Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Known] Resist Gear Does Not Apply Correct Damage Mitigation

Discussion in 'Combat, Skills, & Magic' started by Jaanelle DeJure, Apr 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

4/12/2018 1:40 AM
    Title: Air Resist Gear Does Not Apply Correct Mitigation
    Reproduction Rate: ??
    Blocker? no

Details: Because NPCs and PvPers alike who mash air magic skills like lightning, chain, and discharge are super irritating to an earth mage, I decided to create a set of air resistance gear which collectively gives Jaan an air resist rating of 100, with an additional 20 coming from Well Grounded for a total of 120 air resist.

Noticing that this didn't appear to be helping the situation much, I decided to run some tests comparing this air resist gear to Jaan's normal earth attune gear.

Against another player, the average damage of air magic skills was only reduced by 5-8% with 120 air resist as compared to Jaan's typical air resist of 35. Crit chance seemed about the same.

Knowing that this player has a very high air attune, I also compared against a Relic Hunter.

The average Chain Lightning was 20% less with the air resist gear than with the earth attune gear. However, Lightning and Discharge average damage was actually HIGHER in the air resist gear than in the earth attune gear.

This leads me to conclude that the magic resistance ratings on gear are not being correctly applied to damage formulas. @Chris

Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8) System RAM: 16274
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 GPU RAM: 6052
    SotA.Win.64.760.Date.04.04.18
    Area: Novia_R6_Forest02_01
    Area Display Name: Tenebris Harbor
    Loc: (-87.7, 30.3, -165.2)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjZfRm9yZXN0MDJfMDF8fCgtODcuNzI5LCAzMC4zNDMsIC0xNjUuMTkyKXwoMCwgMC4wOSwgMCwgMC45OTYpfDEwLjE1NDIyfDguNDI0MTU4fDEuMjU=

Spinok and Retro like this.
  2. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

There haven't been any code changes to resist numbers, and there can be a lot to consider when testing resistances in general. But that doesn't mean there isn't something here...
    Anyone else out there seeing issues like this? We would need some detailed examples. Knowing buffs, debuffs, the exact gear, levels - everything would have to be considered.
    So far, we have not found any issues but we'll keep looking.

@Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure likes this.
  3. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

@Lexie I will post more details about the gear, however I had no buffs up because I was going a test. Can you confirm what is the expected behavior for having 100 resist rating from gear?

4. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

OK here is the gear I was wearing:

Cotton Fortified Cloth Chest Armor of Theurgy Warding +3
    White Iron War Hammer of Theurgy Warding +3
    Necklace of Theurgy Warding +3
    Ring of Theurgy Warding +3
    Copper Rectangle Shield of Theurgy Warding +3

Collectively, these give 100 air resist. Both against players and mobs, this doesn't appear to reduce the damage from air spells.

A guildie and I were speculating... maybe the combat match is still a percentage gain, rather than a rating? That would explain it because Jaan has relatively low air attune to begin with, and then with all this gear on it is almost zero. (Since the gear also gives negative air attune.)

Would make sense that a multiplier of a low number is a really low number. However that doesn't explain actually taking HIGHER damage from Lightning and Discharge from the Relic Hunter.

My sample size wasn't huge, but I recorded about 10 hits from each spell wearing the gear and not wearing the gear. Let me know if there is any specific experiment you would like me to run. @Lexie

Retro likes this.
  5. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

I have feeling of smth wrong. I tested air mage and dealed damages looks not very good on a target without resist from gear at all. So if she use full warding suit, and still gets big damage from air smth is wrong.

Jaanelle DeJure likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.