Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Known]Nameplate view distance

Discussion in 'Release 42 Bug Forum' started by Chet Lawrence, Jun 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chet Lawrence

Chet Lawrence Avatar

Very new player here, but I may have some possibly useful data to contribute.

I've been grouping up with my husband a lot since we bought the game (during the most recent Telethon). We have been getting separated and losing each other just about everywhere; mostly our butts have been saved because we sit side by side and I can look over at his screen and see where he is on his map, and vice versa.

But today we went to Braemar, and all of a sudden I could see his nametag from waaaay across town, but he still couldn't see mine until we're practically in spitting distance. Hopefully my screenshot here will work.

We had already been in a group for a while (through multiple zones) when this happened. I was group leader, but then after we noticed I could see him from further away, I gave him group leader to see if that would change things. I remained the only person who could see the other's nametag at a great distance, though.

I had just moved Shroud to my SSD earlier today, but I'm not sure that's relevant given details that follow. We still can't see each other on the map, regardless.

[​IMG]

We then went out to the Overworld Map to test things there. I zoned in first (thanks SSD), and then ran a bit north. At this point both of us could see each other's name tags. With him standing on Braemar (247.0, -3.5, 128.1) and me standing on South Valeway (Area: Hidden Vale (OverworldIsland) Loc: (258.2, -4.8, 198.8)) we can both just barely see each other's nametags. If we step further apart, nametags disappear.

We tried zoning into South Valeway, in case it might still be broken in combat areas, but the long view distance persisted there, too, for both of us, as long as we had line of sight to each other.

We then both went back to the Overworld map, everything was still good there. He crashed trying to zone into Braemar, so I waited on the overworld map for him to get back in. He logged back in, we could both see each other on the overworld map at long distance.

Then we both successfully zoned into Braemar, where we both lost the long-distance view of each other. -.- Now we can only see each other if we're practically standing on top of each other.

No idea if this will be any help, but there it is anyway. :)

2. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Name plates at a disatance seemed to break with the R42 release. There are a few reports about it I believe. But it is highly irritating, especially in dungeons when its easy to get separated you look in a room and everyone runs off and you're like wtf where did everyone go..

3. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

@Vilaia Rainsinger
    First off, welcome to the world of New Britannia :D We're glad to have you on board. And thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us.
    To go with what Liz said, yes, we did have some change in behavior with name plates in the release of 42. This was not intended. So please hang in there; we'll make the experience even better for you and your husband. We're investigating this internally. It's not just the distance but sometimes the names not appearing. I think most of us who have been around for awhile are not quite adjusted to this new play style of missing UI info, myself included.

I hope you'll join us in the next telethon, summer part 2!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.