Kindle my heart's desire

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doctor, Jan 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor

Doctor Avatar

So I recently downloaded Blade of the Avatar and because of my particular preferences, I couldn't quite get used to reading it via PDF file. So I thought "why not link it to my Kindle you silly man". Then I ventured into Googlion Forest to find the answer.

So if any of you are kindle e-book lovers who wish to maybe read BotA on a platform easier on the eyes. Follow these simple steps:

1. Download Blade of the Avatar via the SotA store for $15.

2. Use a converting software (can easily be found on google. I used PDF4kindle site) to change the PDF into a Mobi file.

3. Once that is out of the way, you'll need to make sure your Amazon account is linked correctly in order to be able to send the file to your kindle. The following link was extremely helpful for me (https://askleo.com/how-do-i-get-a-mobi-ebook-onto-my-kindle/)

4. Once you email the file, making sure it's an email that is allowed to send documents to your kindle, it should take a few minutes to update on your kindle.

5. Hopefully it will be displayed on your kindle ready to read. (Do note that on my version the pictures of the beginning of each chapter isn't displayed considering it's the first kindle version. Not sure if that's the case for other updated versions).

All done. I hope it works out well for you too. I posted this because I myself am sensitive to the monitor/laptop lights inducing headaches and figured others might be in a similar situation or simply wanting to read from their kindle.

All the best!

2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

OMG nice!

Doctor likes this.
  3. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

Ooooo I could kiss you for this :)

Doctor likes this.
  4. Greyhaven

Greyhaven Avatar

If you have a recent version of Microsoft Office you can make a near perfect Kindle version complete with the Denis Loubet art and no background image interruptions:

I loaded the PDF into Microsoft Word 2013 for editing. You don't have to delete the background picture on every page as one is used for each chapter. These backgrounds are not "watermarks" but instead appear on the "header & footer" part of the document.

When the PDF is re-saved you can then send it to your Kindle email with the word "convert" as a subject.

(It is listed on the Kindle as a "document" rather than a "book").

Here is the result:

[​IMG]

Obviously, as a bit of reverse engineering is required, all manner of editing possibilities present themselves once you get it in MS Word.

I may have resisted the temptation to do a Find/Replace on "Aren Bennis" with a snappier name of my own (like "Girehan Greyhaven" for example).

Barael, FanofIolo, Doctor and 2 others like this.
  5. Doctor

Doctor Avatar

Aww you're making be blush. -cups his own cheeks before covering his eyes and turns away in embarrassment as he shies away- I'm glad some found it useful.

6. Doctor

Doctor Avatar

Keira OFaolain likes this.
  7. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Process for KOBI Reader

1. Download Blade of the Avatar via the SotA store for $15.

2. Use a converting software (can easily be found on google. I used calibre to change the PDF into a EPUB file.

3. Connect the reader to your computer and copy the EPUB file, or if using Calibre just click the save to device button.

Doctor likes this.
  8. Doctor

Doctor Avatar

Thanks a bunch Tahru for your support in other devices and formats! ;)

Tahru likes this.
  9. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

Thanks for the great info, Tahru & Greyhaven!

Although I'm struggling with PDF → EPUB with pics conversion, I'll share when it looks okay!

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.