Just how does fizzle work and is calculated?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by zedin, Oct 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zedin

zedin Avatar

So I was looking at some skills last night to see how much fizzle I would have if I wanted to wear plate and saw something that struck me as odd so tried to dig deeper. My setup was basically put plate armor on myself until the skill I was examining had some fizzle chance then swap cloth legs for some leather 4% fizzle chance legs and see the change in the skills fizzle. What I found was odd. Some skills I noted what I used and other I just looked at tiers. (and higher tiers often untrained)

In Fire 2nd-4th tiers a 4% item made my actual fizzle chance change by 5 (a 1.25x modifier). But 5th tier 4%=4% change for a 1x modifier.

In Earth:
    2nd tier buff at skill 27; a 4% item gave 3% change for 0.75x modifer
    2nd tier obsidion arrow at skill 23; 4% item gave 3.2% change for 0.8x modifier
    2nd tier root skill at 3; 4% item gave only 2% change for a 0.5x modifer
    3rd tier untrained earthquake; 4% item gave 2% change for 0.5x modifier
    4th tier was same at 0.5x modifer

All light was the same across the tiers at 0.8x modifer

Death stunk with 2nd and 3rd tier having a 1.35x modifer (4% item gave 5.4% change)
    4th and 5th tiers were 1.25x modifier

Water was 0.8x modifer on first tier.

I should mention I have just started doing mage skills so I don't really have any passives or attunements. Think fire is at 9 and earth at 12 for attunements. Pretty much 1 or 0 for rest. It was odd that even different skills in the same tier (for earth at least) had different modifiers and it did not really suggest a higher skill level changed the modifier since my least trained one (root with skill 3) had a better modifier then my arrow at skill 23.

Any clue? Does every glyph basically have its own fizzle modifier? So instead of just adding up chances on armor I now have to go glyph by glyph to see?

2. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Yes.

3. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Fire has higher negatives (for use by purer magi)

Earth is more 'armour friendly' due to being strength/mitigation based.

Hadn't tested my main, Death. Tier 4 is strong and certainly prone to big fizzle.

I have noticed that +glyph level decreases fizzle at small regular intervals. Don't think attune does anything but +- dmg (by comparison of caster/target values)

4. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Some skill trees are more forgiving than others. Sun, Earth and Light seem to be the most forgiving, but in full plate you won't have 0% fizzle past the first or second tier even in those trees.

I have a related question, does increasing a skill also decrease fizzle chance? Does a skill with 50 points in it have a lower chance to fizzle than that same skill with 100 points?

5. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

I noticed that while leveling. Didn't take proper notes, but it was like 2% decreases every 10 levels or so.

(could be less, and only triggered with new glyph qty... But I'm sure it was more often than that)

6. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Yup.
    You must mean: Does a skill with 50 points in it have a higher chance to fizzle than that same skill with 100 points?
    Answer: yup! :)

jolanar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.