Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Known] Lighting on Water

Discussion in 'World Building, Scenes, Environment, & Overworld' started by Mactavish, Sep 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mactavish

Mactavish Avatar

09/28/2017 09:15
    Title: Lighting on Water
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? no
    Details:
    Every Water surface looks like someone is waving a flashlight around randomly, causing the surface of the water to light up. this happens in Scenes AND the Overworld Map
    Steps to Reproduce: look at water
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8) System RAM: 32768
    GPU: AMD Radeon R9 M395X OpenGL Engine GPU RAM: 4096
    SotA.EarlyAccess.LIVE.OSX.64.662.Date.09.27.17
    Area: POT_swamp_metropolis_01_template/Port Phoenix
    Area Display Name: Port Phoenix
    Loc: (157.1, 36.0, 264.7)
    Debug: UE9UX3N3YW1wX21ldHJvcG9saXNfMDFfdGVtcGxhdGV8UG9ydCBQaG9lbml4fCgxNTcuMDg3LCAzNi4wMTMsIDI2NC42Nyl8KC0wLjAxMiwgLTAuNzEsIDAuMDE2LCAwLjcwNCl8MjY5LjQ3MDR8MTB8MTMuMjE0OTM=

2. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

3. Undone

Undone Trap Master Moderator SOTA Developer

@Mactavish are you on "Fastest" graphical setting? Switch to another setting then switch back. This is a really annoying reflection probe issue.

4. Mactavish

Mactavish Avatar

@Undone Nope, I play on Fantastic

5. Undone

Did you change quality settings and change back?

6. Mactavish

Mactavish Avatar

@Undone - The update reset me to fastest. When I realized it, I set my video settings to fantastic, where upon the game told me to logout and log back in to get the settings to take properly. I did as instructed, yet the flashy water still was there,. that is when i bugged it.

Hope this helps.

7. Undone

Hrm. Could you login to the game, then go to your options and switch to a different quality setting, then switch back and see if the issue persists?

8. Mactavish

Mactavish Avatar

@Undone OK. On a hunch, I went thru all the settings. They all seem to work fine. It is only the Combo of Fantastic with Shadow Distance Maximum that I see the error (which is the default Shadow Distance for the Fantastic setting) Leaving the main at Fantastic and changing the Shadow Distance to very high brings back the water looking as it should. (But when you make that Change, it turns the primary setting to Custom) Hope this intel helps.

UPDATE: I teleported into my home town and the water was wonky again until I adjusted the Shadows again, then it snapped to.

UPDATE 2: It only happens when I have the Full Screen Box checked. If I uncheck the box, I can be Fantastic and Maximum Shadow Distance. Rechecking the box and the water stays correct.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  9. Undone

Just did some testing in full screen and noticed it only happened when my settings were above "Good". However, like you said if you modify the shadow distance then it fixes itself. The odd thing is that I went to windowed, then back to full screen and it no longer did it. There's some funky stuff going on with the reflection probe I'll have to chat with @oneandonly about tomorrow.

10. Undone

This might be an AMD + OpenGL specific issue. I tried it on my MBP with an Nvidia card and could not reproduce the problem. We're still not sure of the root cause though. But since we are likely to change water shaders here soon I likely won't dedicate much more time to it.

11. Undone

The other option is to enable metal and it seems to be ok. Start the game via the command line and pass -force-metal like so:
    Note that you may see other graphical anomalies with metal enabled because Unity (and us) have yet to work out all of the kinks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.