that water is crucial as well.

2. SophosTheWise

SophosTheWise Avatar

On the topic of climbing: Make a grab button happen, like in Shadow of the Colossus or Dragon's Dogma. That really changed a lot in terms of gameplay in my opinion!

3. Ac_

Ac_ Avatar

Climbing gets really tricky!
    <i>What are you wearing?
    What is the weather like? Is everything rain-soaked sludge?
    Rope &amp; pitons?
    Cat-Claws?
    Training?</i>
    ...and then there's falling-damage.

I've been a D&amp;D player since 1978, and I'll tell you: AD&amp;D 1st Edition had some very expansive variables. Only Iron Crown surpassed then in turning a game into "Tax Return Instructions". (I.C.E. did great variable stats research, if they were making a computer game, but they were no place for table-top! LOL)

That said, I'd love to see this game take on "altitude" in the encounter-level! The ability to think around obstacles in three dimensions <i>(as opposed to the proverbial "un-passable terrain" plot-device/cop-out)</i> would do well to challenge player &amp; programmer alike, as both must "rise to the challenge".
    "If you see something in the world that looks like it should be interactive, you can interact with it."...or should be, even if it's a big damned rock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.