Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Known] Other players and NPCS not displaying name or health bar.

Discussion in 'Player Characters, Animations, & Emotes' started by Paulie Walnuts, Sep 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Avatar

9/30/2017 1:00 AM
    Title: Other players and NPCS not displaying name or health bar.
    Reproduction Rate: 30%
    Blocker? No
    Details: Party members and NPCs that i'm fighting are not displaying nameplates and health bars. COmpletely random, but makes it hard for healers and gauging enemies.

Steps to Reproduce: Party and fight things.
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz (4) System RAM: 16344
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 GPU RAM: 8119
    SotA.EarlyAccess.LIVE.Win.64.665.Date.09.29.17
    Area: Novia
    Area Display Name: Novia
    Loc: (-473.1, 12.4, -194.5)
    Debug: Tm92aWF8fCgtNDczLjA3NywgMTIuNDI4LCAtMTk0LjUpfCgwLjAwMiwgLTAuODQ2LCAtMC4wMDgsIC0wLjUzMyl8MTQwLjI5NTd8MTYuODA3MDZ8MjA=

Hermetic likes this.
  2. Hermetic

Hermetic Avatar

3. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

I need to know if this is still happening in build 667 or not, please.
    @Paulie Walnuts
    @Hermetic
    This one is tricky because the dev is having a hard time reproing this. Although I understand it is random between NPCs, enemy mobs, and nameplates. If anyone finds a pattern to this seemingly random situation please let us know.

4. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Avatar

@Datendrache you were testing this last night. Do you have any results you can share with Lexie?

5. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Avatar

Still happening in 669.

[​IMG]

6. Datendrache

Datendrache Avatar

@Lexie @Paulie Walnuts

Not too much to add, except that it feels like its associated with loading order.

For example, I see the Banker or Town Crier more frequently without titles than other NPCs. I'd assume they are first or near it in loading order.
    Also, I left the Hidden Vale with Caree Death and Chalidore nameplates visible. They didn't move, but I zoned to Novia, then to Novia Market, back to Novia, and then to the Hidden Vale -- now neither nameplate is visible to me.

-- Engineer

7. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

@Datendrache
    Thank you. I do think it is related on the loading order. This info is now in the ticket. We have a bug open for this: 24424.

Datendrache likes this.
  8. Datendrache

Datendrache Avatar

@Lexie - This part is coder speculation, so slap me with a fish now and move on. :) Otherwise, you can toss this on Chris's desk and he can slap me. :)

I just remembered -- Chris said he was trying to change dynamic to fixed memory to increase loading performance. No idea if this pertains to this part of the code.

Typically, any objects loaded for town content would be done so in a dynamic linked list or tree. Coding dynamic structures usually creates nice typecasting in C# and, albeit slower than allocating a single large block, is typically safer than managing your own memory block.

If these entities are being loaded to a fixed sized memory location, then it could be possible for there to be a buffer overrun from the next memory block(s) allocated in the heap.

Depending on the method of allocation and access of memory, the pointer arithmetic could get fouled up by passing the pointer to the wrong function that also manages an allocated block, or initializing the fixed block twice or more.

There could also be bugs in the algorithm that allocates items in the memory block that causes the list sequence to get fouled up.

Any of those would also show the same behavior as a loading order bug.

Debuggingly,

Engineer

Lexie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.