Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Known] Observations on fps vs. house deco

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Widsith [MGT], Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

I've been running the /debug fps counter while looking at the OS X resolution problem. Noticed something while loading in front of my lot at:

Area: Rift's End (POT_island_metropolis_01_template/Rift's End) Loc: (22.2, 89.0, 3.2) DBG: UE9UX2lzbGFuZF9tZXRyb3BvbGlzXzAxX3RlbXBsYXRlfFJpZnQncyBFbmR8KDIyLjIzOCwgODkuMDQ3LCAzLjE3MSl8KDAsIDAuNzA2LCAwLCAwLjcwOSl8NDQ4LjAzMzF8MTguODg1NTZ8Mi41NDIzMDk=

Deco is loading very slowly today - I assume the servers are smoking - but that gave me a chance to look at the fps vs. deco in view as it loaded. I was running at a res above the best for this rig, and was getting an average of 10fps as the lot deco loaded. When the house deco began to load, that dropped in half immediately. By the time it was all loaded, I was down 2/3rd, and shortly after that dropped due to PEACHPIT.

It looks like rendering is making some naive assumptions about what house contents need to be evaluated - very little of my deco is actually visible from the front lot line. Optimization??

2. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

We think a fix was just checked in for this. There is a deco bug that is clearly affecting lot loading. It won't be in the next patch but probably the patch after that.
    Please restart your client and log back in. You may notice SOME improvement from doing that, but clearly it's not the root of the issue.
    @Widsith [MGT]

3. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

@Lexie FWIW, I am now getting better fps in Owl's Head than Rift's End. So 1) the work on big city scenes is paying off (yeah!), but 2) maybe it's time for some love to heavy deco POTs...

4. Mandalar

Mandalar Avatar

12/14/2017 9:25 PM
    Title: Low FPS
    Reproduction Rate: upon login
    Blocker: maybe
    Details: 6.7 FPS on my lot
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8) System RAM: 16300
    GPU: AMD Radeon(TM) R9 270 GPU RAM: 2029
    SotA.EarlyAccess.LIVE.Win.64.710.Date.12.14.17
    Area: POT_island_metropolis_01a_template/Arx Draconis
    Area Display Name: Arx Draconis
    Loc: (188.7, 89.0, -6.2)
    Debug: UE9UX2lzbGFuZF9tZXRyb3BvbGlzXzAxYV90ZW1wbGF0ZXxBcnggRHJhY29uaXN8KDE4OC43MDQsIDg5LjAwMiwgLTYuMjI5KXwoMCwgLTAuMjc4LCAwLCAwLjk2KXwyNzcuNTcwM3w5LjI2NDYyN3wxNC41ODExNQ==

5. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We are aware of a related issue, which should be fixed with this morning's Live build 711. If you could retest once that patch is released and confirm if this issue is still occurring once patched.

6. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

@Attenwood Just retested at same res at same location: Not fixed, maybe even a bit worse. fps oscillating between 12 and 4-5 as POT and lot deco loaded in (very slowly, even more so than yesterday). fps dropped to 3 immediately as house deco started loading, I switched res before the client did a POTPIE.

This is somewhat a worst case test, since Rift's End is heavily populated and deco'ed, and my start location (see OP) is in between my lot and the Evil Eye, which are two of the most densely deco'ed spots in the POT. Nonetheless, the fix does not appear to have done so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.