Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Known]Mobs are "Cover"ing when there's nothing to cover on...

Discussion in 'Release 39 Dev+ Bug Forum' started by Mishikal, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

In a completely open space, I am routinely seeing "Cover" flash by while attacking mobs. I am not sure what in the world they could be covering behind as there's nothing around to provide cover in the 2 feet separating me from them on flat open spaces. ;)

2. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I'd take a screenshot, but the "Cover" word fades away too quickly :/

3. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Area: Spectral Foothills (Novia_R1_Forest02_SpectralMines_Exterior) Loc: (9.6, 65.9, 100.5) while fighting an obsidian wolf

4. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Area: Spectral Foothills (Novia_R1_Forest02_SpectralMines_Exterior) Loc: (-85.2, 55.4, 85.1) fighting a skeletal mage

5. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Additional information appreciated for us to review further: What weapon are you using against these creatures?

6. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I'm ranged, so pine long bow. ;)

7. Attenwood

After killing very nearly every creature in the scene indicated with a bow from any variety of ranges, I am unable to reproduce the issue as indicated in the report. Enemies seem to respond to cover as we would expect from current setup, which by not being in cover where standing with nothing in-between you.

Does it seem to be 100% of the time it registers as cover when breaking for you?

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think it has to do with slightly uneven terrain.

9. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I finally got some screenshots of the behavior:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I agree... it was able to trigger it most easily with the lich archer on the steps.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

In those screenshots, the lich definitely has partial cover. I was having issues where I was the one with partial cover but my shots were getting the "Cover" message but NPC archer's shots were fully connecting. There were other times where the ground was uneven but we were both in plain sight of each other and my shots were "Cover"ed.

12. Attenwood

In the screenshots, it appears that there is, in fact, partial cover occurring as expected. We'd be interested to know instances where
    1. A is registering as covered while B isn't
    2. A and B are on even ground and Cover is being applied.

13. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

@Attenwood Ok... Well my first two occurrences should not have been seen as covered... It's not easy to trigger, but I do think it's related to uneven ground as @Barugon noted. As an archer, I fail to see how the lich has cover. Over half his body is exposed. :p

14. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

@Attenwood Just got it here, with both the mage and the melee skeletons. With the melee skeleton it happened while it was still laying down before it stood up. With the mage, got it multiple times. Unfortunately it fades so fast it's hard to get the screenshot of it happening. As I noted in the feedback forum, it'd be extremely helpful to have missed "cover" shots logged to the combat window.

Area: Spectral Foothills (Novia_R1_Forest02_SpectralMines_Exterior) Loc: (84.0, 57.4, 94.9)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Attenwood

Note that COVER doesn't actually make your attack miss. It just reduces the damage received, currently. The damage that's reported in your log is reflective of what the damage is with the cover-reduction active. Will look into the case presented above. Thank you.

16. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Ok, good to know. Is it possible then to put (covered) or something in parenthesis so we know which attacks were affected by cover? :)

17. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

@Attenwood Got a covered shot here too: Area: Spectral Foothills (Novia_R1_Forest02_SpectralMines_Exterior) Loc: (68.7, 58.7, 118.7)

[​IMG]

18. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

@Attenwood Happening in Spectral Mines as well, build 451: Area: Spectral Mines (Novia_R1_Forest02_SpectralMines) Loc: (-115.7, -14.6, -124.2)

[​IMG]

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

@Attenwood, these are very similar to the situations that I was getting the cover message and the damage that I was doing was greatly reduced.

20. Attenwood

I observe 2 things from reviewing the instances included in these images.
    1. In the first image,i can't help but notice that there's a stump directly in front of you. That stump is actually a harvest tree node. Harvested trees maintain their tree's colliders despite having been harvested, so by chance if you had that stump between you and the target, it would be considered a covered attack as the view is obstructed by that node, even though you can't see the tree.
    2. At the location you're firing, there is a boulder in front and to the right of you and the mob. Going to this scene and investigating that boulder, we observed some unoptimized colliders jutting out from the left side. If you return there, you will likely find it. An invisible collider that you can jump on directly to the left. Unfortunately, the rays being cast for cover are also hitting that invisible boulder collider and considered it a covered attack between you and the skeleton in the mine.

I have written up a ticket to review the tech in the cover system re. these instances of colliding with invisible geometry that has yet to be optimized.

ID: 41378

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.