Kingdom Heart like combat system

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by HT062870, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HT062870

HT062870 Avatar

http://www.ff-versusxiii.net/images/media/4dc4e547_FFVXIIIGP5.png
    http://andriasang.com/comtqu/nomura_ffxvxiii_famitsu/22y2k.jpg

This game here is using a similar combat engine like Kingdom Hearts not only that it can do wonders for people who want to using magic, a bow, or throw weapons. A type of engine like this could make PVP and PvE a lot of fun. It will be very different than what other rpgs have been doing lately. I really do think this sorta combat fits well with this game. MMORPG combat are rather dull at times imagine playing a thief with this.

2. HT062870

HT062870 Avatar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ7MwTXYLpg

3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

It's certainly fluid and looks pretty, but I have no idea what's really going on. It's all really simulated gameplay...so you don't really know how the camera works, movement, targeting, skills...I assume this is for a console, which has a very different controller.

It seems to work without targets. I think most modern games have gone to less precise targeting systems where you don't really need to specifically target something to swing the sword in front of you. Even WoW had gotten way more AoE friendly than the early days where you'd pull 3 mobs, target 2 to sleep and then target the 3rd to dps while leaving the other's slept.

I like the more first person feeling perspective. But again they are cheating with the camera and it's not designed to be controlled with a mouse so who knows how something like that might look an a PC.

4. HT062870

HT062870 Avatar

This is from a alpha/prototype of the game probably hasn't been even polished yet. Here's a gameplay footage from KH2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Soh_2RYa9OA do get a better idea of the camera and movement. The controls and UI was suited for controllers but something like this can well work for a keyboard and mouse as long as SotA doesn't have any kind of skills that requires many different combination of keys use to execute a move or spell (Ex. Batma Arkham City) .

Either that or they might try something like the Witcher 2 or kinda like Kingdom of Amula with its combat if I'm correct they really want a combat that strays away from traditional RPG like the MMO you normally see. Since the game isn't going to have a massive amount of people all at once this could well work out for PvP. Note if someone wants to use a bow or some type of gun this combat system will work in favor of them being able to aim using such weapons. This could also allow the players being able to jump, dodge, and move around more fluidly. Lets say your play some type of rogue it can work wonders with a skill that teleports him/her to certain locations or executing quick attacks.

SotA seems more third person to me I'm not a big fan of combat mechanics like what Skyrim uses. We aren't going to be bound by classes in this game nor restriction from a traditional MMORPG there definitely room for a combat system that allows a lot of possible option while in combat and uniqueness for different fighting styles.

5. JohnnyStorm

JohnnyStorm Avatar

It depends on how well such a mechanic fits in the game because the combat for FF Versus does in fact look really great. However, it seems more suitable for a controller and their also the fact how combat intensive the game will be. The Witcher is heavy with combat particularly on swords and dodging so they would need a mechanic that will fit well for those who have characters that specialize in certain areas of combat.

The FF versus/Kingdom Heart combat does look like it can work well with magic users and archer. The main concern is how well it transverse on a mouse and keyboard I could see them taking certain elements from the game like the movements. I could see them taking some ideas off it but making it exactly like what you see in the video is debatable because Kingdom Heart/FFXIII versus just seems better playing with a controller.

6. DeathStrokeX

DeathStrokeX Avatar

Interesting I played both and have seen the the some of the Final Fantasy 13 versus footage. Perhaps something like it might be able to work it certainly looks fluid. I'm not quite sure how similar Versus is to Kingdom Hearts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.