Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Lack of Landlord/Tenant Management Tools

Discussion in 'Release 44 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Dereck Visaard, Jul 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dereck Visaard

Dereck Visaard Avatar

I'd like to start a thread about the current lack of management tools for the landlord/tenant experience. To quote @DarkStarr in a response to my question on this in the LB B-day telethon:

Dereck Visaard: When the rent system is implemented in R44, will landlords be able to establish rent rules for tenants that resemble how the tax system works? For example, as a landlord, I grant a player tenant permission, assign them to a door in my inn, and then can I assign a COTO/IGG payment schedule, with eviction rules for non-payment? Pretty much like the tax system.
    DarkStarr:
    There are no near term plans for automatic payment / eviction rules. You will have to do those manually for now.

I'm glad that something is planned, but my concern is what "near term" means. R44 is a great step forward in the right direction with tenant permissions, door permissions, etc. But, IMO, leaving it up to landlords to hound 15 tenants for rent each week/month and resort to mail or in-game meets to pay is not a fully implemented system.

We've already seen the Q3 roadmap and while it's fully of awesome things around crafting/commerce, it doesn't say anything about automation for rental payment/eviction. Was that an oversight, or is that not planned? What about Q4?

If you walk around POTs and NPC towns you'll see a TON of inns. I have a few myself. They look great and the rental system is very promising, but please give us the controls we need to manage them!

Some things I think we need wrt controls (some have been stated previously):
    • Fine-gained permission control on items via a matrix UX (supports intersection of all roles [guest through co-owner] and permissions [add, remove, etc], with ability to give specific tenants separate permissions on items)
      • Foe example, tenant A can use that planting bed (plant/water/harvest), but tenant B cannot (but they can still see it), and I as landlord can water tenant A's plants but can't harvest them
    • Ability for landlord to create a weekly/monthly recurring rental schedule, assigned to another player with tenant permission on lot
    • Ability for tenant to accept/reject the recurring schedule (only takes effect when both parties agree)
    • Ability for landlord to specify a lot-wide tenant eviction policy for late/non-payment (e.g. 14 days)
    • Payment and eviction rules governed by the system where tenant is evicted according to policy, items are all sent to bank, and tenant and landlord receive mail.
    • A UX similar to the lot deeds UX that allows for management of the items above.
    • Ability for tenants to pay rent via the UX, add credits, etc.
    • Tradeable mail receipts - this is a must have for any business - provides proof of payment and audit trail

I'd love to hear what other inn owners (current or future) think.

Tamsen and Elwyn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.